Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > More Forums > Reef Club Forums > West Region-Reef Club Forums > Colorado Rocky Mountain Reef Club
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09/16/2007, 11:00 PM
Registered Member

Flushing effect on overflow

I am setting up a new tank right now it is just fresh water and in the garage. I have a hob overflow that can handle 700gph and I have a mag 9.5 that does 700gph at 5ft. So the amount of water is matched up with the overflow. For some reason I get this flushing of water. The water level will rise in the overflow and then drain really quickly, making a flushing sound. How do I fix this?
thanks
Old 09/16/2007, 11:03 PM
Registered Member

sounds like air bubbles in it to me.
Old 09/16/2007, 11:29 PM
Registered Member

http://www.dursostandpipes.com/

I have two of these and it works perfectly.
2 * Korlia 4
Aquamedic Calcium Reactor 1000
Red Sea 50mg Ozonizer
Old 09/16/2007, 11:45 PM
Premium Member

If your HOB overflow is not be able to handle the size of the Durso than I recommend the Hofer Gurgle Buster. This site also includes the plans and differences on the Durso & Stockman VS. the Hoffer.
http://home.everestkc.net/jrobertson57268/HGB/
Old 09/17/2007, 12:00 AM
Registered Member

Yeah I am using stockmans design with the pipe having a section cut out rather then drilled as I was worried about things clogging the pipe.
2 * Korlia 4
Aquamedic Calcium Reactor 1000
Red Sea 50mg Ozonizer
Old 09/17/2007, 01:24 AM
Registered Member

Have you tried reducing the flow to around 500gph. 700gph is a maximum rating I believe. How large is the drain pipe? I was always under the impression that the maximum flow through a 1" pipe (drain) was 600gph.
Old 09/17/2007, 07:25 AM
Registered Member

I am using a stockman down pipe that seems to try to work. I think my next step is to cut down the flow a little. The drain pipe is a 1" inside diameter pipe. I might be trying to push to much water down a too small of a pipe. The overflow doesn't really fit a durso. The stockman fits well but it is still noise.
Old 09/17/2007, 10:30 AM
unruly scotsman

try upping the diameter of your drain hose, making sure that your drain hose is constantly flowing down (no upward bends, etc) and that you are getting adequate release of the water from the drains in your sump.
cheers~!
jon
Old 09/17/2007, 10:58 AM
Registered Member

I am using 11/4" inside diameter vacuum like flex hose that I got at home depot. It is the blue hose that they have up high. Is that not big enough?
Old 09/17/2007, 01:15 PM
Registered Member

That seems like it should be big enough. I think your flow restriction is coming from the 1" drain pipe. If you increased that to 1 1/4" or 1 1/2" that would help tremendously....I just don't know if there would be room in the overflow box to do that.
Old 09/17/2007, 01:39 PM
Registered Member

I think the problem is trying to get 700gph threw a 1" drain pipe. I am going to have to cut the flow to around 600gph or so I think. The 1" is working at 700gph it is not flooding my tank, it is just super noisey.