Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Responsible Reefkeeping
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 01/03/2008, 08:13 PM
Registered Member

Re: Boycot Petco

Quote:
Originally posted by dhodorow
I think that we should all boycot Petco entirely. Don't buy anything from one of their stores. Recently, a new Petco opened up in my area. I received a $30.00 gift certificate from someone for my birthday. Having the gift certificate, I thought that I would check out Petco. Low and behold, they had some marine fish and corals. I check things out, everything looked pretty good, so I purchased. I spent my gift certificate on a Kole Tang. I took the fish home, aclimated him with a two hour drip acclimation, was careful not to transfer any water from the bag, and made the mistake of putting him into the main tank (180 gal.) without quarantining the fish first. The fish was dead in the morning, and I began to notice some of the other fish in the tank with ick. Within two days, my Lemon Peel Angel died (which I had for 2.5 years), my Flame Angel died (which I had for about 3 years), and a maroon clown followed shortly after that. I had about 6 green chromis that didn't seem affected, and a lawn mower blenny that didn't show any signs of stress. I decided to find out what Petco's policy was. The manager said that someone "should" have told me that marine fish did not carry any kind of stay alive warranty. I walked over to the tanks and sure enough almost all of the tanks were showing sever signs of stress. The manager didn't seem to care. I decided to go to the petco website and file a complaint which I did, and to this day have not received any responses (3 months later). My suggestion to anyone is to stay away. Don't risk any of our precious systems to anything from Petco. They just don't care about our hobby!
I'm onboard. I'll get my dog food at another place...and no more marine purchases there either!

72 Gal bowfront
SunPod 2x150W 14K HQI-MH w/ 18 Lunar Lights
Tidepool II w/ Euro-Reef RS-100
Osmolator Universal 3155
2 Hydor Koralia 3 @ 850 gph