Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > More Forums > Reef Club Forums > NorthEast Region-Reef Club Forums > Southern Tier Reef Society
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12/25/2007, 02:46 PM
Registered Member

creature conforts

Hi all Paula and I were thinking about going down on friday.We wondered what they have in the line of corals and how are they price wise.Thanks in advance Mickela
Old 12/25/2007, 08:39 PM
Premium Member

well they didt have to big of a selection and all there sps was browned out on Mon. not sure if they are goin to be getting another shipment before fri but i would say it is worth giveing a call and seeing, because i dont think i would drive down all this way for what they have. and a few fish had ich in the tank and all there tanks are connected. but they have some nice clams that are price from 29.99-49.99 and i think there corals are 29.99 and 39.99.
Old 12/25/2007, 09:04 PM
Registered Member

I don't have lights for a clam yet but working on it I have the light coming but lack the ballast for a 175.I guess all in due time thanks for the info.the lights they run are regular tank lights on the frag tanks
Old 12/26/2007, 11:48 AM
Premium Member

nah i believe they run 150 MH's of there tanks and most arnt fras more like mini colonies.
Old 12/31/2007, 10:19 AM
Premium Member

Our trip was disappointing and that is being kind. It was sad to se so many fish sick in one place. Quoted one price for coral and or clam and charged a higher price. We really had no problem spending money it was how it was all done why we chose not to. Had 4 employees ask if we needed help while walking in but when looking at corals blizzards exct. No one was to be found. For a store that sells Corals and Clams they had no clue what a metal halide light was. I'm really not sure how you all down there do it.
Old 12/31/2007, 10:44 AM
Premium Member

lol i told you...i new you'd be disapointed...lol...that being said i believe most of us get corals from each other and fish from online. i dont think i have had a fish from there live except for my lawnmower blenny...lol...
Old 12/31/2007, 12:26 PM
Registered Member

I bought a foxface from there. It's doing very well. It's been two weeks now. Fat as a pig.
Old 12/31/2007, 03:09 PM
Registered Member

Do most of my fish online and corals from other reef members.
Old 12/31/2007, 03:43 PM
Registered Member

I didn't like the way we were treated (like we don't know anything).Just all around rude
Old 12/31/2007, 03:45 PM
Premium Member

good o'l rick the *ick...lol...always an *ss. yes that was one of my major complains about that place in the begining as well. very rude and always talking down to you even when they are dead wrong which happens to be alot of the time... I worned ya that it wouldnt be worth the drive down...now how is your store up there in 'cuse, any better??
Old 12/31/2007, 04:29 PM
Premium Member

Not much better they will sell you non reef safe things in a heart beat and tell you it is safe. You have to know your stuff when you go in. Hardest thing there is to get help. They are pleasant, only the owner knows anything. It is hit and miss there as far as corals go. The rudness is what I can not get past. Yeh online is the way I usually do it but am getting killed with the shipping every time I find something I think I have to have. It is nice to see things in person once in a while.
Old 12/31/2007, 05:08 PM
Premium Member

well jeezzzz razzz why do you want everything....lol...j/k atleast you only have an hour north for a good fish store.
Old 12/31/2007, 06:01 PM
Registered Member

I ment that with all the money I have spent in that store over the years (dogs,cats,fish,lizard,turttle supplies) they should be a little more plesant.The one girl acted like I wanted a clam to put in a fresh water setup
Old 12/31/2007, 07:04 PM
Registered Member

I think what we all have to remember is that creature cumforts is a retail store. Not that you shouldnt expect friendly service but what store has that thru the entire time they are in bussiness. People come and go as does the level of knowledge. Fact still remains that you are talking about a store that sells every kind of pet you can find in a store. Walking in and expecting them to know expert answers about any of them is a stretch. Would be like trying to buy a thoroughbred race horse at the local stock yard and being upset that the auctionier cant answer a question about its health,food requirments or breeding habits.

