Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > New to the Hobby
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03/23/2007, 12:40 PM
Premium Member

Mine was the white snot.
Old 03/23/2007, 01:42 PM
Registered Member

9 months and my cukes are doing great.
Old 03/23/2007, 04:06 PM
Registered Member

I love the TBS brain corals!!!!
Open and Favia brains are what got me into the hobby.

I am going to order TBS in a month. Do you think if I ask they will ship me a few TBS brains, maybe instead of the stars and cukes???

Also what’s the difference between the Florida and the gulf rock?
Can you pick which type of rock you get?

Pat
I read “Name that thing on my TBS rock” part 1 and I read some of part two
Did your tank crash? Because (No offence meant) It looks nothing like what it did (were did all that color go??).
Old 03/23/2007, 04:14 PM
Registered Member

BrianPlankis
I read looked over the DIBS site and I love the idea.

I think I read that you are going to try and breed TBS Brain corals.
Maybe when I get my TBS I can help?
How do they breed? Budding or larva?
Or are you just going to grow and frag them?
Old 03/23/2007, 04:50 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Redstratplayer
I love the TBS brain corals!!!!
Open and Favia brains are what got me into the hobby.

I am going to order TBS in a month. Do you think if I ask they will ship me a few TBS brains, maybe instead of the stars and cukes???

Also what’s the difference between the Florida and the gulf rock?
Can you pick which type of rock you get?

Pat
I read “Name that thing on my TBS rock” part 1 and I read some of part two
Did your tank crash? Because (No offence meant) It looks nothing like what it did (were did all that color go??).
No offense taken....
No, the tank did not crash. Many of the real colorful sponge died off after a few months. The tunicates also did. (although they are coming back now)
I also wound up getting another tank with different type rock, because there are things with the setup of the 90g that I don't care for, and my husband didn't want to fix or change.
I wound up selling my tank, and took out about ½ the TBS rock in our current tank and added some of the other type rock I had. I've pretty much left the maintenance up to my husband since then, and the tank doesn't look as good as it used to. I still have my wonderful brain coral and it's doing fantastic. Some of the uglier color sponges are still there.
I really haven't taken many closeups of the tank in a long time. I'll have to do that so you can see there still is color.
I noticed there wasn't much coralline on the rocks, and bought some calcium but I don't know if my husband is putting it in faithfully or not. I had noticed it starting to color up, but I don't see any great improvements in a few weeks now.

As far as TBS shipping you brains instead of the cukes, etc.....you'll have to ask Richard. I don't know if they were all wiped out with the red tide epidemic they had. He's usually great with shipping you the kind/size rock you're looking for.
Old 03/23/2007, 08:31 PM
Invertebrate Advocate

Quote:
Originally posted by Redstratplayer
BrianPlankis
I read looked over the DIBS site and I love the idea.

I think I read that you are going to try and breed TBS Brain corals.
Maybe when I get my TBS I can help?
How do they breed? Budding or larva?
Or are you just going to grow and frag them?
Yes, we are going to try to breed them, any TBS owners that have these corals can try it as well if they have at least two colonies of adult size.

They breed by sexual reproduction (release of sperm into the water that fertilizes an egg in another coral, then that coral allows the egg to develop internally into a planula that is released and settles quickly into a new coral).

You need adult colonies (typically 1.5-2 years old) before they will breed and you need to feed them heavily.

You would be very welcome to join the breeding challenge if you get some TBS brains (Manicina areolata). I know Richard said most of them were wiped out during the red tide, but they've had one breeding season to recover, so maybe they are back.

At DIBS we only do breeding, no fragging. Fragging is great, but the potential for breeding is tremendous.

Brian
Old 03/23/2007, 08:53 PM
Premium Member

When you guys get the T B S package do you get the full amount of live sand also. or do you mix with another.
Thanks John
Old 03/23/2007, 09:18 PM
Premium Member

I took some pictures of my tank tonight....please ignore any of the algae growing (removal is a work-in-progress )

Fire Coral: (This came on the TBS rock and is spreading a bit. You can see really tiny feeder strands on it in some spots)

This one is for BrianPlankis: I've got TONS of snail eggs. They snails seem to love to lay eggs on (& behind) the Tunze and behind my algae clip.

Torch Coral: The only LPS to survive a rockslide and riding 7 hours in a moving van.

Last edited by krajacich; 03/23/2007 at 09:30 PM.
Old 03/23/2007, 09:21 PM
Premium Member

Zoa eating Formula 2 pellets:

More zoas:

Even more zoas:

(For anyone who's moving in the near future...zoas don't mind moving at all)
Old 03/23/2007, 09:23 PM
Premium Member

Last ones....

Ricordea:

GSP:

Finally a Full-Tank Shot:
Old 03/23/2007, 09:24 PM
King of the Tank!

John - I set mine up with aragonite sand from the LFS and some base rock. Then I just applied the TBS on top of that. You can see some pics of my tank by clicking my red house.

Danielle - Looks good!!

HTH

Jay
Old 03/23/2007, 09:26 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by atblj5
When you guys get the T B S package do you get the full amount of live sand also. or do you mix with another.
Thanks John
When I initially got my TBS I just had the live sand from TBS. However, when I moved I replaced it because I was worried about stirring up any populations of anaerobic bacteria present in the TBS so now I have aragonite.
Old 03/23/2007, 10:13 PM
Registered Member

Thanks Brian

When my tank is set up i hope to try and do some breeding for DIBS ,maybe snails?

