Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Coral Forums > LPS Keepers
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10/17/2007, 10:17 PM
Registered Member

Aleveopora Experts Look Here...

THE HISTORY

I have had this Aleveopora for about 9 months or so. It was originally in my 24g Pod under 70wMH and flourished. It was on the bottom in a lower flow area and the tentacles would stretch 6inches or more.

When I bought it it was mostly green in color and had three "bulbs/heads". It has split more since then I currently have roughly 4 "bulbs/heads" and fragged and given 2 nice size ones to friends.

I placed it in my 75g 4 months ago under (2)175w MH and a tank that has a lot more flow. I did place it in a shielded flow area and on the bottom. Everything seems fine in terms of growth and extension. Maybe not quite as long extension which I would attribute to not stretching for light so much. Same/Similar dosing reginment, water changes etc.

THE "PROBLEM"
The pics and "problems" I see started while in the 24g and have not really changed any since moving it into the 75g...

I have noticed that it seems to be spotted reddish on the tentacles and occasional bubble like appearances. I wasn't sure if this was a normal color change or not.
As well when first introduced the tentacles seemed to close completely into the skeleton at night, where as now it never does.
Additionally, when I went to move a piece several nights ago after the lights were out it seemed/looked like the brownish/red stuff was falling off the coral as it closed and I touched it.

ONCE again the coral is still growing and seems "normal" in every other way.

THE PICS
These were taken shortly after the first light came on today and the coral was first starting to expand.

The later pics are ones I took after "nudging" the tentacles to go back into the skeleton to get some pics of the skeletal base. I circled a few examples, but it is like this throughout the coral.

Old 10/17/2007, 11:07 PM
Registered Member

Thoose are flat worms that may actually be eating your coral. If they are not eating the coral they can smother it causing it not to get enough light for proper heath. Either way they are a bad thing. Give the Alveopora a dip in some tank water mixed with Flatworm Exit and that will solve your problem.
Old 10/17/2007, 11:25 PM
Registered Member

Thanks CableGuy!

Quick research show you to be correct! Good eye! I will get some exit and treat....

Thanks again.
Old 10/17/2007, 11:30 PM
Registered Member

NP, a freind of mine had some on his plate coral that I spotted while I was feeding his tank when he was away. We just treated the plate coral in some tank water and FWE and the plate coral was good to go!
Old 10/18/2007, 12:22 AM
Geek

Yep definitely dreaded flatworms Best of luck recovering your coral! Maybe try also to add TMPCC , lugol's or another type of iodone solution to the FW dip to help soothe the irritated flesh left on the coral. Hopefully it'll just grow back over where it was eaten\receeded.

If they are all over try checking out the flatworm eXit stuff- but be careful to follow the directions closely for best results.

Also, you say its now in a 75g? Maybe consider a wrasse that may have potential to pick at them. Beautiful fish with a great function if you're lucky to find one that does
Old 10/19/2007, 12:48 AM
Registered Member

The last time I had flatworms on a torch I took the torch out and put it in a bucket with the FWE for a few minutes. It recovered very quickly after this. Just make sure to not overdose and do waterchanges after using it.
Old 10/21/2007, 12:06 AM
Registered Member

Flatworm Exit....

I removed the coral from the display tonight and did a treatment with the flatworm exit in a smaller container. MAN there were a TON of flatworms on the coral. Good thing I isolated it during the first treatmnet, I would hate to have released that many flatworms and associated toxicity into the main system.

I plan to treat the entire tank later this weekend when I finally get some water made and the time to do water change following treatment.

I documented tonights action by taking some pictures for everybody. I will get some pics of the coral "after" tomorrow when lights are on it opens back up.

Just going in... You can see them "squirming" on the coral!

5-10 mins in....starting to fall off...

After some shaking, about 15mins in....where are they all coming from!

30 Mins later.....The Aftermath!

Old 10/21/2007, 02:12 AM
Registered Member

Wow Best of luck on the recovery. You should be off to a good start
Old 10/21/2007, 10:28 PM
Registered Member

Recovery Begins

The coral seems to be responding great to the treatment. Both pieces are back into the display system and opening up. I see no signs of flatworms currently, but I still plan to treat the main system later this week to be safe.

While the coral has not shown full extension, all of it is opening up somewhat. I find this to be common whenever I have moved or handled Aleveopora this much.

Here are some picture updates.

Not the greatest pics tonight but you can see the white and green polyp tips/centers again! I can't wait until it settles back in and looks completely beautiful again!

Old 10/22/2007, 03:39 PM
Registered Member

Nice look alve!

Good thread in case my alve gets like that.

On a side note, I rescued a dying alve from the LFS for 10 bucks (frag tank). It had maybe 10 stalks sticking out and the rest was bare skeleton. But the 10 stalks were really OPEN, so I thought what the heck let me try it.

After trying to target feed different foods, I found that it really opens up when I squirt DT's oyster eggs at it. Have you tried target feeding your alve and if so, what do you use?
Old 10/22/2007, 03:40 PM
Registered Member

Nice look alve!

Good thread in case my alve gets like that.

On a side note, I rescued a dying alve from the LFS for 10 bucks (frag tank). It had maybe 10 stalks sticking out and the rest was bare skeleton. But the 10 stalks were really OPEN, so I thought what the heck let me try it.

After trying to target feed different foods, I found that it really opens up when I squirt DT's oyster eggs at it. Have you tried target feeding your alve and if so, what do you use?
Old 10/22/2007, 09:12 PM
Registered Member

I target feed on occasion with cyclopeeze...