Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Marine Fish Forums > Anemones & Clownfish
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 06/26/2003, 09:37 AM
Reeferus Horribilus

Anemone Deaths ?

I have had two failures in a row with Anemones in my tank. I need to try to figure out if the problem is my tank before making another attempt.

First one was a LTA from IA. It arrived very swollen. It never attached after acclimation. It ate some squid the first 2 days, then nothing. It would swell up until it looked like it would burst. I took it out after 2 weeks the morning that it's mouth was open and a third of the tentacles were deflated.

Second was an H. crispa from LA. It arrived nearly inside-out. Most of it's gut protruding out of its mouth. It did attach to the rock. For the first 4 days it would give feeding response, but not eat. Tried squid, ****le, Mysis and Silversides. It would expand and contract during the day, it expelled some blackish ooze on a couple days. The last 3 days it was detached and blowing around on the sand bed, usually upside down. This morning its mouth was very protruded and open and most of my corals looked really bad, so I took it out and put in new carbon.

About my tank: Lighting and general is in profile. It has been running about 11 months, very stable the past 6. Most everything in the tank does very well. Excellent growth on corals (hard & soft) sponges, fan worms and Tunicates etc. thrive and reproduce. Current is from 3 MJ 1200 on a wavemaker. SG=1.025, pH avg. 8.16, All params NH4, NO2, NO3 and PO4 are undetectable. Caulerpa & Chaetomorpha in refugium. Ca. 425, Alk 9.4. Drip Kalk, B-Ionic as needed. 5g. water change weekly.

Both these specimens were in pretty poor shape on arrival, but one concern I have is that Dr. Ron had mentioned that it might be because of the sponges in the tank. I have several yellow hitch-hikers, one has grown to the size of a tennis ball. Do these preclude me from having an anemone? Anyone have both in their tank? I haven't seen mention of this anywhere else in all my research on Anemones. See anything I have missed?