Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > The Reef Chemistry Forum
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06/30/2007, 01:14 PM
Team RC Member

I gotta be to work at 3p today and 'm working 16 hrs tomorrow so maybe Monday, I'll mix up a small batch and test the calcium again.
Old 07/03/2007, 09:57 AM
Team RC Member

Howard, tested another batch of Seachem Reef Salt this morning. Again 35 ppt or 1.0265

Calcium tested a little lower this time. about 540 ppm.

Mag came in at about 1450 with another Salifert mag kit. (more believable than the 1740 I got the first time. The Seachem mag test reported 1125.

What's interesting about this new calcium figure is this.

I've been saying all along that the Seachem Calcium kit reads about 70 ppm lower than the Salifert or AP!.

The 470 you get plus 70 is 540 ppm . Interesting huh ?
Old 07/03/2007, 01:13 PM
Registered Member

there is definitely some bad batches of salifert mag kits. Mine test 1500 on everything too. I've ordered the seachem kit because I know that tmpro tests at 1200 or lower when mixed to 1.026
Old 08/17/2007, 12:26 AM
Registered Member

Billy I think you need to test again as your results are completely inconsistent with mine and therefore must be incorrect.....and how are you calibrating your refractometer?

I have now switched to Crystal Sea Bioassay Laboratory Salt. Well I haven't actually used it yet but I have mixed up a few 5g jugs ready to go.
Old 08/17/2007, 12:39 AM
Team RC Member

Wow, you revived a six week old thread.

My refractometer is calibrated with Pinpoint 53mS calibration fluid and is spot on when comparing to my lab grade floating hydrometer.

And I don't need to test again because I am quite satisfied that my results are reasonably accurate.

If you believe in your Seachem kits, thats ok. I don't. We will never agree on this. And thats ok too.

IIRC, You tested your Seachems calcium against API's and they matched exactly.

I tested API's with Seachem and the Seachem was 70 ppm lower. And the Salifert matched the API.

If anyone can provide a logical explanation for this phenomenon please, put me out of my misery.
Old 08/17/2007, 12:50 AM
Team RC Member

Quote:
Originally posted by HowardW
I have now switched to Crystal Sea Bioassay Laboratory Salt. Well I haven't actually used it yet but I have mixed up a few 5g jugs ready to go.
I haven't tested that salt yet.............. Thank God.
Old 08/17/2007, 12:54 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Billybeau1
I haven't tested that salt yet.............. Thank God.

Don't confuse this brand with another brand that has a similar name.
Old 08/17/2007, 01:13 AM
Team RC Member

Quote:
Originally posted by HowardW
Don't confuse this brand with another brand that has a similar name.
I think you took my statement wrong. I wasn't dissing the new salt mix you chose. I have never used it and have no experience with it.

I was saying, if I haven't tested it yet then we can't disagree on our brands of calcium test kits.

I thought it was funny when I wrote it.
Old 08/17/2007, 01:29 AM
Registered Member

<<< I tested API's with Seachem and the Seachem was 70 ppm lower >>>

I don't remember if I asked but did you try the reference and did it match? Also did you bring it to Seachems attention? It's just a mystery to me because I have used Seachem salt for sooo long and the calcium has always been within certain params give or take 30ppm and never has been over 500ppm. I also just bought a new Seachem Calcium kit and I still get the same consistent readings and still agrees with the API Ca. readings. I guess it's just the mystery of the pyramids?
Old 08/17/2007, 01:47 AM
Team RC Member

Yes, the reference matched the Seachem, but I was unable to test the Seachem reference with another test kit. (Can't remember why now)

No, I didn't bring it to Seachems attention because the reference sample THEY provided, matched their kit.

I even bought a new Seachem kit after the first time we talked and it read just like the old one. And I've had another API kit and another Salifert kit since we talked and still same-o same-o.

I'm just going to have to come over one day with my testing supplies and test your water.
Old 08/17/2007, 10:27 PM
Registered Member

<<< I'm just going to have to come over one day with my testing supplies and test your water. >>>

More then welcome to stop by anytime
Old 08/17/2007, 11:35 PM
Gold Member

Send each other some salt for testing.