Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03/24/2007, 12:54 AM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by jacmyoung

Now that I think our work on the 6025s is almost all done, there is just not much can be squeezed out of it, I can't help but feel how short-sighted Tunze was not making a bigger motor for the 6045s. They can certainly fit a 12W motor in that small block and use a bigger prop to pump out nearly 2000gph. they can probably sell it for $120 people will have no problem buying it.
Yes jacmyoung, I totally agree with you. The extra $30 you spend on the 6045 should buy you a bigger motor and possibly a bigger prop. and put out at least 1178 GPH of flow. Not 930gph!!!

When I first did the evaluation of the 6045 and came to the conclusion that it was the "same" or close to, the flow performance of the 6025, Tunze and some people that follow this thread now, vilified me for being malicious... Tunze even posted a sticky on their forum comparing the 6025 vs 6045 to "take my ammo away" as they said. The sticky is down now, for the obvious reasons...
What I said then was that the 6045 motor is not "pulling" enough juice according to the Tunze spec. therefore not enough flow.
You were the only one that gave me the benefit of the doubt then, and I appreciate you for it. See, somehow somewhere the truth has a way of coming out....
I'm still waiting for the "quick to judge" fellow reefers to now come out and acknowledge it...
At least take back their nasty comments towards me at the time...
Old 03/24/2007, 06:53 AM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by skydancer
You were the only one that gave me the benefit of the doubt then, and I appreciate you for it...
All this time I thought you appreciated me for the jacmyoung stopper I came up with By taking down that sticky I assume Tunze had admitted their own. And if they are smart enough it would be obvious to them there is this tremendous need for a stream pump that can pump out decent flow for a medium to large sized tank yet small enough to be kept in the tank.

I forgot to mention another thing, apparently the prop for the US version of 6025 or 6045 is smaller than that of the Euro version because the US prop spins faster (60hz vs Euro 50hz). If you look at the prop close enough, you can see the straight cuts they made on the outer edges of the blades. I was told the 6055 prop will have no trimming, be the same size as the Euro version. If someone can try the 6055 prop in a 6025 later, or have access to an Euro 6025 prop now, we may find out if more flow can to extracted out of the 6025s.

I somehow believe the Germans had maximized the 6025 prop vs. the 7W motor so I am not holding my breadth on this one. But if you have the bigger prop it does not hurt to try.
Old 03/24/2007, 07:43 AM
Lo?

Quote:
I'm still waiting for the "quick to judge" fellow reefers to now come out and acknowledge it...
At least take back their nasty comments towards me at the time...
sorry but I still stand on my belief these mods have nothing to do with that. My comments were not nasty, but the PM's you sent me were.

90 gal sps and mixed other. Tek 6x54 t-5's, DAS EX-1 skimmer, 2x 6045 nano streams.

Last edited by keinreis; 03/24/2007 at 07:50 AM.
Old 03/24/2007, 04:27 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
All this time I thought you appreciated me for the jacmyoung stopper I came up with
Actually both!!!
Remember 3 of the 4 6025 have the jacmyoung stopper and I'm very happy with them.

Actually I prefer the WFM and stopper because I use the pumps for directional flow on my SPS. The top half of the tank.

WRT, the bigger prop and more flow, I think the ideal nanostream would be about 1500GPH with WFM.

Anything above that creates havoc in many reef environments including my 300 Gal tank that is 3 ft tall and has a 3 in sandbed. Before I installed the 6025s I had the MJmod 1200 hitting slightly downward and was displacing the sand on the other side of the tank. So I put it in the back of the tank blowing down the side of the back wall to clear detritus off the back and now have the nanos blowing on the SPS. I really like this arrangement. I just wish I could get 150OGPH. Maybe the next nanostream version...
Old 03/24/2007, 04:55 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by keinreis
My comments were not nasty, but the PM's you sent me were.
How quickly you forget...
http://archive.reefcentral.com/forum...readid=1044334

sorry but I still stand on my belief these mods have nothing to do with that. [/QUOTE]

What is the "that"?

What didn't you get about the mods?

Once all restrictions are removed from both pumps (6025 and 6045), both flow about the same amount of water...
The motors are the same and the props are the same. Why pay 30 bucks more?

On my original thread I stated that the 6045 was not pumping the spec'ed flow of 1178GPH, and the motor was not drawing 7-8 watts, so less flow.

If you read back on this thread you'll find atvdave modded his 6045 and only got 1253.99 avg flow.

After my 6045 test I told Tunze that the 6045 was not puting out the spec'ed flow. They said I was wrong and there was nothing else for Tunze to do.
Well I wanted my money back, because I paid $100 for 1178GPh, not 930GPH.
As I said then, IMO the 6025 is the best prop powerhead in the market. For 60 bucks you get the flow (modded), smallest size, and I can put 4 of those around my tank and have better coverage that the 6100's or the other monsters that look so ugly and take so much space.
Old 03/24/2007, 05:22 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
... I really like this arrangement. I just wish I could get 150OGPH. Maybe the next nanostream version...
It is possible but we have to get our hands on one of those Euro version 6025 prop unit first. Anyone on the other side of the Atlantic reading this please send me a PM! I will pay all expenses if you can order this part for me.

