Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Marine Fish Forums > The Fish Breeding Forum
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01/15/2005, 04:38 PM
Registered Member

Question Banggai Breeder Survey

Calling all banggai breeders. I was wonder about the clutch sizes you are getting. 5 years ago I was only recovering about 20 to 30 babies per clutch. A few times I had as many as 40. My last clutch was 54!!!!!!! I would have thought it statistically impossible! I wish I knew what to attribute the jump to. My guess is that it was a fluke. Their diet is Omega 3 brine , mysis, cyclopeeze and mahi roe. Could it be the fish eggs?? The parents are fourth or fifth generation and several years old. I had thought they were slowing down.
Old 01/15/2005, 07:53 PM
Registered Member

54...is very good. The most I have ever gotten is 43.
Old 01/16/2005, 08:50 AM
Premium Member

Low: 6
High: 46

ri
Old 01/17/2005, 01:03 AM
Registered Member

I think Frank said he would get over 50, but I have not yet, I think I need to quit selling my pairs and actually keep some long term.... The roe could help the pair if there was more of something that they needed. Your increase could be nutrition and size related. Do you give your male a break in between clutches? How big is the pair SVL (Snout to Vent Length)? What size tank are they in? Reef or typical breeder setup?
Old 01/17/2005, 07:31 PM
Registered Member

I think 32 was the most for me. I believe 12 or 14 was the smallest (the very first ever).
Old 01/17/2005, 08:46 PM
On hobby time out!

Are you guys selling just locally or are you also willing to ship? I was going to put about 12 of them in my tank, but would certainly go with a breeder rather than buying them in a store. It would support captive breeding, which I am all for, and also would give me better long term chances. Anyone??? You can email me directly below:\
dgasmd at netscape dot net
Old 01/18/2005, 12:14 AM
Registered Member

Actually displacement keeps a ship foating Put a hole in it below the water line and see if the water keeps it afloat.
Old 01/18/2005, 12:15 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by David M
Actually displacement keeps a ship foating Put a hole in it below the water line and see if the water keeps it afloat.
Wrong thread???
Old 01/18/2005, 10:00 AM
Registered Member

Thanks for the feedback. They are in a 90 reef. Dad never gets a break, but I don't raise all of the babies. Most just feed the reef. The parents are pretty big by banggai standards. I want to say pushing 3 inches but will have to measure. Thanks for all the feedback. They will be moving to a 180 this week so we will see how long the breeding is interupted.
Old 01/18/2005, 10:51 AM
Team RC Member

Wow Jamie! 54! Where do you get mahi roe? How long have you had the parents?

I have never managed to catch the male before he released the fry. I caught 9 fish out of my tank out of their first batch, one died that day. The rest are still alive and are about 3 months old now. The second clutch was lost to my tank entirely because I was out of town when they were released. I'm hoping they will get to spawning again soon

Kevin
Old 01/18/2005, 03:30 PM
On hobby time out!

Again, is everyone just selling these locally or are you guys shipping as well?
Old 01/18/2005, 03:46 PM
Registered Member

Nope, right thread.

Dgasmd's signature-

Quote:
Water is what keeps a ship floating, but it is also what sinks it.
Old 01/18/2005, 05:41 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by David M
Nope, right thread.

Dgasmd's signature-
Ah I see!!