Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > More Forums > Reefkeeping Online Magazine > Notes from the Trenches
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10/07/2005, 06:15 PM
Registered Member

Goniopora Article

Nice article Justing. You have taken a large step in proving out what a lot of people have been saying: goni's need food, there are some good foods on the market now.

There are a number of people on RC keeping and feeding gonis now so I believe we will get more confirmation of what you have found.

I notice that you feed 3 to 5 times a week. Glad to see it and I hope other people notice. In their natural environment, these corals feed every day. I believe that Veron noted that these corals have their polyps extended day and night; continuous feeders.

Fred
Old 10/11/2005, 09:30 PM
Registered Member

Hi Fredfish,
Yes i believe fequent feeding has greatly increased chances of survival for Goniopora. With systems that are geared for plankton production you can have the benefit of having food available all day and night long for the coral to eat. I will often feed them 3 times a day! There are a lot of potential new foods that could be of great use. Most of Goniopora had a strong reaction to fresh urchin eggs. We are just scratching the surface.
J
ustin
Old 10/16/2005, 02:25 PM
Registered Member

Smile Justins Article

WOW! Justin you have done an incredible (ha ha no pun intended) job with this article and your research. I can say first hand that I have seen this bloom in coral activity at Fin and Feather. I am proud to say that I work with Justin and always enjoy gleaning from his vast knowledge of corals. A job well done Justin, keep up the good work!!
Old 10/16/2005, 06:29 PM
Registered Member

Rock!!
Old 10/17/2005, 10:09 PM
Registered Member

I'm sure your gonis love you for getting fed 3 times a day. Where do you buy fresh urchin eggs. Living in the middle of the country makes it harder to find stuff like this.

Fred
Old 10/18/2005, 09:39 AM
Registered Member

So far you can't buy them. They are sold as human food in Japan but aree prepared in a way that makes them unsuitable for coral. I got mine from fresh imports that spawned.
Old 10/19/2005, 09:08 PM
Registered Member

Too bad. Always interested in new foods.

Fred.
Old 10/24/2005, 07:20 AM
Registered Member

justin are the system that you use a mixed salt system or seawater if mix what salt are you using. just wondering since i'm so close we use seawater right out of the ocean.
can you tell me more about the filtering systems your using.
Thank you