Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > New to the Hobby
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01/11/2008, 06:26 PM
Premium Member

Surface skimming and overflow box???

This has been something I have thought about fixing for a few months now. Since I have no life in my tank yet, I figured if it needs fixing nows a good time to do it.

So my overflow box was made incorrectly which forced me to have it positioned about 1" below the water line...I can see a small vortex above it, so I know it is sucking hard, but will it pull more stuff out if it literally skims the surface??
Old 01/11/2008, 06:39 PM
Registered Member

i'm no expert but i would think the flow and surface movement is good for the tank
Old 01/11/2008, 06:43 PM
Premium Member

So literally skimming or not?? I would think it doesnt matter, but i am also no expert!
Old 01/11/2008, 06:46 PM
Registered Member

i have a cpr and it has a plastic net that goes into the front to stop fish or large things from going into the overflow--the net is ridgid and it can be adjusted to go out above the waterline.
Old 01/11/2008, 06:55 PM
Premium Member

hmmm.. i think you misunderstand. The top of my overflow box sits about 1" below the water line. If i move the box up 7/8" will i get better surface skimming??
Old 01/11/2008, 07:00 PM
Registered Member

yes i did misunderstand--i take it all back and stick to me being no expert
Old 01/11/2008, 07:01 PM
Premium Member

Any ideas otherwise
Old 01/11/2008, 07:04 PM
Premium Member

If you move the overflow box up, it should move up the overall level of your tank. It sounds to me like you need to use some sort of valve to control your return; your water level should never be above the top of the overflow box (assuming it has the slits cut it in like nearly every other OFB you've ever seen).
Old 01/11/2008, 07:07 PM
Registered Member

my bet is on better skimming closer to the surface; but, that means feed etc on the surface is going to go down the tube maybe too quickly--resulting in you having to turn off the flow at feeding times. what i do is have a pwr head pushing the surface away from the overflow so the feed etc gets more of a chance to circulate through the tank therfore less goes into the overflow.
Old 01/11/2008, 07:08 PM
Premium Member

i have 2 overflow boxes, one is higher up than the other(emergency drain). I do restrict the one drain because it can handle more than my return pump can produce, and if i restrict it it becomes dead silent.

just thought if it literally skimmed the surface it may be more effective??
Old 01/11/2008, 07:10 PM
Premium Member

It absolutely will be; it will remove the protein buildup and let it get down to the sump and skimmer.
Old 01/11/2008, 07:12 PM
Premium Member

i will fix it then. It has always been on my list of to do's, it has just been put off like most things around here! But things have slowed down now so off to the shop i go!
Old 01/11/2008, 07:13 PM
Premium Member

another thing then...The protein buildup and gunk buildup will rise to the surface??
Old 01/11/2008, 07:22 PM
Premium Member

depending on surface flow, yes. If you've got a lot of surface disruption, it will get "stirred" back into the water; if you haven't much, you'll be able to see protein build up. I have a koralia nano pointed at the surface of my tank, it's increased the productivity of my skimmer quite a bit.
Old 01/11/2008, 07:27 PM
Premium Member

that is what i have, but to keep things dead quiet and the water level higher i restrict the drain a bit....

also thats an old picture, the heaters are in the sump now
Old 01/11/2008, 07:31 PM
Premium Member

That looks about right for overflow, maybe a stronger return could serve you well? How big is your overflow?

If I don't end up ordering this new tank with custom overflow, I'm going to drain my tank for a few hours and drill a second overflow and return.
Old 01/11/2008, 07:34 PM
Premium Member

okay I have an eheim 1262 which I think is around 900GPH. So I estimate about 500gph through the drain, which is 1.5". I think my troubles are in the 1.5" drain. Or maybe my dursos aren't quiet built properly??but I like to restrict the 1.5" drain so the water level is to the bottom of the black trim