Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > More Forums > Reefkeeping Online Magazine > Tank of the Month
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07/11/2007, 07:50 AM
Registered Member

Awsome awsome tank very beautiful.
Old 07/11/2007, 10:23 PM
Registered Member

sweet tank

love the modern minimal look, congrats.
future plans why not sell the tunze and get Hydor Koralia 4's (1200 GPH) ? can buy them here for $50 a piece.

I had the d70s and moved on the d200 love it. great pictures and technique , great lenses. the 105 is a vr? coffee filter may work but I like a plastic white bottle top in the water, I also use my flash the 500 and bounce it off my hammertone reflectors

like the trap idea I have to get rid of a pair of huge wrasses (elephant and eclipse) they have eaten all the snails and sandsifters. the food you feed is floating how do you do it?

copperbands ever considered?

again great stuff. Steve Toronto, Ont.
Old 07/12/2007, 11:46 AM
Registered Member

I just wanna say, what a beautiful tank you have. It's tanks like yours that makes me want to get back into the hobby. Great job, looks beautiful.
Old 07/12/2007, 04:54 PM
Registered Member

fantastic. congratulations on the nomination, very well deserved.
Old 07/14/2007, 02:38 AM
Registered Member

SLODEN53 - Thx. I wrote how I do the shots in my first reply. In addition, I do some cropping and minimal adjustments in photoshop. If you look in the photo section in the forum, theres lots of tips and tricks on how to improve photos. One of the clams is directly on the sand, the other two are attached to small flat rocks hidden under the sand. Ill probably keep them in the sand in case i want to move them later on.

Lomholt – The frame in the ceiling is wood and the mdf attached with screws. The MDF at the bottom are connected to the steelframe with some kind of metal band with lots of holes in it. I didnt build it myself, and I dont know the english technical term for it

piscies75 – Thx. Its a Nikon 105mm VR. I havent had the time to try it out much, but it looks like a really good lens. Getting a macro lens really opened up a whole new world to taking photos of the corals. The D200 is on my wishlist. If I ever get a bigger aquarium a copperband will probably be on the stocking list, but at the moment theres no room for additional fish. I will probably change the naso if it ever gets totally rid of the bubble algae. It eats like a pig, and really polutes the water. The large tunze pumps have flowrate of 5283 gph, and the medium ones 3170 gph. Changing them for koralia 4’s 1200 gph would be a drastically downgrade in flow. The automatic feeder is built in the canopy at a little height. That makes the pellets gain enough speed to break through the water instead of floating. I soak the flake food in aquarium water for half a minute before feeding.

Thx again
Old 07/14/2007, 08:08 PM
Premium Member

Beautiful! Love the openness of your tank.

Where in oslo are you? I might have to pay a visit (christmas) next time I'm in town! The wife's from Snaroyva.

Keep up the good work!
Old 07/15/2007, 12:03 AM
Registered Member

very nice looking. i like the idea of using the tank as a "wall" separator. giving me ideas for my house. too bad we don't have basements in Texas.
Old 07/15/2007, 08:57 PM
Registered Member

Thumbs up

Incredible setup! I especially like the design, it complements the area of realestate to work with.
Old 07/17/2007, 12:42 AM
Registered Member

I'm not sure if someone asked you this already, but is this tank on a second floor? I thought I saw the outside of your window and it looks somewhat raised.

You have an awesome tank by the way.
Old 07/17/2007, 06:11 AM
Registered Member

I LOVE YOUR TANK!
I love your goldflake angel
I was wondering about your thoughts on sand?

Thanks,
Deb
Old 07/18/2007, 01:46 AM
Registered Member

MikeG – Sure, I live in Grefsen, its about a twenty minutes drive from snaryøya.

Cesar357 – The tank is on the second floor. The house has been thoroughly reinforced to handle the weight.

Damsel13 – I keep a shallow sand for the look of it. I have a few sandsifting stars, cerith snails and two fighting conch that do a good jobb cleaning it. Even though I switched from Carbib Sea Fiji Pink to Special Grade with larger grain size, I still have problems keeping an even sand bed. The goldflake is one of my favorites, the pictures really doesnt do justice to the colors of this fish.

Its been a rainy summer here in Norway so far, so Ive had some time to work on the tank. The smallest tunze pumps have been upgraded to 3,170 gph. That really made quite a difference. I think i made up my mind regarding the lights, and going for Lumenarc III Mini Stealth DE with 400 watts Giesemann 14,5k bulbs or XM 20K. Ive tried the 250 watts XM before and they really made the corals glow. Anyone know if the 400 watts XM 20K is whiter than the 250 version ?

