Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > More Forums > Reef Club Forums > SouthWest Region-Reef Club Forums > Central Oklahoma Marine Aquarium Society
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12/12/2007, 06:10 PM
Registered Member

Losing Respect for my Fish

Used to be I could watch my tank for hours without my fish caring. Now they follow me around waiting for food. They act like my ciclids or guppies. The clowns in my symbiote tank.... don't ask. I've seen cats with more restraint when you turn on a can opener
Old 12/12/2007, 06:14 PM
Team RC Member

Maybe you shouldn't spoil them so much

Or better yet, make em earn it! Teach em to do double back flips and a twist for some food. Nows the perfect time while they're all hungry everytime they see you, lol.

Click on my homepage to be taken to my RC Blog!
Old 12/12/2007, 06:18 PM
Premium Member

JK that's funny. I think my fish can read the clock and they know what feeding time is.

"You can say any foolish thing to a dog, and the dog will give you a look that says, 'My God, you're right! I never would've thought of that!'" --Dave Barry
Old 12/12/2007, 06:22 PM
King of the Echo People!

Whenever I get close, they always swim to one end of the tank, where I always drop in the food.

I think I need to switch it up, just to mess with them....lol

Of course, they also mess with the cats too, so they have got to have some kind of sadistic side.
Old 12/12/2007, 06:23 PM
Team RC Member

The last pair of orange & white occellaris I owned would actually swim up to me to feed when I grabbed the "red food can' but would ingore me when I grabbed the "blue" one. I remember reading an article awhile back on how visually oriented common clownfish really are....to the point that they can recognize individuals. My fish know I feed them, but they don't run up as much to jess. She's gotta be in there for a minute or two before they "ask" her to feed em.

Old 12/12/2007, 06:25 PM
Team RC Member

Quote:
Originally posted by nIx_tank
I think I need to switch it up, just to mess with them....lol
oh I always do that, lol. Drop the food in front of a random powerhead and let the current take it. It's funny watching my clowns and the chalk basses run around like mad wondering where the food is going to come to. They all come up to me to say "feed me" but when I grab the food, they all kinda spread out and pick their spot. Shame to admit I do this specifically to mess with em. All my other fish get a feeding ring,

Old 12/12/2007, 07:09 PM
Reefing... Neato cool!

My fish line up like a bunch of inmates. If anyone walks by the tank around feeding time they hit the chow line. The starry blenny almost stands up and begs. His front fins are on the side glass. Hawk is behind him on the ground with the two clowns above.

You can train some fish. I had a flame hawk that would swim through a hoop. I am NOT making this up!

CRASE 2008
Old 12/12/2007, 07:44 PM
Premium Member

I thought scientific studies had proven that fish only had something like an 8 second memory. I personally think mine disprove the theory, but who am I to argue with science. Obviously, my daily observations are somehow flawed.

Jeff Prince
OMAS Program Coordinator
Old 12/13/2007, 12:38 PM
Team RC Member

Quote:
Originally posted by jprince58
Obviously, my daily observations are somehow flawed.
eh, don't beat yourself up. Could be everyone else that's flawed.

I too have read articles on fish memory being really short like that, but also keep seeing various articles pop up occasionally disproving those idea's for certain species. So maybe knowbody knows for sure. i know some humans that only have an 8 second memory.

Old 12/13/2007, 02:35 PM
King of the Echo People!

Quote:
Originally posted by papagimp
i know some humans that only have an 8 second memory.
I don't know about that, I mean we as humans have gotten to the point in which there is no way that we would not be able to remember past... hey look, a chicken!
Old 12/13/2007, 02:50 PM
Registered Member

It may be a difference in definition between what is considered true "memory", and a "conditioned response". We all know fish can be taught a conditioned response to food, we've all probably experienced it. It may not be what passes as "memory", but I see it every day when I remove the empty clip that hold the Nori, and the tang goes nuts until it appears again with some food attached. It my not be memory, but the tang sure knows the when an empty clip goes away for a while, it comes back full...
Old 12/13/2007, 03:37 PM
Registered Member

You may have a point there. I had a blue throat that when ever i put my hand in the tank she ate. Wether i had food in it or not!
Old 12/13/2007, 04:09 PM
King of the Echo People!

Quote:
Originally posted by TulsaReefer
It may be a difference in definition between what is considered true "memory", and a "conditioned response". We all know fish can be taught a conditioned response to food, we've all probably experienced it. It may not be what passes as "memory", but I see it every day when I remove the empty clip that hold the Nori, and the tang goes nuts until it appears again with some food attached. It my not be memory, but the tang sure knows the when an empty clip goes away for a while, it comes back full...
Well, it goes beyond just fish, as when I see a cow I salivate.
Old 12/18/2007, 12:53 AM
Registered Member

I love how all the fish have their own 'responses'. I have to say though, having kept, reared and multiplied my clownfish pairs, my girlfriend became enammered with puffers. We have a stars and stripes, stellatus (starry), Mappa puffer, white spot toby, hawaiian blue and Valantini puffer who have out grown the 72 gallon and just picked up an order from glass cages--finally my 135 which should suite them until yet again they are too large..I guessyjay uun

We lost power for 4 days and thanks to catalytic controlle heayers, I was uanlt p k

Clownfish Fanatic
Old 12/18/2007, 12:30 PM
Registered Member

the only thing that anoysme about my fish is when i want to sit there and examin my tank i got my young enerjetic false perc almost doing back fips in fornt of my face to get me to feed her.

so i mave my hand to the other side of the tank to where she follows so i can enjoy my view. its like pointing at a corner and off she goes.

what tops it off is that after a few min she gets my 2 yellow tailed blue damsels into it to so i get bombarded by all three.

the only time i can sit infront of the glass is when i have my cat, in which she tries to get them through the glass.