Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > New to the Hobby
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10/27/2006, 04:12 PM
Premium Member

You really can't compare the 2 rock. They are 100% totally different.
You will experience die off in rock not shipped in water, that's for sure.

While TBS does have some bad critters, so does the figi. I think it really is a matter of what look you like best.
Old 10/27/2006, 04:14 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by jazz881
Hello everyone. I am new here, found this while reading the TBS site for about a year now. Just purchased a 12 gallon Aquapod and can't wait until it arrives and I can place an order with TBS. There is so much useful info here I have a feeling I will be here on a daily basis.
Wayne
Won't that be really expensive to get TBS for such a small tank?
Old 10/27/2006, 04:26 PM
Registered Member

About $155.00 for the package and $60.00 for shipping.
Old 10/27/2006, 04:28 PM
Registered Member

I have calculated my all in to have a full blown reef nano to be less than $500.00. Not too bad if you ask me.
Old 10/29/2006, 01:44 AM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by BrianPlankis
Hey all,

Well, my SEIOs gave out over MACNA and won't restart. So the budget comitttee has approved TUNZE streams! YEAH!!! So I'm getting ready to buy one large pump and the new Tunze Nanostream when they come out later.

I know some of you bought the Tunze pumps (I know Pat did), I was wondering, did you buy the magnet holder too? How thick is the magnet on the outside of the tank? I only have 1/2 to 3/4" clearance on the outside of the tank for a magnet holder.

Brian
Unless they improved the standard holder the tunze streams come with - definitely go with the magnet. It was clear to me the engineers were focused on designing a quality pump but not a holder...or maybe they did that on purpose for you to spree the extra $$$ on the magnet holder. I've read some DIY'ers create a magnet holder...

Please pass along any tips so that I can impress upon my budget committee ways to increase the budget...
Old 10/29/2006, 08:02 AM
Premium Member

You should be able to fit the magnet with the space you have. They are between ½- 3/4" (probably 5/8". I don't know what all those other #'s are in-between)
They are well worth the money though. Very easy to move around to find a place where the flow is just right.
Old 10/29/2006, 10:59 AM
Invertebrate Advocate

Thanks for the input Pat and Phil! I'm definitely going with a magnet holder. They have a magnet on Marine Depot that is smaller and cheaper than the Tunze magnet, so I'm going to get this one:

http://www.marinedepot.com/md_viewIt...product=AF1511

I also looked at the right side of my tank and discovered I have 1" of clearance on the outside, so no worries about the magnet!

I found a local reef club member that has a Tunze 6100 that he might sell me used. Talk about flow!

Phil, my suggestion for increasing the budget is to tell the budget committee that if you buy quality you won't have keep replacing the cheap stuff that keeps breaking That and bring in a few cheap frags of colorful SPS corals and then take the budget committee to MACNA and show the committee how pretty some larger SPS colonies are and that they need high flow.

Brian
Old 10/29/2006, 11:21 AM
Premium Member

I saw those magnets. They look like a good idea and they also work with Seio's and Maxijets. I was thinking of getting one for my Seio that I keep in my water change can. The Seio suction cups keep falling off the side of the Brute can.
Old 10/29/2006, 12:36 PM
Registered Member

I had a maxi jet 900 fall from the side of the tank when the suction cups failed-- it fell into the rock work so its output was shooting water out of the tank I lost probably 10 gallons of water onto the floor... after that, I won't use suction cups anymore. The brackets that come with maxi jets and seios aren't that easy to put on an acrylic tank (that has that big border on the top of the tank). Seems like the magnetic holder might be a good way to go.
Old 10/30/2006, 01:07 PM
Invertebrate Advocate

Quote:
Originally posted by ratherbediving
I had a maxi jet 900 fall from the side of the tank when the suction cups failed-- it fell into the rock work so its output was shooting water out of the tank I lost probably 10 gallons of water onto the floor... after that, I won't use suction cups anymore. The brackets that come with maxi jets and seios aren't that easy to put on an acrylic tank (that has that big border on the top of the tank). Seems like the magnetic holder might be a good way to go.
Yeah, I think magnets are the best way to go, I have some special brackets for Nick's Acyrlic reef and they eliminate the worry of the powerhead falling into the sand or shooting water out of the tank, but they keep the flow near the top of the tank only. I'm getting a Tunze pump and will eventually also get a Tunze Nanostream 6045 (also mounts by a magnet) once they are available.