If Tunze trimmed back the US version of the prop only to make the 6025 output consistent across the US and Europe, then it is possible the US motor can drive the bigger prop.

I am no statistician, electronic nor hydrologic expert, so this is just a shot at the dark. But let's do a little math. The US prop spins 20% faster (60hz vs 50hz in Europe), therefore if the prop size is bigger (the same size as the Euro version) it will pump out 20% more flow, and 20% more flow than 1250gph what do we get? Yes 1500gph.

It is however entirely possible that Tunze trimmed the US prop back because the 7W little motor simply could not handle the bigger prop at a faster speed, in that case we are doomed.

So anyone out there have easy access to an Euro version of the 6025 or 6045 prop, please put it in the US 6025 or 6045 motor and do a test, if the little pump can drive the prop we may have a winner. Of course you would still need to do a skydancer flow test just to know how much more flow.

Last edited by jacmyoung; 03/24/2007 at 05:31 PM.
Old 03/24/2007, 05:25 PM
Lo?

the only thing I could see is maybe the American versions of the motor don't have the torque to spin the larger prop without putting strain and wearing out motor quickly, but like you I am not an electronic expert. I just know that with a lot of electric motors speed often reduces torque.

90 gal sps and mixed other. Tek 6x54 t-5's, DAS EX-1 skimmer, 2x 6045 nano streams.
Old 03/24/2007, 05:28 PM
Lo?

Quote:
How quickly you forget...
http://archive.reefcentral.com/forum...readid=1044334

sorry but I still stand on my belief these mods have nothing to do with that.

What is the "that"?

What didn't you get about the mods?

Once all restrictions are removed from both pumps (6025 and 6045), both flow about the same amount of water...
The motors are the same and the props are the same. Why pay 30 bucks more?

On my original thread I stated that the 6045 was not pumping the spec'ed flow of 1178GPH, and the motor was not drawing 7-8 watts, so less flow.

If you read back on this thread you'll find atvdave modded his 6045 and only got 1253.99 avg flow.

After my 6045 test I told Tunze that the 6045 was not puting out the spec'ed flow. They said I was wrong and there was nothing else for Tunze to do.
Well I wanted my money back, because I paid $100 for 1178GPh, not 930GPH.
As I said then, IMO the 6025 is the best prop powerhead in the market. For 60 bucks you get the flow (modded), smallest size, and I can put 4 of those around my tank and have better coverage that the 6100's or the other monsters that look so ugly and take so much space.
[/QUOTE]

funny how people get soo worked up over a piece of plastic!

Old 03/24/2007, 05:36 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by keinreis
the only thing I could see is maybe the American versions of the motor don't have the torque to spin the larger prop without putting strain and wearing out motor quickly, but like you I am not an electronic expert. I just know that with a lot of electric motors speed often reduces torque.
We wouldn't know until we try, I don't think Tunze will volunteer such information.
Old 03/24/2007, 11:24 PM
AEFW Survivor

Just stumbled upon this thread! Great job. I always thought that a Tunze MOD would be an oxymoron, but you know what they say about new models of automobiles!

You engineering guys slay me! Keep on dremmeling out of the box.
Old 03/25/2007, 08:35 AM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by SERVO
Just stumbled upon this thread! Great job. I always thought that a Tunze MOD would be an oxymoron, but you know what they say about new models of automobiles!

You engineering guys slay me! Keep on dremmeling out of the box.
So what kind are you? Let me guess, a physiatrist? Loved your tank build it was something, any update?

If my memory serves me right, I recall when Tunze initially published their nano specs, the 6045 was rated at 8W? they now have it scaled down to 7W.

I wonder if the 8W rating was from running the un-cut prop on a US motor? If so we may have a real shot at getting it to work because you can speculate the reason they trimmed the prop down was to keep the flow rating consistent across all continents. Or in another word the little motor can be juiced up to 8W.

Again I am not an electric motor guy I can be totally off here.
Old 03/29/2007, 06:33 AM
Premium Member

A few updates.

First off DON'T do the soft stopper mod. It continues to get my prop stuck. There is something about this standard stopper in Maxijet mods that just will not work with Nanostream pumps reliably. My stopper mod continues to work flawlessly because it is no different than the stopper Tunze put in their 6045s.

I found an interesting mod by RC member Pico1, asked him if he would post here a week ago but did not get a response. The mod may be a great interest for some so I thought to borrow his pics here, if Pico1 you don't like the idea please PM me.

The Pico Mod is basically attaching the nano to a See-Swirl with a zip tie so it will provide a sweeping flow from one point to another. Pico1 reported it working well in his tank at the 24th-hour mark.

