Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Special Interest Group (SIG) Forums > Nano Reefs
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12/19/2007, 05:16 PM
Registered Member

Looks like its doing great Hodge! I am going to try a few more small sps frags as well. I figure as long as they are at the top 1/3 of the tank they are being blasted by light.

I don't know about you all... But I do not want to do any more work until after the first of year! Ive been surfing the net and playing with the tanks all day.
Old 12/19/2007, 05:17 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Hodge
This is one of my sps frags (Pocillopora) which is doing quite well under stock lighting.
Hey Hodge can you tell me what the anenome "thing" is in the bottom middle of the pic just under you Pocillopora? I have quite a few on my LR just wondering what they were?

The Pocillopora looks really healthy well done!
Old 12/19/2007, 05:20 PM
Registered Member

That would be a Aiptasia I believe or how ever you spell that crazy word, they are bad!
Old 12/19/2007, 05:26 PM
Genuine reef addict

I spoke too soon!

Y-DesygnGuy - nice rics! I hope you find the missing orange one! Try looking when the moonlights are on - if it fell in a crack and gets hits with the moonlights you may be able to the glow of the orange one. That SPS sure looks better after such a short time!

Hodge - nice polyp extension on your SPS! Is that a Turbinaria (Pagoda cup) coral to the left of it or ???

I spoke too soon on my clowns never being seen in the lower half of the tank. They were down there when I got home, and the bigger female seems to be taking a liking to my acan. Weird, since it's not a type with long tentacles like the frogspawn, Euphyllia or flower anemone. It's almost like being hosted by a rock, but I guess it's no different than falling in love with my Koralia. I hope the Koralia's feelings aren't hurt!
Old 12/19/2007, 05:28 PM
Genuine reef addict

gigs - I think that's a paly (zoa type). Correct me if I'm wrong Hodge.
Old 12/19/2007, 05:37 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Reefmack
gigs - I think that's a paly (zoa type). Correct me if I'm wrong Hodge.
Yeah I wasnt sure, because I have both types on my LR I think I know which ones are "antipasta" and I wasnt sure if I should be trying to get rid of the paly as you call them as well but if they are a zoa they should be ok?
Old 12/19/2007, 06:03 PM
Registered Member

thanks hodge & Reefmack for the acclimating info re the frags.
Should I be buying some type of glue to keep the frags on the live rock? I can't really take my LR out of the tank to dry it though. In my larger aquarium, I always bought colonies, so they were on a substantial piece of rock, and then I'd work at it, to get it placed securely in the location it was suited for.

mbdave, you're making great progress with the RSM-D. This is exciting ... and even room for media ... that will be a real advantage!! I'm anticipating the 'unveiling' ... maybe we can all get together and 'toast' your new skimmer!

Y-DesynGuy: Your missing ric is a very nice one!!!! Your other ricordea are very healthy looking & lots of nice color. I especially like the 'blue' one. And I'm impressed with the zoas .... wow, beautiful colors.
I've never kept any SPS. Good job & again, your tank must be in a healthy state to aid one back to health. Way to go!!

Reefmack, so your clowns are looking to host something different for now? Are you planning on an anemone ... or do you already have one? I'd love one, but I think it may cause a substantial problem in my tank.
Sorry, I knew you had a flower coral, but forgot!
Old 12/19/2007, 06:22 PM
Registered Member

Donna53W - Reefmack is right, I can get a couple of fingers back there - my fingers are long enough that I can do some of this without pulling the pumps off.

gigs - I agree it is not aiptasia & should be fine.
Old 12/19/2007, 06:59 PM
Genuine reef addict

Funny - I looked at the pic again & now I'm not 100% sure it isn't aiptasia. My vote's still on the paly though.

Y-DesygnGuy - you get an A+ for spelling Aiptasia correctly!

Donna - the only anemone I'll probably ever have is the flower. It moves around a bit, but just an inch or so one way or another (knock on wood again!). I'd love to have a BTA but just don't want to always worry about it moving around, plus possibly getting sucked into the gate, or homogenized by the Koralia. Unfortunately the flowers don't usually host clowns, but I've seen pics that it has happened. BTW the clowns were back by the Koralia a few minutes ago. On the zoa polyps, if it was me I'd dry out a few small pieces of LR and superglue them to those, then into the tank to cool them off. Then that small base can later be glued/epoxied somewhere else later on. Superglue gel will bond underwater - why the gel is recommended - you can put a blob on and it won't already be dry by the time you walk to the tank. That's just my preferred method with the single or tiny bunches of loose polyps. They can be out of water for several minues, but once you put the glue on they need to shortly after be dunked in water, as the glue releases heat while bonding (as with epoxy putty). I hope that all makes sense?
Old 12/19/2007, 07:20 PM
Registered Member

Reefmack -- LOL, I totally looked it up, I had no idea how to spell that, shoot I have a hard time even saying it.
Old 12/19/2007, 08:06 PM
Registered Member

how many peppermint shrimp would you recommend getting?
Old 12/19/2007, 08:12 PM
Registered Member

does anyone have a cucumber in theirs?
Old 12/19/2007, 08:20 PM
Registered Member

