Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > More Forums > Reef Club Forums > West Region-Reef Club Forums > Bay Area - Reefers (BAR)
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01/05/2008, 01:46 AM
Ugly fishes need love too

Get a giant generator for the house and an automatic transfer switch like how the big boys do

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Transfer_switch
http://www.smps.us/transferswitch.html

That's how we have emergency power for our lab buildings at work.
Old 01/05/2008, 02:27 AM
Registered Member

This power outage sucks. My UPS backup was on during the day when I was work and of course ran out... I got home and still no power. I borrowed a bigger UPS backup from my sister and that is out... I'm at my fiancee's place recharging my UPS backup systems, and I'll head back home to try to keep everything alive. Been floating a gallon of hot water to raise the temperature rather than run a high power heater. Hope everyone's tanks are ok. I think I can keep everything alive through the night. Hopefully power will be back up by the morning...
Old 01/05/2008, 02:46 AM
Registered Member

I wish I read this post earlier......we have lost power since noon, and the power didn't come back at night, the tempeature in the tank was as low as 70 degree. I put my corals, because the tank is new and corals were not fixed, put them in the jug with a heater and 2 Gallon water in there.
Then, I brought the corals to my uncle's house and heat the water, but I didn't bring any power head to stir the water(((((, hopefully, the corals will not die.
Old 01/05/2008, 03:33 AM
Tailspot Blenny

I think the pump is one of the most important elements to keeping your corals alive. I'd definitely run back over there with a powerhead.
Old 01/05/2008, 12:24 PM
Premium Member

The next morning...

In the end, the power was down for 19 hours. It came back around 2:30 this morning and the early signs are encouraging. Insulating with a couple of blankets managed to keep the main tank at 76 through the first 8 hours. When I got home from work I added a hot water bottle and replaced it every 60-90 minutes to get the temp back up to 79. Other than that it was just the battery air pump and my manual water agitation when I changed the water bottle.

So far this morning, everyone looks happy and healthy. All swimmers are swimming and there are no obvious coral losses yet. Fingers crossed.
Old 01/05/2008, 01:00 PM
Registered Member

My power came back on at 8. Long night :P Outage was probably from 15-22hrs.
Old 01/05/2008, 01:50 PM
Registered Member

shame on me, I left my fish behind and went to my uncle's house for a warm night.
Old 01/05/2008, 05:06 PM
Registered Member

my powers been on and off since 10am today too . Thinking about picking up a generator. Kragen has a cheap 1500 watt one $200 bucks and a 4000 watt for $300. Both are made by Champion.
Old 01/05/2008, 05:13 PM
Registered Member

my power has been off for 26 hours, damn it. I came back home and net two fish out, the tank was 60 degree now, I was supprised the fish still alive. One of three fish hided into the LR, I can't get it. It was left alone inthe tank now. Let's give it all our best regarding.
Old 01/08/2008, 02:56 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by corals b 4 bills
Malster, I hope your still hanging in there! let me know how it goes after your power kicks back on. last month my power went off twice once at 7pm and a week later at 2am, Ups's are great for an hour or so but at 2 am I had to plug in my generator because I need to sleep for the night. buy a small generator it's worth it's weight in gold.

Oh yea, my gen. is one of those little 1950 watt jobers but it powered my return pump (mag 12) a 300 watt heater, my 50" plazma with the HD sattalite receiver. I didn't want to push it after that.
Thanks everyone. Well power was out from 2:30am Friday til about 11:30pm Friday, then out again from 5am til 4pm. Ran generator on main tank and Nano tank. Thank fully didn't lose anything in my main and Nano tank. Frag tank took a little beating and I lost my pom pom's, but zoo's are doing okay now. Could only run my generator into the night until 10pm or so though. Back yard took a major beating and tossed an empty sump tank across my yard and then filled it up about 4 inches (tank is 60g) no biggie as it's just an old sump tank. LOL

Now I'm ready for the the next power outage. Two battery backup air pump's for air, and generator for water flow and heat! Lost all my fridge and freezer stuff though.
Old 01/08/2008, 03:00 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Apon
Malster - did you ever find that CPR rebow elbow for me? Good luck with the power.

Doliver - don't put hot water into your tank you may burn some stuff. If you put hot water in a bottle and float that in your tank that would be better.

Glad I got my vortec battery backup
I looked and I found 2, but they only fit the knock off CPR unit. Still looking for something for ya.