Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Marine Fish Forums > Reef Fishes
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06/18/2007, 10:14 PM
Registered Member

FD Cyclop-eeze on autofeeder?

I'm considering installing an autofeeder for my two spotted mandarins. They currently browse the LR, and I feed frozen cyclops and brine a couple times a day. I would like to try freeze-dried cyclop-eeze, but want some opinions before I buy a can.

Has anyone experience with mandarins eating this product (remember: specifically talking about the freeze-dried variety)? Also: I was thinking I would put an autofeeder with a rigid tube on it to allow the cyclops to drift to the bottom of the tank, re-hydrating on the way down (otherwise the overflow will just suck them up). Any other ideas for getting the FD cyclops down to the bottom where the mandarins will have a chance of getting to them?

Any other mandarin-autofeeder ideas would be appreciated as well.
Old 06/19/2007, 01:27 PM
ostensibly normal

I'd imagine that it would float if it were just put on the water surface, then go down the overflows. Have you tried doing this?

If you don't have any mechanical filtration, then it might be rehydrated on the way down to the sump then pumped back into the tank.

I'd test it out.
Old 06/19/2007, 04:38 PM
Premium Member

I wouldn't count on them learning to eat it in a established tank. Are they already eatting other foods besides pods?

Carl
Old 06/20/2007, 07:25 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by theop
I'd imagine that it would float if it were just put on the water surface, then go down the overflows. Have you tried doing this?

If you don't have any mechanical filtration, then it might be rehydrated on the way down to the sump then pumped back into the tank.

I'd test it out.
What I intend to do is dispense it into the top of a rigid tube that is mounted vertically -- the top end sticking up out of the water under the autofeeder, and the bottom end coming out near the substrate. I figure the cylopeeze will sink and rehydrate as they fall through the tube.
Old 06/20/2007, 07:26 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by CarlC
I wouldn't count on them learning to eat it in a established tank. Are they already eatting other foods besides pods?

Carl
Yes, they do in fact eat the frozen brine and frozen cyclops that I am feeding, in addition to LR pods.
Old 06/20/2007, 07:57 AM
ostensibly normal

Here's a crazy thought:

Maybe you could put the cyclopeeze in a dissolving gelatin capsule that medicines come in. That would let the capsule sink to the bottom, dissolve, then release the cyclopeeze. You can buy these empty capsules online (Google for "gelatin capsule") and maybe at a pharmacy or veterinarian.

The capsules should be fine for the tank. Aquarium antibiotics sold at pet stores come in these capsules. Also, gelatin is in Formula 1 frozen cubes - the make my skimmer foam up a bit but are otherwise fine.
Old 06/20/2007, 05:57 PM
Premium Member

I was using a food with similar properties as cyclopeeze(I believe it was used as part of the mix) in my autofeeder and as soon as it the water it floated away to the overflow.
I started using a feeder ring to contain the food allowing it to rehydrate and then sink.
This worked well for a few days but a good portion of the food would stick to the ring and accumulate resulting in a mess that needed frequent cleaning.
Your tube idea would be prone to this same problem and without flow thru the tube will possibly be worse.
Old 06/20/2007, 06:07 PM
Premium Member

If you were to add a timmer to your return pump to have it shut your return pump off when the feeder is timed to come on you'll eliminate it going over the overflows. The only problem then would be how long is it going to take to hydrate enough that it sinks.?

Carl