Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Do It Yourself
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10/11/2007, 01:49 PM
I TiVo SPS growth

DIY Fully automated Moon/Refugium light for $1

We were at Bel Air last night doing some grocery shopping and ran across the Feit LED nightlight 3-pack for $0.99. Grabbed a few packages for the house and realized they could be as moonlights. Well long story short and after about 5 minutes, discovered these have LOTS of uses. Such as replacing the 18w CFL in the fuge, lighting the upcoming pico, even possibly nano.

Each light has a built in photocell, and probably a 5000 mcd white LED @ 0.3w. To the eye, the light spectrum is about the same as a 15k Hamilton.

Step 1. Stop by Bel Air/Raleys and spend $1 for this. Btw, they also have the Greenlite CFL for $0.50 each.

Step 2. Disassemble the LED cover. A small flathead will help.

Step 3. Connect to any AC extension cable/etc.
Old 10/11/2007, 02:05 PM
Registered Member

do they have motion sensors? Or light sensors? I have something that looks like that.. I bought for the bathroom.. but they only turn on when the lights are off and I walk by.
Old 10/11/2007, 02:10 PM
I TiVo SPS growth

Light sensors only; no motion. Had one setup by the bathroom sink last night and could see the glow from in bed.
Old 10/11/2007, 02:31 PM
Registered Member

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000GCJPDA/...A&linkCode=asn

Those are a little more expensive but they also work with a light sensor AND THEY ARE BLUE !!

PS: Wallgreens has them much cheaper