Pico Mod #1

Pico Mod #2
Old 03/29/2007, 06:55 AM
Premium Member

Here is another teaser mod I did, let's call it the Extreme Nano Makeover. I fitted a 1.5" black ABS coupler ($0.79 from HD) onto the front housing with black ABS glue ($1.50? at HD). Alot of fitting and polishing were done to make it look nice so it may not be worth it for a 6025. So why you ask I did it, well the upcoming 6055 will be able to pump out nearly 2,000gph if my math is right, after the Tunze flow restriction is removed. At 2,000gph it will be too much for my tank and probably so for many small tanks too. By opening it up to the widest flow possible, I hope the 6055 can be used in smaller tanks more often. Can't wait to get my hands on one of these variable flow pumps.

ENM #1

ENM #2

ENM #3

A comparison shot of my modded 6025 with the standard front housing

If you want to know what kind of flow is like with this mod, all you have to do is to remove the front housing and let it run in the tank and see for yourself, this mod will provide about the widest and gentlest flow. The flow will not reach as far as the standard shroud of course.

As for fish screen, I think the screen cap for the Tunze Stream 6000s should fit on it, some sanding may be needed.

Last edited by jacmyoung; 03/29/2007 at 07:00 AM.
Old 03/30/2007, 02:18 PM
Premium Member

Still waiting for the 6055s to show up...

At the meantime I did observe an unintended benefit of this ENM, now my prop can self-correct without a stopper so I do not need to come up with one for it. The diameter of this ENM nozzle is a little bigger than that of a 6080 Stream pump so making a stopper would have been difficult. I am fitting a 6080 screen cap on the inside of the pipe right now.

Because this ENM further reduces flow restriction when the prop spins in reverse, the prop unit will always get pulled out of the motor socket, unlike when the standard shroud is on, the reverse flow is so restricted that the prop can only pull out half way causing the pump to be stuck on reverse.

The ENM self-correct on startup the same way as a standard unmodded 6025, the prop goes out and in once or a few times and correct itself. The fish screen should be positioned correctly to prevent the prop from shooting all out, yet not too close to the motor so the prop can not escape from the motor's magnetic field in a reverse flow.
Old 03/30/2007, 02:22 PM
clownfish fan

impressive mods
Old 03/30/2007, 05:03 PM
Registered Member

DARN I just picked up 4 6045's too....
Old 03/30/2007, 05:13 PM
Pie Is My Favorite Flavor

I don't understand the sea swirl mod. What exactly does it accomplish?
Old 03/30/2007, 06:31 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by elzool
I don't understand the sea swirl mod. What exactly does it accomplish?
The Sea Swirl rotates from side to side so the 6025's 1250gph flow goes from one corner to the other in a one minute cycle. Just a different wavemaking device.

BTW, after reading all the Hydor 4 super mod posts, I decided to order one last week to see for myself. Today I passed by my LFS and they just got some in the first time so I looked at one.

Let me just say that you should all be glad you have the Nanostreams running at 1250gph, the Koralia 4 is a monster in comparison, I will post a side by side pic next week after the K4 arrives.
Old 03/30/2007, 06:36 PM

Ok, if it rotates side to side, what does the 6025 have to do with it?

I t doesnt look like the 6025 pushes water into the sea swirl, soooooo... I don't get it.

Maybe I'm just being dense.
Old 03/30/2007, 06:40 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Let me just say that you should all be glad you have the Nanostreams running at 1250gph, the Koralia 4 is a monster in comparison, I will post a side by side pic next week after the K4 arrives.
I absolutely agree with you. I've seen the koralia 4 and it is at least 3 times the volume (in size) of the WFM modded nanostream.
Oh by the way, stay tuned... I may be able to get 1500 GPH out of the 6025!!!
Old 03/30/2007, 06:41 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by elzool
Ok, if it rotates side to side, what does the 6025 have to do with it?

I t doesnt look like the 6025 pushes water into the sea swirl, soooooo... I don't get it.

Maybe I'm just being dense.
The 6025 creates its own flow pattern and rotates. So you have 2 paterns of flow...
Old 03/30/2007, 06:45 PM
Registered Member

rotating nano stream instead of fixed to one spot.
Old 03/30/2007, 06:56 PM

oh, so the sea swirl physically moves... ok, just didn't get it

thanks for the re-education
Old 03/30/2007, 07:30 PM
Premium Member

skydancer, I applaud your continued efforts to systematically work through all this with such persistence, even when others doubted you. You were right from the beginning, and have helped many hobbyists save money. My 6025s are on order, and I owe you a big thanks.
Old 03/31/2007, 10:32 AM
Premium Member

I had more than one person asking me what is the real difference between the wide flow mod and the latest ENM, I figured should have posted comparison shots.

On the left is the standard Tunze front housing, on the right the ENM front housing: