Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Marine Fish Forums > Fish Only & Aggressive Tanks
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04/09/2006, 09:17 PM
Registered Member

Lightbulb My miracle dip recipe

i have found the recipe for success in treating these various ailments:
ich, oodinuim, cloudy eyes, white patches, lethargy, fasting

results from this dip are seen within 72 hours

dosing is for 2 gallons of water

3 drops quick cure
.25 teaspoon melafix, regular strength (if pond care strength, use 5 drops)
2 scoops kanaplex
.5 teaspoon RxP (kent)

add airation via sir stone at a toleralbe level, add fish and let sit for 1-2 hours I usually have delicate fish only dip for an hour 15 min, and tougher fish for the full 2 hours.
i have sucessfully used this dip on lions angels tangs, but more importantly puffers, boxfishes with great success.

i dont medicate my tanks anymore, i just dip.
oh also i pull water directly from the tank to make the solution, so that there is no acclimation shock.

i got fed up with fish fug one day and dumped a bunch of chemicals together... tada magic dip.
the best part is after the dip the fish are not stresed, and go right back to their normal habits, and generaly take food within 10 minutes of being returned

i have been using this dip for over 4 months now without fail or fish loss.
Old 04/09/2006, 10:12 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
i dont medicate my tanks anymore, i just dip.
If you have Ich and dip, the Ich is still in your tank ..... I do not get what you are saying here. So you constantly dip your fish yet never get rid of the problem?

Quote:
i have been using this dip for over 4 months now without fail or fish loss.
If this works than why are you still dipping your fish 4 months later?

Kaye
Old 04/10/2006, 10:09 AM
Registered Member

First off: Ick NEVER EVER no matter what is 100% eliminated from saltwater fish. Period. The balance the organism colony has with its environment is the only change. Sort of like saying that as a society we (humans) can completely eliminate bacteria.

Stress, water conditions, infected/infested level of a particular fish, etc all contribute to the balance.

As for the "4 months" ever considered the possibility ther perhaps this person is talking about different fish, different tanks, even at different locations (if you read her tagline she does work in the aquarium industry presumably with a variety of fish/tanks/clients/etc)

Example: Does your doctor treat YOU for 4 months or has he been using an effective treatment on patients FOR 4 months?
Old 04/10/2006, 11:54 AM
Registered Member

Cool recipe. When the need arises perhaps I will give it a try
Old 04/10/2006, 02:27 PM
Ordinary Average Guy

Quote:
Originally posted by LRS078
First off: Ick NEVER EVER no matter what is 100% eliminated from saltwater fish. Period. ...
Well.....I used to think that also, but there's been some research done that shows otherwise. Below is a link to an article that discusses this issue (among other ich information). Scroll down a bit to get to the part about ich always being in ours systems under the section heading: Correcting Myths About Marine "Ich".

http://www.petsforum.com/personal/tr...marineich.html
Old 04/10/2006, 02:50 PM
Member of the Month

How do you keep the water (mixture) warm while you are dipping the fish? I have always wondered this. If the water gets to cool doesn't it harm the fish? Thanks for the info.
Old 04/10/2006, 02:51 PM
Registered Member

LRS078, I was asking Petstorejunkie because it should specify, there are new people joining daily that may not understand this......

Kaye
Old 04/10/2006, 03:27 PM
Registered Member

i am a firm believer that ich is always in a system, fish build up imunity to ich
Old 04/10/2006, 08:39 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by emperior911
i am a firm believer that ich is always in a system, fish build up imunity to ich
A member named Paul B claims his fish are immune to ich. He should know since he tends to have fish about a decade
Old 04/11/2006, 01:18 AM
Registered Member

I have had a few ich spots on new arivals to my reef tank, but it has never spread to other fish in the tank and goes away in a few days. I have a theory that between good food and clean water, and the corals eating the ich parasites that ich can be controlled naturally in the REEF tank. I am not sure about fish only systems though.
Old 04/11/2006, 10:00 AM
Registered Member

volitan: what i have found is that it is true that you can never truely elimenate the threat of ich from your tank, but, so far with this method, i have not had a fish break out a second time that has remained in the same environment.
real life example: in my old 55 i had (granted all are very small and i do many water changes, and have less than 10ppm nitrates) a dogface puffer, a stars and stripes puffer, longhorn cow, and a pb tang. each fish after treatment never broke out with ich again, until they were transferred to a new environment (the 75) where the cow and the tang re broke out, and were dipped and there have been no signs of reinfestation
i fully inderstand the life cycle of ich and consider a fish "cured" of the paracite after 6 weeks of being clear. notice i use the term "cured" rather loosley, i think that this dip gives fish the hand up on their immune system to fish the ich themselves. much like a freshwater dip offers relief, but doesnt cure it, it helps get the infestation on the fish under control enough for the fish to start fighting it.

sunfish: i do believe that fish uild up an immunity to ich, thus the creation of this dip, i think it helps them twards that end result. one of the downsides is ich and other bacterias, protazoans, and paracites can become immune to medications, which is why i dont medicate my tank anymore, i literally had copper immune ich in my systems. although the retail purchased copper test kits are not entirely acurate, and copper can be absorbed into the decor of the tank, and dissipate out. hence the creation of this dip.

cord, you bring up a very interesting point, i bet that plantonic feeding corals would have a field day with free floating protazoa! interesting observation!
Old 04/11/2006, 11:09 PM
Huh???

another point for discussion:

the fact that in well established tanks with no new additions or threat of cross-contamination with another tank, without the introduction of new DNA to the breeding pool, ich will effectively breed itself out of existance.

This is why UV, IME, helps diminish ich. It will kill most of the ich that passes through it, but more importantly, it will scramble the DNA of the surviving ich, thus "screwing up" (very technical term, I don't expect most non-science types to follow!) the breeding population of ich
Old 04/14/2006, 09:45 PM
Registered Member

i was a huge supporter of UV sterilizers until i had had one on my tank for over three months, no new fish, and copper levels of 20ppm and still had ich