Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > More Forums > Reef Club Forums > MidWest Region-Reef Club Forums > Chicagoland Marine Aquarium Society (CMAS)
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12/10/2007, 09:03 PM
Registered Member

is there another way to test alkalinity??

just wondering...is there any kind of probes maybe ??? like the one on the aqua controller for th PH? Or do you have to use something like the salifert kits to test it? I would like to keep it as steady as possible and am getting tired of testing it all of the time. Whats a good way i could gauge what my system is using so i could possibly put it on a drip? Whats the quickest, easiest or most accurate test besides the salifert test? I just really wish i could look at a digital readout of what my Alk. currently is...
Old 12/10/2007, 09:13 PM
Frag-a-holic

I can test in about 2 minutes using the seachem test kit. The Mg test that it comes with is another story. You get 5ml dump it in the little cup, drop 1 drop of total alk #1, and then drop by drop out of the syrenge. 3.4 ml of the titriant is 3.4 meq/l so that makes it easy, you don't even need to look at the chart. I have never used the Salifert kit though so I don't know what is involved. I like using Seachem products, it seems that there is a lot of science behind what they sell and that their ingredients are of a higher quality. When I mix additives like the Reef Advantage Calcium or Reef Buider, there is never any leftover particulates as I have seen with other brands. This is not saying that other products are bad, I am just voicing what I like to use.

Save a reef, trade a frag!
Old 12/10/2007, 09:14 PM
Frag-a-holic

BTW, how is my sunset doing?

Save a reef, trade a frag!
Old 12/10/2007, 09:59 PM
g l a s s b o x

if you want quick - elos
if you want precision - lamotte

"i like bubbly, and i love animals - so it works out well"

"there are a lot of people out there who think they have a modern house simply because they have alot of steel in it"
Old 12/10/2007, 10:46 PM
Registered Member

how bads the lamotte kit? any in between the 2 choices you mentioned? basically what im trying to do is set it up so i can get my system on a drip...that way i figure i wont have to test as often
Old 12/10/2007, 11:05 PM
Fish what? Look @ me

I second the Elos test...when wanting to figure the difference of 1 pt. Alk. The test will turn the water yellow right away and that will tell you the Dkh of 8 or 9 for example. Super easy test...one dropper.
Old 12/10/2007, 11:07 PM
Registered Member

I have heard but never tried it or done it so I don't know if it is crap or not but I have heard you can make an ORP probe test for alk if you set it right which I find hard to belive but I have heard it.
Old 12/11/2007, 08:13 AM
g l a s s b o x

elos measure in 1dkh or .5dkh if you double the sample volume.very accurate. lamotte takes about 10 minutes and reads out like salifert...but is actually accurate. it comes in a nice little kit and makes you feel smart

"i like bubbly, and i love animals - so it works out well"

"there are a lot of people out there who think they have a modern house simply because they have alot of steel in it"