Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > More Forums > Reefkeeping Online Magazine > Tank of the Month
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12/17/2007, 08:13 AM
Registered Member

Amazing tank. You use the pvc rack to live rock, is it trap the detritus in the bottom rock that contact to aquarium?
My tank like you, have BB tank and alot of wave. Why my coral not have deep colour but the lightening colour. Is it true if we feed more to fish or coral will have deep colour? Because my PO4 is lower than you about <0,01 ppm (tropic marine).
Old 12/17/2007, 09:38 PM
Registered Member

Dear Mr. Kai Leung (fastfish) !

I am still very impressed with yr reef aquarium the balance you have between the SPS corals and the fishes !! Unfortunately here in Panama we do not have the access to purchase the SPS corals only soft corals ! There is only one pet store in my country that sell every month or so marine fishes and some soft corals despite I have asked them to bring the SPS to Panama.
I am under the impression that the SPS corals is more easy to maintain than the soft corals. I would like to try to keep SPS.

Regards
Fernando Chang
Old 12/17/2007, 10:23 PM
Registered Member

Maybe LiveAquaria.com will ship to Panama?
Old 12/18/2007, 02:01 AM
Registered Member

That is one beautiful tank! I can only hope that one day I'll be able to have a setup half that nice! Congrats and thanks for sharing it with us.

Bruce
Old 12/18/2007, 07:34 AM
Premium Member

markreefer - Thanks! Most of the live rocks in my tank are positioned above the PVC docking stations, only a few pieces of live rocks on the right hand side sits directly on the bottom of the acrylic, because I try to minimize the restriction of flow at the bottom. The picture in the TOTM article only shows the rocks that rest above the PVC docking stations, there are about 300lbs of live rocks in the tank. The bottom part of the tank is not covered, there is only a tiny amount of coralline algae at the bottom, but it is not very noticeable, since the corals are covering most of the space.

plancton - The 2 T5s that I am using are doing a pretty good job at creating the dawn and dusk effect, I mainly use this effect for my fish. I don't want to shock the fish when the metal halide turns off and the tank goes completely dark. The T5s are setup to point diagonally towards the back.

pattykat9 - Thank you very much! I am glad you like it.

FVernese - Thanks! I don't directly feed my corals, I only feed the fish in my system, I believe the corals can receive enough food from the water column with the appropriate amount of lighting.

LuvAngels88 - Thanks a lot!

Reefaquariumnut - Thanks for your kind words!

tfp - Thanks so much! I don't use any carbon for my system, I only run RowaPhos in the Deltec FR509 fluidized reactor.

reefworldaq - Thank you! The two penductors are shooting heavy flow directly to the bottom of the tank, so almost no detritus can settle at the bottom, except the corner where the detritus are intentionally directed at.

Fernando Chang - Thanks a lot! There are many different approaches in keeping corals, it only depends on which method is more suitable for your system.

SCIFI_3D_zoo - Thanks!

Floop70 - Thanks! It was my pleasure to share my tank with other hobbyists.

Old 12/18/2007, 09:01 AM
Registered Member

FatFish very nice.. How do you keep you tangs so healthy looking and keep your PO down. I'm always fighting high PO levels. How do you keep them low?
75 gal. started 6/2002,4" DSB EVV Oolitic sand,75 lbs. LR, 2- 175w MH,2-100w VHO lights, 30 gal sump, 2 tank raised percula clowns,1 Foxface,1 red sea purple tang, scooter blenny,algee blenny and corals.
Old 12/19/2007, 01:05 AM
Registered Member

What do you think is the main reason for the amazing coloration in your tank?
Old 12/19/2007, 01:05 AM
Registered Member

What do you think is the main reason for the amazing coloration in your tank?
Old 12/19/2007, 02:38 PM
Registered Member

Wow! You should contact one of the saltwater fish magazines as I am sure they would publish pictures and a story about you and your beautiful tank! I thought a lot of those fish eat corals? or do they only eat soft corals? Maybe they leave them alone because you feed so often. Don't know as I only do fish only with a couple of large angelfish. Beautiful! Lesley
Old 12/19/2007, 03:11 PM
TRC Leader

Quote:
Originally posted by lesleybird
Wow! You should contact one of the saltwater fish magazines as I am sure they would publish pictures and a story about you and your beautiful tank! I thought a lot of those fish eat corals? or do they only eat soft corals? Maybe they leave them alone because you feed so often. Don't know as I only do fish only with a couple of large angelfish. Beautiful! Lesley
While I know you mean in a print magazine, Reefkeeping Online is an excellent e-magazine that is published monthly and has been out for years. It is a huge honor for his tank to be featured in it.
Old 12/19/2007, 03:22 PM
Registered Member

Fastfish. It is always a pleasure to see pictures of your wonderful Reef. It's truly a work of living art and TOTM is an honour truly deserved. Congratulations

Jason
Old 12/19/2007, 05:55 PM
Registered Member

Fantastic tank and thank you for the details on the theory and setup of your tank.

