Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Marine Fish Forums > The Fish Breeding Forum
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01/12/2005, 12:55 PM
Registered Member

How to breed your Fish

Just wondering why isn't there a sticky thread for 'how 2 breed your fish' or any guideline on this fourm other thank microfood culture.

Anybody care to start one or can answer my question?

Thanks!
Old 01/12/2005, 01:28 PM
the cow flys at dawn

there isnt a simple how to, basically because each species is a little different, if your thinking about clowns the clownfish & anemone forum has stickies that are very good on breeding clowns. otherwise post the fish you wanna breed and someone will help out.
Old 01/13/2005, 09:49 AM
Registered Member

Also if you are looking into breeding you can buy Clownfishes by Wilkerson as it will answer 90% of your questions all of the info will help you to breed the other species also. Frank Hoff also has a breeding book, but it is much more technical and a much heavier read.
Old 01/13/2005, 12:28 PM
Registered Member

rsman, I like to see the differences if there are any. =O) I did look into that fourm but I didn't find anything that was helpful. I was hoping maybe we have a sicky here since clown fish are the most common ones.

atticus, I have that book but my friend is borrowing it. Basically I am looking for more info on the fourm.
Old 01/13/2005, 03:46 PM
the cow flys at dawn

I like to see the differences if there are any.
a short difference
clowns lay each egg attached to a surface all close together
dottybacks lay there eggs in a ball
cardinals the male holds the eggs in there mouth

clowns and dottyback eggs hatch in aprox a week, cardinals eggs hatch in 2 to 3 weeks

most clowns take to L strain rotifers, some cardinals will be ready for freshly hatched brine shrimp
Old 01/13/2005, 05:07 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by iSpeakWhale
I did look into that fourm but I didn't find anything that was helpful.
You didn't find anything that was helpful? Here are some stickies from the Clownfish forum:

Pairing Clownfish

Sexing Clownfishes

My Clownfish just laid eggs. Now what?

Spawning Videos

HTH
TOS
Old 01/13/2005, 05:44 PM
Dad, mom and nest of eggs

Quote:
Originally posted by iSpeakWhale
Basically I am looking for more info on the fourm.
Firstly, this is not the end all library for information on breeding fish, I doubt you will find that anywhere. What this is, is a forum where breeders can discuss various fish breeding topics and share information as they discover it.

Next, what you need to know is what fish are you interested in breeding? Then use the search function (not the one at the top but the one at the bottom that says 'search this forum for..'). Many fish have been discussed here, mandarins, triggers, gobies, cardinals, damsels, eels, dottybacks, clowns, etc. You just have to look for it.
Old 01/16/2005, 09:07 PM
Registered Member

HEY silly guy. I would love to see you follow thru with this. I seen, or have been told that your skunk clown were mating and were laying eggs. Getting your fish to breed is taking this hobby to the next level. Let me know buddy.