Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Coral Forums > Corallimorpharians

Old 01/08/2008, 07:53 PM
Premium Member

Question Orange Spotted Ricordea won't attach

We bought a small Orange Spotted Ricordea on the weekend. We got a deal on it because it had detached from a larger rock that had 4 or 5 larger ones on it; very nice but way too big for our nano and a tad more than we wanted to spend.

We've been keeping it in a glass (low flow and low light) inside the aquarium with a small piece of rock hoping that it will attach to it but it doesn't seem to want to.

Any ideas on how to make coax it to put down roots?

We're afraid that if we take it out of the glass that it will root somewhere we won't be able to see it...

"Will do computer support for frags!" :)
Old 01/08/2008, 09:11 PM
Registered Member

You could find a clam shell or something like that and set the polyp in it so that it attachs, that's how I have some of my orange and purple ric's. Or you can get some plastic mesh and wrap it around the ric and the rock so that the base of the ric is against the rock, make sure it's loosely held and not tight or the ric will melt. Or you could just give it more time with what your currently doing.
Old 01/09/2008, 09:11 PM
Registered Member

Lance read my mind, the only thing I would add is even though it might attach in a few days leave the netting on 10 to 12 days to make sure it is fully attached before taking off the netting.
I made the mistake of taking it off to soon and it blew off the next day!
Royal gramma
yellow tailed damsel
2 dusters
CB shrimp
14G
percular clown
watchman goby
firefish
pepp. shrimp
red banded goby
Assorted corals
Old 01/09/2008, 10:37 PM
Premium Member

It looks like it has started to attach on it's own today, so we'll leave it as is for a while...I hope that when it finally attaches that it will like where we are going to put it.

"Will do computer support for frags!" :)
Old 01/10/2008, 05:36 PM
Registered Member

Like kingfisher mentions, once it attaches I would probably still leave it there for another week just to make sure it is fully attached so that it doesn't blow away when you move it.