WOW!!
http://www.liveaquaria.com/diversden...2860&siteid=20
Old 12/19/2007, 08:45 PM
Registered Member

holy **** those are nice!
Old 12/19/2007, 09:25 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by stephensturman
how many peppermint shrimp would you recommend getting?
I would recommend 2, as they like company, & supposedly they will be 'out' more, than a single one would. I've had them in the past, can't say I saw a lot of my pair ... they were busiest at night. Maybe someone else has different experience. Mine did eat aiptasia, before it got too big, so they were valuable in the tank.
Old 12/19/2007, 09:28 PM
Genuine reef addict

Quote:
Originally posted by Y-DesygnGuy
Reefmack -- LOL, I totally looked it up, I had no idea how to spell that, shoot I have a hard time even saying it.
Hah! It took me a while to get some of these things burned into my brain too.

Stephensturman - I used to have 2 peppermints for a while. One disappeared. Added another - still only saw one. Added 2 more and I still think I only have one of the originals left. The last 2 were very small ones and I think my big goby considered those 2 small enough to have for dinner. Inverts don't contribute much to bioload, and I think 2-3 in the RSM is no problem. I always know I have one because he spends every day upside down in the exact same location. Goes out strolling at night and flawlessly finds his way home by morning. These little critters amaze me that they find a spot and can return to it. Same with the serpent star - spends the daylight hours in the same little cavern. On the cucumber I don't know - some get pretty large for the RSM. I know Glalderman had one in his RSM, a tiger cuke I think, but I'm not sure if he still does.

mbdave - I was too late once again to see what the liveaquaria link was to - it must have sold while I was downstairs. What was it?
Old 12/19/2007, 09:37 PM
Registered Member

Finally figured out photobucket, and read the first 8 pages of the thread and skimmed the next 80, and read the last 25 entirely. This FTS is not totally up to date, The Maxima died after 1 month in the tank. I guess not enough light. Don't know, but the thing was fine at 8:00a.m., and shell totally cleaned out at 10:00a.m.

And my lovely sun coral

Old 12/19/2007, 09:43 PM
Professional Obfuscator

Pretty tank! Luv it!!!

And that's how a sun coral is supposed to look! Mine is still too skinny...although it's eating very well!
Old 12/19/2007, 10:14 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by stephensturman
ok can we keep micro, acan and blastos with stock lighting?
Yes you can. All three do well in my stock RSM.

Mike
Old 12/19/2007, 10:41 PM
Registered Member

stephensturam - I have a cuccumber. It is a Holothuria, but cannot remember the actual species of the top of my head (all black one).

Doesn't move much, but does appear to be growing...

Can't tell you much else about it

Cheers
Old 12/20/2007, 12:23 AM
Premium Member

i love your RSM reefsr4me! got my fingers crossed one day my sun coral will look as good as yours.
Old 12/20/2007, 12:49 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by reefsr4me
Finally figured out photobucket, and read the first 8 pages of the thread and skimmed the next 80, and read the last 25 entirely. This FTS is not totally up to date, The Maxima died after 1 month in the tank. I guess not enough light. Don't know, but the thing was fine at 8:00a.m., and shell totally cleaned out at 10:00a.m.
Beautiful tank reefsr4me! How long have you had it set up? Your corals are very nice ... how long have you had the Sun Coral ... do you feed it every day?

Is that a Linkia star at the top left of the first picture?

Nice to see you here.
Donna
Old 12/20/2007, 01:20 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by gigs
Hey Hodge can you tell me what the anenome "thing" is in the bottom middle of the pic just under you Pocillopora? I have quite a few on my LR just wondering what they were?

The Pocillopora looks really healthy well done!
Majano anemone me thinks.
Old 12/20/2007, 08:03 AM
Genuine reef addict

reefsr4me - your tank looks great! I saw your sun coral in gigs post - beautiful! Something I'd love to have but don't know if I want to have to add feeding one to all of my other RSM duties. Strage on the maxima being consumed that quickly, but I recently lost a large astrea snail, due to me thinking it would eventually be able to turn itself over - not! Anyway, my crew of nasarrius snails come up out of the substrate like little vultures and cleaned the thing out in no time at all.

Hodge - if you can get a better pic of that "unknown" that would be good. We now have votes for Aiptasia, paly, and Majano. I have a few Majano, and I suppose that's another possibility. They don't quite look like the critter in your picture though.
Old 12/20/2007, 10:16 AM
Registered Member

Rue: Thanks for the compliment

Donna: Tank has been set up for 5 months now, I fed the Sun every other to every third day. I feed it with cubed brine shrimp, PH off, put the cube in a 60 cc syringe with a 18" piece of airline tubing, and keep the syringe out of the tank with one hand, and put my hand in the tank and guide the end of the tube to all of the corals mouths.

I don't know the exact name of the star, it is reddish orange with bumbs all ofer it, mostly stays on the glass, bought it at a LFS and it was just called a red star! any ID would be helpful.

Reefmack: Thanks for the compliments, I have about 15 nasarrius snails that I know devoured him, because the shell was covered in their slime. Not saying they killed him, bud definatly cleaned him up