Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Marine Fish Forums > Reef Fishes
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06/14/2007, 03:57 PM
Registered Member

When a good fish goes bad

In my 24g aquapod I have a clown, tiny little green banded goby, purple firefish, and 6 line wrasse who have all lived in harmony for over 6 months (previously I had the same combination in the tank, but lost all original fish except the green banded goby on a long move)

My purple firefish was always out front and center and I used to joke he was trained. My clown stays in her neon green toadstool most of the time, the wrasse is constantly on the move, and the goby bounces around here and there.

About 3 weeks ago out of no where the firefish stopped coming out, he stays in the back area where he sleeps all the time, only peaking out hi head to grab some food when I feed the tank

I couldn't figure out why.

Today when I fed I moved back but watched closely, he started to come out and I got excited, then saw the wrasse chase him back to his spot, this happened several times in a row.

So now I know why he doesn't come out, my wrasse has turned to the dark side.
I always wondered why some people said they were evil and trouble... I always thought they were beautiful, great giant pod/worm eaters, and no trouble.

So now what to do? I can't have my favorite fish (the firefish) hiding living in fear barely getting enough to eat, but I also dread pulling apart my whole tank (jammed with LR and corals) to get the wrasse out... plus did I mention I really like watching her swim?

Ugh. Can't we all just get along LOL

If I do get the wrasse out can anyone recommend another fish that is colorful and always out swimming around but won't harass my firefish?
Old 06/14/2007, 06:23 PM
Premium Member

I always recommend this fish for a small peacefull tank, and if you like yellow this guy should be perfect in my unbiased opinion. Yellow Assessor, they only get around 2" and is perfect for a smaller tank. I have 2 yellows and a blue with a firefish and several others in my 65 with no issues. They stay out all the time so this should work nicely in your situation.

Not the best pics but will give you the idea

Old 06/14/2007, 06:29 PM
Registered Member

Thank you so much for the info and photos, that is a gorgeous little fish. I've actually been thinking I would like a yellow fish for my new 70g so I will be sure to get one for one of my tanks
Old 06/14/2007, 06:30 PM
Premium Member

Six lines can become very aggressive. Build a trap to get her out.

I'd recommend a Lubbucks fairy wrasse. They stay small and are not very aggressive. Lots of movement like the sixline and are very colorful. Mine never even looked at my firefish.

Old 06/14/2007, 08:20 PM
Registered Member

thats such a nice wrasse! nice camera work too!