I am interested in getting a Kole Tang for my tank but worry about the amount of detrius that it can put into the tank. What
do you feed them? I also read that Tangs can be Ich magnets.
Have you had any issues with your Kole Tang?
Old 12/20/2007, 11:26 PM
Registered Member

Fastfish- AMAZING! This is one of the finest reefs I have ever layed eyes on!

Last edited by stunreefer; 12/21/2007 at 12:03 AM.
Old 12/22/2007, 09:03 AM
Registered Member

Congratulations fastfish, an honor well deserved. What a stunning tank!
Old 12/23/2007, 01:59 PM
Premium Member

beautiful tank! What a great selection of fish. Does the scribbled angel nip at anything?? IME they tend to love meaty corals (clams, brains etc) just wondering if you have seen anything with the SPS.

nicely done
Old 12/27/2007, 08:59 PM
Registered Member

I always read about each months TOTM but this is the first time I've felt I had to add to the kudo's and tell you how truly beautiful I think your reef tank and fish are. I also was happy to see that you feed them so often (although not in great quantity.) I feel that I am my fishes and inverts caretaker and it's my obligation to keep them well fed and healthy. I'm glad to see that you do too. Fantastic tank and pictures!!
Old 12/29/2007, 12:02 PM
Registered Member

WOW. Simply amazing is all I can say...
Thank you for sharing. Very inspiring...

"We can't help everyone, but everyone can help someone"
Ronald Reagan

LIFE'S BEEN GOOD
Old 12/29/2007, 12:20 PM
Registered Member

[QUOTE]Originally posted by fastfish
[B]markreefer - Thanks! Most of the live rocks in my tank are positioned above the PVC docking stations, only a few pieces of live rocks on the right hand side sits directly on the bottom of the acrylic, because I try to minimize the restriction of flow at the bottom. The picture in the TOTM article only shows the rocks that rest above the PVC docking stations, there are about 300lbs of live rocks in the tank. The bottom part of the tank is not covered, there is only a tiny amount of coralline algae at the bottom, but it is not very noticeable, since the corals are covering most of the space.[QUOTE]

I just want to clarify the statement above. The PVC racks are placed directly on the bottom pane of the aquarium? I currently have a BB setup w/starboard. The starboard actually traps detritus between it and the glass. I am considering taking the starboard out and using a rack system like the one you built placed directly on the glass.

Thank you for any feedback and as stated numerous times before, gorgeous tank.
Old 12/30/2007, 02:08 PM
Registered Member

I am truely inspired by the coloration in your tank. The dedication to this hobby that you have shown is amazing. I am glad to see someone keeping fish with SPS and making it very very successful. Keep up the hard work. We are all trying to follow in your footsteps.

Jen

Still hoping to make tank diving an olympic sport
Old 01/01/2008, 01:17 AM
Registered Member

longnose filefish

Wow it wood be sweet to put two longnose filelish in there, they wouldnt do much damage grazing on the sps eather.
Old 01/03/2008, 08:12 AM
Registered Member

very nice. Congrats.
Old 01/03/2008, 10:53 PM
Registered Member

In what order did you put the tangs into your system. i have a 4" powder brown in my 65g now and a 3" powder blue in qt, i would also like to get an achilies when i set-up my 210, so if you could help me out a little by giving me some info on how you got them in there and what did you do to prevent aggresion, thanks

also what order did you put the angels in mainly the regal and majestic.

also that is a very nice tank
Old 01/04/2008, 06:33 PM
Registered Member

What a really nice tank. You should be very proud.
Old 01/05/2008, 07:05 AM
Premium Member

Fastfish, your tank is very nice. The colors are among the best I have ever seen.

I have an eductor fed by my return pump. I had to drill 2 holes just under the water line in case I lose power, the siphon will break and my sump will not overflow. How do you remedy this problem with your setup? The reason I ask is because drilling the hole causes the eductor/penductor to lose their capabilities.

Thanks!

-Brian

Last edited by Briankook; 01/05/2008 at 07:36 AM.