Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Coral Forums > Corallimorpharians
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07/25/2003, 05:01 PM
Registered Member

Here are some of mine

The pics arent the best, but you get the idea!!LoL

DVS
Old 07/25/2003, 05:07 PM
Ricordea Junkie

Very cool, DVS!

Old 07/25/2003, 05:09 PM
Registered Member

Hey!!!! Thanks a lot, nada like yours at all, but I like em!

DVS
Old 08/05/2003, 05:24 PM
Brains 'n Wrasses

bump with a question(s):

I'm getting two green rics tomorra, dunno if they will be attached or not, hopefully
now, for the questions:
I notice alot of the rics are at the bottom of the tank... I'm assuming on rocks, right?
why?

and the glue you guys are talking about, is it the airplane glue stuff? seriously, my friend does model airplanes, and its cyanacrylic glue... he has 5-15 second, 15-30 second, and theres one that has 30-60 second attach time... is it the same thing (in other words, can I steal (errr, borrow) a bottle for a day and use that. I know he uses it on cuts and abrasions, and its SUPER sticky...)
Its a hard hobby: not like cars, where you can go out, buy what you want now and get it over with. You have to buy the body first, then the engine: and if you wired everything right, it might go somewhere. If you did something wrong...
Old 08/05/2003, 07:24 PM
...has been MIA

Quote:
Originally posted by lilswanwillow

I notice alot of the rics are at the bottom of the tank... why?
I think this might be just because it is easier to take a decent picture from there, and since they look so great you wanna really be able to see them.
Quote:
Originally posted by lilswanwillow

and the glue you guys are talking about, is it the airplane glue stuff? seriously, my friend does model airplanes, and its cyanacrylic glue...
I am not positive on this, but cynoacrylic is cynoacrylic, so I would think it is fine. Try to let it cure before putting it back into the tank, to be safe. Gluing a ric might not be the best way to attatch one though.
Old 08/05/2003, 11:22 PM
Brains 'n Wrasses

i was thinking of a little rock

glueing the rock that its on to one of my rocks.

hmmm, I'll experiment tomorra!!!!

thanks for the info
Its a hard hobby: not like cars, where you can go out, buy what you want now and get it over with. You have to buy the body first, then the engine: and if you wired everything right, it might go somewhere. If you did something wrong...
Old 08/05/2003, 11:24 PM
Ricordea Junkie

Cyanoacrylate

Mine says, "cyanoacrylate".
Old 08/05/2003, 11:33 PM
Brains 'n Wrasses

I'll do an experiment...
I'll put a dab on a small rock or something, and throw it in with George. If it kills him, it will kill anything!!!!
okok, that isn't as morbid as it sounds. hes a nice mantis, i promise!!!
Old 08/05/2003, 11:35 PM
Ricordea Junkie

LOL, I have some neighbors I would love to try it on, LOL!!!!!!!!!!
Old 08/05/2003, 11:43 PM
Brains 'n Wrasses

well, I already know that its non-toxic : my friend uses it to close wounds he recieves from the x-acto knife when hes not paying attention: he just pours the stuff on, holds the cut closed until the stuff hardens, and hes fine... I hate men!!!
(sorry, didn't mean that last part, its just that they figure out too much, well, stuff, and are too lazy to get up and go to get a bandaid.... arg)
Old 08/05/2003, 11:48 PM
Ricordea Junkie

Quote:
too lazy to get up and go to get a bandaid.... arg)

LOL, I hear that!!!!!!!
Old 08/12/2003, 03:53 PM
Registered Member

New Oarnge Yumas

I have posted most of my other rics on another thread, but I just got these yesterday. Not a bad price either. There are a total of 5 on the rock and I hope they open up soon.

I hope these ric yumas multiply fast.
Old 08/12/2003, 03:55 PM
Registered Member

Double Post
Old 08/12/2003, 03:55 PM
Registered Member

Tripple post
Old 08/12/2003, 04:24 PM
Brains 'n Wrasses

Question

i have a question:

what are decent prices on rics? I've heard differing opinions: does it mostly depend on what different people like, or is it completely different?

I know yumas are more, but why are some polyps $10 while others are $100?
Old 08/12/2003, 04:33 PM
Registered Member

Price

It depends on how rare the ric is. Also if your lucky or not, I've seen tri color yumas(very rare) go for $150 or more, but your run of the meal green yumas can go $10-$20 a polyp. I saw one bright oarnge yuma the other day for $80, I got this rock at my LFS for $70 pretty good price. I have a couple that are really bright That I will eventually frag and sell for 30-40 a polyp.
Old 08/17/2003, 02:45 AM
Registered Member

Lots of Questions!

Hi,
I have been bitten by the Ric bug also, I got a tri color yuma for 50 bucks and it seems to be doing alright, though I really don't know since I am new to this. It has a black/navy body with orange and red polyps and a yellow mouth. It is priority so please give advice. I also picked up some FL ones for 5-15 dollars a polyp. They seem to be more full than the yuma. I have a 13K 175 halide about 12inches from the yuma and two FLs. The ones I put down in the sand(18") seem to be a lot fuller, I just ran out of room. I put the yuma up higher because I understood it needed more light.
Another thing, my salinity had gotten low and today was the first chance I had to do a water change, back up to 1.023 from 1.0205.
So we will see how that works. What trace elements?
Also, two of the Fls I bought have two mouths, one is starting to pinch. Am I to assume two mouths mean eventual splitting, or will I need to help the process.
Palmetto-What is the mortality rate on cutting off the heads from the stalk? I got a blue one that is about 3" across, and I am thinking of using it as a guinea pig.

Thanks for any and all responses,
I have a new love and her name is yuma!
David
Old 08/17/2003, 09:21 AM
Registered Member

a couple of pics of the farm...
Old 08/17/2003, 09:22 AM
Registered Member

one more..
Old 08/17/2003, 09:53 AM
Buckeye Fan

Westpat,

Try moving the yuma down, and it will most likely expand more, also you might want to raise your salinty to 1.025 slowly

It's better to burnout, than to fade away. Neil Young
Old 08/17/2003, 10:54 AM
...has been MIA

Price...
I don't know about Yumas, but I got my Rics for a pretty good price. Even the multicolored was under $20.

Lighting...
The Rics close to the light are not expanding as much, but should do well there. The ones lower are expaning more as they try to capture more light. So you will probably be fine putting them anywhere in the tank. I would put them all in a place where you can plainly see them. Some one might chime in and disagree, but this is my understanding on rics.

Salinity...
I think your salinity is too low. You may not be able to keep some inverts with it so low. You should try raising it to 1.025-1.026, I keep mine at 1.026, but anywhere in that range is good.

Splitting...
I thought that two mouths would mean that I would soon have rics splitting, but I have had mine for 4 months now, no splits and 3 of the four have two mouths.
Old 08/17/2003, 11:11 AM
Ricordea Junkie

I have one that has 4 mouths and others that have 3.
Old 08/17/2003, 02:41 PM
Registered Member

Thanks,
The water change brought me back up to .o22, and I usually keep it at .o23. So I will probably do another small change in a week.

David
Old 08/17/2003, 04:02 PM
TRC Leader

David, you can gradually raise your salinity by topping off with saltwater at 1.023 or better. Each day that 1/2g to 1g of water will increase it to the desired 1.026.
Old 08/18/2003, 01:49 AM
Registered Member

Marc,
You always show up with the right advice at the right time, thanks!

David