Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion

Old 01/09/2008, 06:07 PM
Registered Member

Dead material deep inside rocks!!!! Help

I had a royal Gramma that suddenly dissapered scince the 6th and apperntly he's dead but I cant get him out of this huge peice of live rock and he's rotting my tank. I already did a 20% water change on it but my softies are dieing! And dieng fast! Please If you have any sugestions please help!
Old 01/09/2008, 06:16 PM
Registered Member

Are you sure that's what is causing your softies trouble? What does your ammonia test say? If your CUC can't get to him in the rock, I'd take the rock out and let it rot in a bucket.
Old 01/09/2008, 06:19 PM
Registered Member

if it is only a 30 gallon tank i would remove the piece of rock and get the fish out of the hole it died in (try holding the rock upside down from the hole and using a turkey baster with tank water to blast the carcass out. If this is not a option, make your water changes larger and more frequent until your parameters come back down... What is your water testing at now? What kind of clean up crew do you have to help with these kind of situations?
Old 01/09/2008, 06:34 PM
Registered Member

do you have any bristleworms?, they should be able to get to it.
Old 01/09/2008, 06:46 PM
Registered Member

I have no bristle worms. I have one 40 lbs live rock. plenty flow. and it is a 30 gal
Old 01/09/2008, 06:47 PM
Registered Member

I just completed the water change, and I will return w/ test reults.
Old 01/11/2008, 07:19 AM
Premium Member

criticle,

I agree with myrddrall, definitely check your ammonia and nitrite. 30lbs of LR in your tank should be able to process the waste from a small decaying fish, especially if the lr has been curing for a long time. Look at any other changes in your tank, including new lighting or filtration as well, as it is easy to "shock" corals, even softies. Also check phosphate and nitrate levels. If everything is testing good (and by good I mean <1ppm phosphate, <10ppm nitrate, 0 NH3, and 0 NO2) then your dead fish is not the issue. When is the last time you have checked your salinity? If you are worried about detritus build-up in your rocks, simply take a powerhead and use it to "blow" any buildup in your rocks out, and promptly complete another thorough water change.
Old 01/11/2008, 07:24 AM
Premium Member

Oh, one more thing,

What are your pH, calcium, and alkalinity levels in your tank? I know many people would tell you that you don't really need supplimentation in a tank of softies, but your job as an aquarist is to recreate as closely as you can, the parameters of the ocean. You will find this is rarely less than 400ppm calcium, 9dKH, or a pH of anything too far from 8.2. Just having your calcium, pH, and alkalinity at ideal and steady levels will make up for other areas that are lacking.