BTW...I know some of you purchased those DJ power strips, the ones with the red switches. I had the website bookmarked, but lost my bookmarks recently. Could someone point me to the website where I could purchase one? I'm going to be redoing my tank to focus on breeding corals and inverts and I want one of those DJ power strips so I don't have unplug things all the time.

I am starting to plan a major redesign of my system, if any of you want to follow along, you can just bookmark my thread:

http://www.projectdibs.com/forums/showthread.php?t=299

Brian
Old 10/30/2006, 01:32 PM
King of the Tank!

Here you go Brian - American DJ PC-100A 8-Switch ON/OFF Power Center

Good luck with the project!!

Jay
Old 10/30/2006, 04:01 PM
Invertebrate Advocate

Quote:
Originally posted by jmait769
Here you go Brian - American DJ PC-100A 8-Switch ON/OFF Power Center

Good luck with the project!!

Jay
Thanks Jay! Much appreciated!
Old 10/31/2006, 09:10 AM
Premium Member

Has anyone else here had any experience catching polyclad flatworms? I believe I have a 2" gray one in my tank, and I am learning that they are predatory towards snails. I really don't know how I'm going to get it out of the tank, as I am reading that they just kind of disintegrate when you grab them, and possibly the various pieces then form new flatworms. Is removing a rock that I see it on the only way to catch it? Of course I spotted it on the 45lb monster boulder in my tank...
Old 10/31/2006, 09:25 AM
King of the Tank!

techreef - I have caught two and have not seen any for about two months. I used a rod and net. After I spotted it I used the rod to block its path and guided it to a spot I could use the net. Believe me this took a few time and required a lot of patience as they can plunge into a hole quick!! The last one I stabbed and I just made sure it was near the net to get it all in. They slime a lot too!!

HTH

Jay
Old 10/31/2006, 10:17 AM
Premium Member

Ugh. Thanks Jay. Sounds like a lovely way to spend an afternoon.
Old 10/31/2006, 10:18 AM
Registered Member

I honestly can't wait to deal with all the "bad" guys that I will find. Of course I say that now, but a few days in and I will have a different perspective I am sure.
Old 11/02/2006, 11:16 AM
Robotic Overlord

The Royal Gramma Blues

Yeah, Im still alive.............

I hate Royal Grammas, I have NEVER been able to keep one. They are suposed to be simple, easy, hardy fish.

With me they just die, they normally dont make it much past QT time.

I dont get it. I have fish that are suposed to be MUCH harder to keep. In fact, Ive had some of my fish for 2.5 years and they are going strong. But add one Royal Gramma and the thing is dead within a month.

Arrrrgggghhhhh.

Anyways, I know I havent posted in forever, but the tank is doing GREAT. Although I need to replace my PC bulbs as the tank has that yellow/green tinge to it from the old lights.
Old 11/03/2006, 04:43 PM
Registered Member

Picking up the first half of my package tonight!!!!
Old 11/03/2006, 05:04 PM
Registered Member

cool take LOTS of pictures

"The cheese stands alone."
Old 11/03/2006, 05:09 PM
Registered Member

I certainly will!
Old 11/03/2006, 07:46 PM
Premium Member

Don't feel bad DW, I can't keep firefish for some reason. I have had 3 and they have all died within a few days after putting them in the tank.
Old 11/03/2006, 09:30 PM
Invertebrate Advocate

Yeah, it seems some tanks just can't support some easy to keep things. For whatever reason I cannot keep the montipora caps, they only last a few weeks in my tank and slowly fade away.

"Harder" to keep Acroporas do fine.

Brian
Old 11/03/2006, 09:55 PM
Registered Member

Brian, I used to have that problem with monti caps and digi. I don't really know what I did, but now they grow like crazy in my tank. Do you dose magnesium?
Old 11/04/2006, 02:24 AM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by drk70
Don't feel bad DW, I can't keep firefish for some reason. I have had 3 and they have all died within a few days after putting them in the tank.
I'm with dennis. RG - healthy and happy...though a bit skittish. Firefish - the two that I've tried both died.
Old 11/04/2006, 08:50 AM
Premium Member

I can keep whatever fish I've added......I have problems with certain corals. Zoa's die after a while. Others don't necessarily die, but they don't grow.