I dont like the owner any more than the next guy and I for sure dont like giving him any of my money but I dont blame him for running his business the way he wants. I just choose to buy or not by from him based on health of the thing im looking at. Not weather or not somebody ran right up and was able to answer any and every question I had. When I want that kind of service I go to a specialty shop.
Old 12/31/2007, 07:13 PM
Registered Member

I asked about a clam that was a small (only had 2 smalls) then after they agree they try to charge for a medium.But yeah I like our swaps much better
Old 12/31/2007, 08:58 PM
Premium Member

but ryan people come and go i do under stand that. but i know atleast 4 people that have been there for atleast 4 years now, and they are still as rude as the first time i had gone in there. im not saying that they should know everything about everything in the store but atleast be able to tell me the name of the coral i am looking at, not of the top of there heads by al means no one working there could remeber all of that but atleast hve it written some where in the fish dept so each employee can look and see what it is. also as mickela has experienced with there priceing i have gone in there and there is one guy who is always nice and asks if you need help and is very pleasent to talk to, knows nothing about salt but still trys, he tells me one price and as he is saying some one walking by says another price and the they get a thrid person who says a third price. I dont believe that the way he runs that part of his buisness is very good and i know they are hourly workers but there are other pet shops that have much more friendly employees, that are friendly most if nto all the time. im sorry im just venting not a big fan of the owner or the way the store as a hole treats its customers.
Old 12/31/2007, 11:03 PM
Registered Member

Well Im getting old and senile so it isnt much of a comparison but I dont know the names of all the coral. Nor could I look at a list and point out what everyone was on the list under what name. Im not defending them but im sure it sounds like it. Im really just saying chill and be happy that the 1 and only store we have to eye it and buy it has at least every once in a while something that doesnt look to bad and they are at least trying. I bought my first coral from them just last month in over 5 years of going there. Find out what days they get their shipments in and go that evening. I think its Tuesday. You want to wait till Saturday and drive down you risk a wasted trip.

As far as them being rude, Ive never been treated rudely by anyone there excpt the owner and I just dont ask him for help or try to offer him any anymore. It his store, I can choose to go in or not.
Old 12/31/2007, 11:15 PM
Premium Member

very true on remeber or even spoting a farmiliar name on a huge list but to have only like 5 dif sps in the tank and only know the name of one is just sad. but any who same here havnt bought a coral there in 3 years and the first was 2 weeks ago...lol...but as you said atleast they are trying. but there is a very good reason for that as well. petco is coming w/ salt and most likly with lower prices so they need to make there stuff more apealing now more than ever. but any way i'll be there with ya on tues wonder if there'll be anything good. i always like surpirses.
Old 01/01/2008, 12:52 AM
Registered Member

Ok, I've got to ask, where is Petco coming to? This is the first I've heard of it. There's already a PetSmart on Vestal Parkway right?
Old 01/01/2008, 07:46 AM
Registered Member

Close to the oakdale mall on harry L drive in johnson city. Actually its right next to toys r us.
Old 01/01/2008, 10:15 AM
Premium Member

yes there already is petsmart in vestal. petco will be in the same complex as the new christmas tree shop. as dave said right in the same plaza as toys r us. there sign says they will be opening in the winter of 08, so my guess would be in the next 2 months.
Old 01/01/2008, 10:35 AM
Registered Member

Id bet they are talking about the end of the year not the beginning. Spring summer fall winter. Even tho its actually winter spring summer fall winter. Here to hoping you are right tho.
Old 01/01/2008, 10:56 AM
Registered Member

Nothing inside at all. Just one big open space.
Old 01/01/2008, 01:34 PM
Registered Member

When the article came out in the paper it made it sound like it would be up by spring time.
Old 01/03/2008, 09:17 AM
Just say no to DSB

Well, the signs are all up so I don't think it will be much longer. I feel bad for J&J's right there

"There is never enough time to do all the nothing you want" - Calvin