Ive been noticing some of my corals looked damaged in the morning, so I put up a red light and kept the tank under observation. Big surprise. A worm at least 24 inches came crawling out from the rocks. Ive managed to get a hold of it, but unfortunately it split.

Old 07/18/2007, 02:21 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Cesar357 – The tank is on the second floor. The house has been thoroughly reinforced to handle the weight.
Oh wow. I was worried about placing a 60g tank on a second floor. That's awesome.
Old 07/19/2007, 02:56 AM
Registered Member

thanks for the reply melev, What do you add in there? I don't know much about thses stuff.
Old 07/19/2007, 09:25 PM

Great job! I remember seeing your tank a while back as remembering the cowfish domain name. What an interesting great turn you have made from the previous tank.

Keep up the good work! Your corals are growing at a great rate and be ready to start chopping some of those down.
Old 07/21/2007, 09:46 PM
Registered Member

"Ive been noticing some of my corals looked damaged in the morning, so I put up a red light and kept the tank under observation. Big surprise. A worm at least 24 inches came crawling out from the rocks. Ive managed to get a hold of it, but unfortunately it split."

Check this out from oregonreef.com http://www.oregonreef.com/sub_worm.htm
Old 07/22/2007, 12:35 AM
Registered Member

That thing is huge...............
Old 07/22/2007, 08:35 AM
Registered Member

They are Fireworms.
Old 07/23/2007, 06:31 PM
Registered Member

Tank looks great. Good job.
Old 07/25/2007, 01:11 PM
Registered Member

Very nice tank. One day I will send you a PM for your plans LOL
Old 07/26/2007, 12:47 AM
Registered Member

Your tank is beautiful. I have a couple of quick questions. I went to your website and I only see 2 of the Tunzes. Where are the others? I really would like to do a room divider like you did. I love the fact you cannot see any equipment in the tank. =) That is what I am shooting for. Do you have any close ups of how you managed to hide those Tunzes? Thank you. Very inspirational!

40 breeder, BM 150 Skimmer, 25 gallon sump/fuge, Aqualight Pro, Closed loop with Reeflo Sequence Snapper and Vortech.
Old 07/29/2007, 02:42 AM
Registered Member

NanoCube-boy – I have A.R.M aragonite reactor media in the calcium reactor and E.S.V. Calcium Hydroxide in the kalkwasser mixer.

invincible569 - Thx. I was reading your new build thread the other day. I loved the open look of your old tank, and the new one is just amazing.

Antiguan – It looks a lot like the one Steve Weast had. I guess they are into SPS too. No luck catching it yet.

MarineGirl411 – I have two tunzes on each side of the overflow. The pumps at the bottom are Tunze Stream 6100 3,170 g/h, and the pumps at the top are 6200 5,283 g/h.
Im running them in pulse mode 50 – 80%.

Old 07/30/2007, 11:04 AM
Registered Member

Very beautiful tank, I have a question. Your tank dimention is 200 cm L x 75 cm W x 60 H cm and use four Tunze Stream pumps controlled by a Tunze Multicontroller: 2 x 20,000 liters/hour and 2 x 7,000 liters/hour. The pumps are installed on each side of the overflow, is it good position for pump? ( normally, two pumps are installed at the same side and two in opposite )
Thanks,

2 of the Tunzes. Where are the others? I really would like to do a room divider like you did. I love the fact you cannot see any equipment in the tank. =) That is what I am shooting for. Do you have any close ups of how you managed to hide those Tunzes? Thank you. Very inspirational!
Old 08/02/2007, 02:04 AM
Registered Member

Witoon – I placed all the pumps in one side to make viewing of the aquarium free of any equipment. It would be better to spread them at opposite sides.
Old 08/02/2007, 08:05 AM
Registered Member

One of the most stylish tanks I have ever seen, congratulations!

What are you using between the stand and the floor and between the aquarium and stand?

Do you notice a big difference when using optiwhite glass? I am planning a similar tank and I assume the difference would be quite big when viewing through two glasses of this thickness.

Heja Norge !
Old 08/02/2007, 08:28 AM
Registered Member

The Cardinal – Thx. The stand is placed on MDF. On top of the stand Ive used depron isolation plate > mdf > depron isolation plate to even out the surface. The optiwhite glass is definitely worth the extra cash. In combination with the use of ozone the clearity when looking through the aquarium is amazing.

If you look at this picture you can see the difference. The support bracers are made with regular glass.
http://www.cowfish.info/content/900%...liter/1100.jpg