Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > New to the Hobby

Old 01/11/2008, 07:40 PM
Registered Member

water parameters

im confused...bear with me guys...so ive had my tank set up for a month and a couple weeks. I had added 2 damsels initially a 4 stripe and yellow tail. The 4 stripe died within days. Then I added an emerald crab, peppermint shrimp and snails. They were all doing fine and water parameters were consistant. I added a clown fish which died within days. My LFS claims it had a skin disease, and ive posted about this before and came to an agreement the damsel killed it based on its torn doral fin. I also added mushroom coral and a small frogspawn that ive had for a week. During my battle with the damsel I kicked up alot of sand and from what I can tell my tank went through another mini cycle. However all the parameters seem decent. Ph 8.2 salinity 1.024, temp 78, ammonia 0, nitrite 0, and my nitrates were at .5. I've been warned to add slowly because adding something disrupts the bio load which makes sense. What dosent make sense is why do the fish keep dying off but all invertabrates live and thrive?
I do weekly 15% water changes and all seems well with everything else.

After all this is it possible to add a couple clown fish without killing them?
Old 01/11/2008, 07:43 PM
RC Mod

Maybe not with the damsel in the tank. Sometimes, they are very aggressive, and that tank isn't all that large. The damsels might have brought a disease with them, as well.
Old 01/11/2008, 07:44 PM
Registered Member

the damsel is gone bro.
Old 01/11/2008, 07:46 PM
RC Mod

I'd leave the tank fish-free for eight weeks, to let any disease die off (hopefully), and then consider a clownfish.
Old 01/11/2008, 07:47 PM
Registered Member

It's just strange to me that every additioanl fish except the yellowtail would die off.
Old 01/11/2008, 07:56 PM
RC Mod

If there was still ammonia in the tank when the fish were added, that could have done it. The tank also might have a predator or a disease running lose. Hard to say.