Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Do It Yourself
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03/31/2004, 11:16 PM
Registered Member

Weatherson, What can I say that has'nt been said?

Beautiful, awesome, very nice.

BTW, the Jasper is just fantastic!
Old 04/01/2004, 01:10 AM
Premium Member

steve68: I had posted a video before but I forget whether it was on this thread or one of the others. Here it is if not here. Click HERE to see the movie. You will need Quicktime viewer to see it though. The only alteration I have done was to replace the three-way internal output elbows for simple 90-degree outputs. These are at the center with one on each side allowing me to direct them to create more of a swirl effect within the contact chamber. I haven't noticed too much of a difference in foam production since but it has reduced the amount of accumulated, larger bubbles by keeping the mixture moving more and providing for less "dead" current areas. I recently upgraded my chiller to a 1/3 HP unit and subsequently needed to rearrange the location of the skimmer pump. I shot this photo after everything was complete and in its permanent location.

T Sandman: Thank you very much for the kind words. I too love the Jasper circle-cutting jig. Aside from having a full CNC router, it can't be beat.

Joseph
Old 04/01/2004, 07:38 AM
Reef Addict

looks great .
Old 04/01/2004, 10:07 AM
Master of the Box Lunch

still looks AMAZING!!!

"Nancy-Boy Extraordinaire"
- maxxII-
Old 04/01/2004, 01:34 PM
Registered Member

I sure wish I lived in CA. I would love to come by and look at you whole set up. However I live across the entire country from you (30 miles from Atlantic) but if I am ever in the area can I stop in? I consider myself a semi-anal rententive perfectionist too. (Thats a compliment btw)
You ever thought about setting up a homepage about your tank?

Jeff
Old 04/01/2004, 04:14 PM
Premium Member

steve68 & Lunchbucket: Thanks.

Jeff: I've had a visitor from Connecticut so there's no excuse for you not to visit. The tank is always available for fellow reefers to view. Just keep in mind that this place was a desert prior to the invasion of modern civilization so it gets extremely hot during the summer months. It's a dry heat though. Not so different from an open flame. Although, semi-anal retentive perfectionists pay an entrance fee while anal retentive perfectionists enter free!
There's a web site in the works. I'm doing it myself so don't expect completion any time in the near future. You can see a sneak preview HERE.

Joseph
Old 10/11/2004, 01:57 AM
Premium Member

Bump, because I needed some info
Old 01/18/2005, 09:56 PM
Registered Member

Bump. Just have to move it up everyone needs to see it again..

Tyler
Old 01/19/2005, 12:31 AM
Engineer

Tyler- Try letting people use the search engine. No need to bump all the time.
We all get an email when you do that, it is annoying to come check the thread to find no new information.

Thanks-

Zeph
Old 01/28/2005, 10:21 AM
10 & Over Club

very nice;
Old 03/08/2006, 11:23 PM
Registered Member

joseph, that truly is a work of art, impeccable craftsmanship....
considering the perfectionist you seem to be (i mean that in a good way)...have you thought of any modifications to improve it??
not that it looks like it needs any, but you obviously strive for the best..and since this thread is rather old, i wondered if it has evolved any....
Old 03/09/2006, 02:51 AM
Premium Member

sgolden: Thanks for the kind words. The skimmer hasn't changed much as it's worked well. I have replaced the stainless steel wing-nuts with nicer looking and easier on the fingers plastic versions from US Plastics. I also replaced the John Guest air inlet valves on the Beckett housings to needle valves for better air-flow control. Other than that, it's all the same as it was from the beginning.

As for future alterations, I may create new flanges that are tapered such as this that a friend and I created for his new counter-current skimmer...

We did this by heating the acrylic in an oven and pressing it into shape with this press/form we made...

Joseph
Old 03/09/2006, 11:58 AM
Ozone Sniffer

Joe,
What temp did you use in the oven?
I used almost the exact same form, 400 degrees, and 3/8" sheet and it didnt seem pliable enough. The plywood started to darken and stink up the place
Thanks!
Chris

"Be sure and wear a speedo lest tangs nest in your britches"
Old 03/09/2006, 12:11 PM
Registered Member

The secret is to use 1/4" or 1/8" material. The 3/8 is just too damn strong.
Old 03/09/2006, 09:25 PM
Registered Member

what volume of water through each beckett injector seems to optimize performance, and how much air?
Old 03/09/2006, 09:32 PM
no time for spell check!

that is some very nice injector housings on that skimmer! i think those are the nicest ones i have seen yet. keep up the good work.
Old 03/09/2006, 10:38 PM
Premium Member

Chris: It's been a while since we did this but I believe we had the oven at 425-degrees. It did take some time to get the 3/8" acrylic pliable and we had to keep placing it back in the oven after several tightenings of the press. It took about five presses to get to the depth we wanted which created close to a 45-degree angle. After this, 1/4" would be a piece of cake. But, for a 8" cylinder and the overall size of this skimmer we built, we felt 3/8" was better suited.

sgolden: I'm running an Iwaki 100 so it's 1000 GPH through each (2) injector. This may be the upper end of the pressure range but pretty much, the more pressure you throw at the injectors, the more and finer bubbles they will produce. I don't have air flow meters on my air inlets so I can't comment on this.

spazz: Thank you very much.

Joseph
Old 03/11/2006, 02:18 PM
Ozone Sniffer

Thanks Joe,
I will try again with more heat. This cone is from an 8x8 square to a 5" hole so there is not much acrylic "meat" to actually stretch, and thus needs to be really pliable, even for the mere 2" I want to stretch it.
Thanks!

"Be sure and wear a speedo lest tangs nest in your britches"
Old 03/12/2006, 10:52 AM
Registered Member

^
Old 02/21/2007, 09:11 PM
Registered Member

bump
Old 02/22/2007, 01:51 PM
Registered Member

I have bent the glass with a jig like that but I had to take it outside to much smoke and fumes, the gas grill with a oven therometer made it much safer. But that is the best DIY skimmer I've ever seen on any site or store !