Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > More Forums > Reef Club Forums > West Region-Reef Club Forums > Southern California Reefers
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10/19/2007, 07:35 PM
Registered Member

Lightbulb I'm pairing my Maroons today. uh oh

I'm going to do the Strawberry container method. I just put the bag in my tank and my female was going ape $&($ but I guess as long as the small male submits than they should be ok right?
Old 10/19/2007, 07:49 PM
Registered Member

well, he can submit all he wants but if you're female does't let up she'll kill him. just make sure he stays in the container for a few days and hopefully they'll be ok.

or maybe it's been a long time since she's had the "company" of a male... hahaha
Old 10/19/2007, 07:53 PM
Moved On

if she attacks the bag, you're pretty much SOL with that one, take it back to the LFS. after dozens of tries when i finely got a match she took to the bag immediately rubbing it.
Old 10/19/2007, 08:24 PM
Reefer

He can submit all he wants, but as already mentioned, don't let him out as she may kill him.

Good luck. I'd love to get mine a mate, but then I'd keep getting attached to all the ones I brought home and I'd end up with a bunch of small tanks to keep them all in.

Joyce
Old 10/19/2007, 08:28 PM
Reef Joker

isolate the male in someting, ie container with mesh top, and put where the female can see him. her aggression will lessen in a few days and then you can release the male.
I used this method with sucess, as have others on board here.
Old 10/19/2007, 08:41 PM
Registered Member

Yes I had him in a strawberry container so that he can come in and out and the female cannot fit. So far she hasn't paid much attention to him partly because he's swimming around and uptop and she is just in her anemone. We'll see. I'll keep everyone posted.
Old 10/20/2007, 12:33 AM
Registered Member

mate

When I did this the female killed the first male and was ferociusly attacking the second one.He barely had any fins left.I hung a clear plastic container with holes in it in the upper part of the tank and put her in it for about 4-5 days.That did the trick.When she finally got out she was much calmer and did not chase him around, although it still took another week before she let him near the anenome.
Old 10/20/2007, 01:14 AM
Registered Member

from what im reading i must have got luck ... i have had a large Gsm female for almost a year... one day while i was at the lfs i found a small Gsm and decided to buy it after i acclimated him i dropped him in the tank and they danced together for hours now they always hang out together....
Old 10/20/2007, 03:17 AM
Registered Member

well the female chased him around the tank until he finally jumped into the back of my aquapod where i have a mini refuge setup. He's just chillen in there. I'm going to try the clear container method.
Thanks.
Old 10/20/2007, 06:59 AM
Moved On

if she chased him, you need to try another fish, you're not going to have any luck with that one.
Old 10/20/2007, 10:43 AM
Registered Member

I just had a luck on my side, ordered a large gold banded maroon and a small one. I had read all the different ways of introducing the two but gave them a try with each other right away during aclimation. they havent been seperated since.
Old 10/20/2007, 11:01 AM
Moved On

My clown chased the other one originally but she got over it and now they chill in the frogspawn together
Old 10/20/2007, 03:28 PM
Registered Member

You can also try this,

1. Move your female to another tank for a week or two.

2. Add yor new male to the female's old tank. Let him get established

3. After a week or two add the female back to her old home.

4. This puts the discomfort on the female rather than the male.

This is just another way of doing things. It may work it may not.
Old 10/20/2007, 11:56 PM
Registered Member

morgman hows that pair i sold you
Old 10/21/2007, 02:33 AM
Registered Member

kmax wrote:
Quote:
morgman hows that pair i sold you
They are looking good. They have some real deep orange colors. What were you feeding them?

thanks again,

Morgan
Old 10/21/2007, 09:43 AM
Moved On

Cyclop-Eeze is the best food hands down for intense coloration.
Old 10/21/2007, 12:17 PM
Registered Member

Morgman has it right! Put the female in the clear container and let the male swim around the container .Let the female get used to it and calm down.That is what worked for me.
Old 10/21/2007, 02:58 PM
Cruisin In the bad Merc

The more i read about paring them just makes me feel like i got lucky. I had a large GSM and i got a small one from my cousin I aclamated him for a while then when the lights were out for a couple of hours. I put him in ............................................. I woke up the next morning and they were BOTH in my anenome so as I said I feel I got really lucky. I have since got another anenome and now they each have one. Good Luck !!!!!!!
Old 10/21/2007, 07:02 PM
Moved On

Quote:
Originally posted by russ49merc
The more i read about paring them just makes me feel like i got lucky.................I have since got another anenome and now they each have one. Good Luck !!!!!!!

if they aren't staying in the same one, they aren't paired.
Old 10/22/2007, 10:25 AM
Cruisin In the bad Merc

LOL I said in it that in less than 12 hours they were both in the same anenome and were in there for about a month then I got another anenome and now they each have there own. IMHO the pairing part has everything to do with being able to have 2 GSM in the same tank.

Quote:
Originally posted by JetCat USA
if they aren't staying in the same one, they aren't paired.
Old 10/22/2007, 10:37 AM
Certified Booty Hunter

When I paired mine, the larger establish female wanted nothing to do with the new addition, she almost killed the new male, so I put the male in my fuge, then i went to target and bought those disposable tupperwares and cut some holes in it, put it in the tank and had the smaller male in there, after 24 hours I thought I'd give it another try and released it, now they are inseperable, this method really works in my opinion, I would try this before, as some suggested taking it back to lfs.
Old 10/22/2007, 12:20 PM
Moved On

there are vast differences between establishing dominance, pair bonding and being paired.
Old 10/22/2007, 12:54 PM
Crawfish Eating Reefer

Okay I'm curious. Say if 2 GSM have been paired and are "inseparable" as you guys mention, now if you separate them for a week and then reunite them, will they remember that they're husbands and wives or will the fighting/courting ritual start all over.

In short, do they have a memory of some sort?
Old 10/22/2007, 01:10 PM
Certified Booty Hunter

Why would you take one out and put it back in? quarintine purposes, if you would do that, why wouldnt you quarintine both, FWIW I think they would remember eachother, and have lots of makeup sex when their reunited, lol.
Old 10/22/2007, 01:13 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Morgman
kmax wrote:

They are looking good. They have some real deep orange colors. What were you feeding them?

thanks again,

Morgan
steak and lobster j/k
formula 2 and mysid