Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > More Forums > Reef Club Forums > NorthEast Region-Reef Club Forums > Long Island Reef Association (LIRA)
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05/09/2006, 09:22 PM
Registered Member

Drilling Glass

Does anyone know anything about how to drill glass for a sump?
What kind of tools and any special techniques to drill holes.
Old 05/09/2006, 10:46 PM
10 & Over Club

You'll need a glass drill bit the right size for the bulkhead fittings your using.

http://archive.reefcentral.com/forum...hreadid=840246

Lot's of water to lubricate the bit. Be sure it's not tempered glass. A good drill, better yet a drill press. Plenty of patience and no interuptions. Also practice on some scrap glass first

"LOL, well I have no brain apparently. " - dc (Debi)
Old 05/10/2006, 06:38 AM
Registered Member

don't forget a dremel will work also, check out the diy forum, there are a few threads there. I drilled with a dremel a 180g (2x 1.5 holes), 75g & 15g

Old 05/10/2006, 10:56 AM
Moved On

Several stores can do it for you also.
Old 05/10/2006, 05:18 PM
Registered Member

Oh,and don't forget.
Make sure it's NOT tempered

Old 05/12/2006, 04:07 PM
underfunded reefer

wow, i didn't know they tempered the sides of the 55's, i just thought it was the bottom....

"Nemo me impune laccesit" - From Edinburgh Castle meaning "no one provokes me without punishment" (thanks to K for sparking that memory)
Old 05/12/2006, 04:07 PM
underfunded reefer

"Nemo me impune laccesit" - From Edinburgh Castle meaning "no one provokes me without punishment" (thanks to K for sparking that memory)
Old 05/13/2006, 11:09 AM
Registered Member

dremel

i drilled my 29g with a dremel and a craftsman diamond bit (about $9) with the fish still in the tank. go slow, spray a lot of water on it.
Old 05/22/2006, 03:33 PM
Registered Member

Drilling a 20 gallon sump

Glad to see someone else just recently asking this. I would like to attempt drilling on a 20 gallon tank (for a sump) ... but, I am not sure if it's tempered or not? There are no stickers / warnings indicating, but someone at a LFS told me that most tanks are tempered. Anyone know of any way to tell if the sides are tempered or not?
Old 05/22/2006, 04:45 PM
Registered Member

I don't know of any way of telling if it's tempered other than drill and pray. But most tanks have tempered bottoms and the sides aren't. If it's only a 20g you might wanna just try it or buy a new one thats definatly not tempered.
Old 05/22/2006, 05:25 PM
Registered Member

Thanks.
Guess the thing that threw me, was that in looking at tanks in the LFS, I don't see them marked as tempered or non ... guess if there is no sure way of knowing based off appearance or anything, I'll have to give it a shot and see what happens ..
Old 05/22/2006, 08:09 PM
underfunded reefer

they're only marked if they ARE tempered.....if its fairly new, chances are its not tempered...if its aga, aga has a page on their site www.all-glass.com that says which tanks have tempered bottoms, its a bit tricky to find but its there. There is a tile bit made by rotozip that has worked very well for me from 10g tanks to 40g tanks....

Old 05/23/2006, 08:08 AM
Registered Member

Thanks puckbs. You're right ... it took a bit to find on AGA's site, but found it... only mentions the bottoms being tempered or not ... and neither 20 gallon options are. So, it sounds as though the sides (especially on smaller tanks) generally are not tempered, just the bottoms? I'm looking to use as part of a sump set up, so looking to drill the upper part of a side for a bulk head to drain in to a secondary sump before pumping back to the display tank. I think I'm going to give drilling this a shot in the next day or so and see what happens (need to pick up a bit first) ... thanks for the replies!!