To bad about the brains ill have to ask Richard if there are any re-growing.
Old 03/24/2007, 07:32 AM
Registered Member

Are you sure those are snail eggs? If so I wonder which kind. All the ones I've seen have been much smaller and laid out in a kind of squiggly spiral pattern. The ones I've seen aren't encased like that either. I'm eager to see if Brian says what kind of eggs they look like to him.
Old 03/24/2007, 04:28 PM
Premium Member

Thanks Guys. John
Old 03/24/2007, 07:57 PM
Invertebrate Advocate

Quote:
Originally posted by smcnally
Are you sure those are snail eggs? If so I wonder which kind. All the ones I've seen have been much smaller and laid out in a kind of squiggly spiral pattern. The ones I've seen aren't encased like that either. I'm eager to see if Brian says what kind of eggs they look like to him.
Snail eggs come in all kinds of shapes and sizes, some really bizarre! But those are definitely snail eggs from a Columbellid sp. of snail. At DIBS we have a great series of pictures actually showing one of the snails laying the egg masses

Squiggly spiral patterns are often from Cerith sp. snails.

Another type of egg mass commonly laid by snails are gelatinous um...snot masses Here is a picture:

Also, I recently got a new 10MP Casio ZX1000 camera, it is pretty good at taking closeups of reef tank inhabitants, here is an example:

Brian
Old 03/24/2007, 08:06 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Yep Columbellid snail eggs. You can actually watch them develop and the tiny little snails emerge. Of course I can't scrape my glass when they hatch out or they get caught in the mag-float. But it's pretty neat to see
Old 03/26/2007, 07:24 AM
Premium Member

Danielle, your pictures are great! It is good seeing them again.
The tank doesn't look like it has a lot of algae.
For whatever reason, I can't get the zoas to grow in this tank. They flourished in my tank, but not in Bob's. I transferred a bunch when I got rid of my tank, and they haven't spread at all. They just stay dormant.

I just ordered a new camera, and should get it this week, so I'll see if I can get some good pics.
Old 03/26/2007, 09:41 AM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by patsan
Danielle, your pictures are great! It is good seeing them again.
The tank doesn't look like it has a lot of algae.
For whatever reason, I can't get the zoas to grow in this tank. They flourished in my tank, but not in Bob's. I transferred a bunch when I got rid of my tank, and they haven't spread at all. They just stay dormant.

I just ordered a new camera, and should get it this week, so I'll see if I can get some good pics.
Thanks Pat. Most of the algae is on the side of the tank with the powerhead. It doesn't show up too much in the pictures but in person, you'd definitely notice it.

What kind of camera are you getting?
Old 03/26/2007, 11:22 AM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by krajacich
Thanks Pat. Most of the algae is on the side of the tank with the powerhead. It doesn't show up too much in the pictures but in person, you'd definitely notice it.

What kind of camera are you getting?
I'm getting another Nikon. Something is wrong with my D50. I think I used it up. (I've taken over 15,000 pictures with it) I don't knbow if it's the shutter or what, but I'm having trouble with the autofocus.
It was a choice between the D200 or the new D80, and I choose the D80 because it was much cheaper and I don't need everything the D200 does. I never even used the D50 with anything except "auto" everything.
I also bought a nice lens for it that will be an excellent all purpose lens.
So, I should be set.

I really love my D50 and never would even be thinking about a new camera if I were able to use all my lenses as I had in the past. I can only use the stock lens now, and only when it's set to focus on the closest object...otherwise all the pictures come out blurry unless I have a good amount of time to take the shot.
Old 04/07/2007, 05:31 PM
Premium Member

The worms decided to come out today during the day (and non feeding time)

Hope everyone has a Happy Easter tomorrow!
Old 04/07/2007, 08:47 PM
Registered Member

And here I thought the worms I had were enormous. Beautiful tank
Old 04/07/2007, 08:55 PM
Registered Member

Nice looking works. I got a bunch of those lol. Few more weeks and I will be placing an order for some TBS rock. I will be sure to post up some pics.

"The cheese stands alone."
Old 04/08/2007, 07:47 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by patsan
I never even used the D50 with anything except "auto" everything.
I also bought a nice lens for it that will be an excellent all purpose lens.
So, I should be set.

I really love my D50 and never would even be thinking about a new camera if I were able to use all my lenses as I had in the past. I can only use the stock lens now, and only when it's set to focus on the closest object...otherwise all the pictures come out blurry unless I have a good amount of time to take the shot.
Pat, I was talking to someone about this post that has a Nikon DSLR and he said that you should make sure the camera is really clean. He said you may have some dirt/dust or something on the auto focus sensor which could be causing it to do what it is doing. He said 15,000 pictures should not affect the camera like that.
Old 04/08/2007, 09:19 AM
Premium Member

Quote:
Pat, I was talking to someone about this post that has a Nikon DSLR and he said that you should make sure the camera is really clean. He said you may have some dirt/dust or something on the auto focus sensor which could be causing it to do what it is doing. He said 15,000 pictures should not affect the camera like that.
Thanks Steve,
I got the new camera, but still have the D50 here. My youngest is using it for now. I will check and make sure it's clean. I've never cleaned it, but I also make sure there's a lens on all the time, and when I do change lenses, it's done quickly. But I will check it out for sure. I have to find out where the auto focus sensor is now. It really is a nice camera, and I was sad when it wasn't working properly.