Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Do It Yourself

Old 01/01/2007, 01:14 PM
Registered Member

thanks rgibson...well it sounds like this mod should work great on a newly acquired mr-2 with the second injector...it came with a gen-x pc-55hp,but i thought that might not be enough pressure for 2 injectors....so this trick should work good for me....
Old 01/02/2007, 01:00 AM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by sgolden
ok guys, im sold on redrilling my beckett, but i wonder ...is there a benefit to a taller downpipe between the injector and the skimmer base? (longer contact time)....and would it help if the downpipe was of a larger diameter? causing less velocity and allowing the bubbles within the downpipe to rise again and again till the bubbles were "heavy "with proteins??
IMO the answer is no and no. Both the too tall injector pipe and the too large of diameter will greatly reduce the effectiveness of your skimmer. It also adds the large burps and in some cases will entirely eliminate the small bubbles from rising in the main larger chamber. You may have to experiment like I did. Lots of wasted plastic and time but it finally works.

AND I think the jury is still out on re-drilling the beckett head, OR if you do re-drill it please set up an accurate base test and share the results with us.
Old 01/02/2007, 07:14 PM
Registered Member

thanks for the input
Old 01/03/2007, 01:41 PM
Registered Member

I've been tagging along with this and it looks great, anyone try it with a dual beckett yet?
Old 01/03/2007, 07:21 PM
Registered Member

im about to....but i want to clean everything up and put valves on each of the injectors.....and run for a few weeks as a baseline...
Old 01/04/2007, 09:57 AM
Registered Member

This is a great thread. I just bought my first tank and skimmer, the tank is a 120 and the skimmer is a 5220 Barr Aquatic dual beckett. Simply, the skimmer seems a bit large, but I'm wondering if this mod will make it seem juuuuust right. I guess I'll have to wait and see. Has anyone using this mod actually been able to scale down from one pump to another as a result?
Old 01/05/2007, 12:27 PM
Premium Member

Ok I've read the entire thread.
This sounds great and I'm going to try with some of my spare becketts.
My question is about hole height.
should they be in a straight ring aroung the beckett at the same height as the top of the stock holes?
Does that make sence?

I'm running a PM bullet XL with a Blueline 70, has anyone done this to the same skimmer.
If so how many holes and what size worked best?

Kedd
Old 01/05/2007, 01:42 PM
Registered Member

You have the hole pattern right,try 22 holes to start with.
Old 01/05/2007, 01:50 PM
Premium Member

Thanks, I'll start there.

Kedd
Old 01/10/2007, 03:32 AM
Registered Member

this may be a stupid question, but does the injector need to be installed vertical ? or will it work horizontal ??
2 green Chromis
2 yellow tail damsels
1 flame angel
1 Scooter blennie
1 cleaner shrimp
1 emerald crab
16 blue hermits
8 turbo snails
Old 01/10/2007, 10:27 AM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by whiteice669
this may be a stupid question, but does the injector need to be installed vertical ? or will it work horizontal ??
Actually it's not a stupid question at all. I had never given that a thought but as you mention it it might be worth testing, that is if your application benefits from it. That might be for space considerations or installation considerations.

The water that tends to pool in the beckett housing might be a concern but it also tends to re-injects itself via the holes in the beckett. This setup would be easy to test, just use a hose on a spare beckett and set it up so you can observe the action.

I'd like to see if this works. Please post some pics if you decide to try it.
Old 01/10/2007, 09:07 PM
Registered Member

I am setting up a 180, and plumbing in a beckett II clone, but it would be way easier if I could install in injector horizontal, but want to make sure it would still work
2 green Chromis
2 yellow tail damsels
1 flame angel
1 Scooter blennie
1 cleaner shrimp
1 emerald crab
16 blue hermits
8 turbo snails
Old 01/10/2007, 09:51 PM
Premium Member

whiteice669
I don't think it will work because of the water pooling at the bottom, which would cover half of the holes.

Does that make sense?
HTH
Old 01/11/2007, 06:55 AM
Registered Member

Whiteice 669 how high up is the beckett on your skimmer?
Old 01/12/2007, 03:10 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by sgolden
im about to....but i want to clean everything up and put valves on each of the injectors.....and run for a few weeks as a baseline...
You bring up a good point. I don't mean to pick on you, but I have some thoughts about the correct way to test the difference between the stock Beckett and Waylander's mod. I should point out that In my hurry to get my skimmer up and running, I failed to test my becket using the method below. I did the unscientific thing of just drilling holes and trying it. It produced more bubbles than I had seen before using other any injection means, which made me very happy and I haven't questioned it since - till now.

The most accurate way to test this, I think, would be to run two identical systems simultaneously. One with the stock Beckett and the other with Waylander's mod. This should be the only difference.

In reality the test should be conducted several times with different pressure rated pumps.

The flaw in running the system for a while to get a baseline first is that the assumption is that nothing changes in your system may be incorrect. Spawning events, different feeding schedules and products, different evap rates, death of something you cant see like a sponge under some live rock somewhere) Coral splitting, macroalgae cycles, varying water change schedules. There are a lot of things that can change from one day to the next that will effect skimate production and bubble generation. The only way to eliminate all these variables is to run the tests at the same time on the same water.

Even if you are running two successive tests, it is difficult not to get your hands and arms in the water when performing the switch between the beckets. The oils from your skin will effect skimmer operational performance which makes it difficult if no impossible to compare the before and after. The results will be skewed.

I realize this is both cost and sometimes space prohibitive, but it would be nice if someone has the resources to do this kind of test to look at results. I don't have the space for two skimmers besides the fact the my skimmer pump is set up very uniquely and can't be duplicated. Nor do I own several pairs of identical pumps.

Anyone care to comment on how to setup the ideal test. Anyone else have enough equipment laying around and the space (and time) to run a test or two?

Just my $0.02
Old 01/12/2007, 04:18 AM
Registered Member

what do you mean how high? overall height? or injector height
2 green Chromis
2 yellow tail damsels
1 flame angel
1 Scooter blennie
1 cleaner shrimp
1 emerald crab
16 blue hermits
8 turbo snails
Old 01/12/2007, 05:42 AM
Registered Member

How high is the beckett from the bottom of the skimmer?
Old 01/13/2007, 03:24 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Keelay
The flaw in running the system for a while to get a baseline first is that the assumption is that nothing changes in your system may be incorrect. Spawning events, different feeding schedules and products, different evap rates, death of something you cant see like a sponge under some live rock somewhere) Coral splitting, macroalgae cycles, varying water change schedules. There are a lot of things that can change from one day to the next that will effect skimate production and bubble generation. The only way to eliminate all these variables is to run the tests at the same time on the same water.

Anyone care to comment on how to setup the ideal test. Anyone else have enough equipment laying around and the space (and time) to run a test or two?

Just my $0.02
Perhaps running multiple series of tests would help cut down on unkown variables. A set time with one, switch and run the same time on another, then switch back and do it over again, possibly multiple times, this might give you better (and more acurate) test results.

-Dave
Old 01/13/2007, 04:07 PM
Premium Member

Can't prove anything since I have no way to test but I moded my 30in Aerofoamer. It is 8in diameter x 10in tall main tube going into a 4in diameter x 10in tall top tube going into the collection cup. It has one beckett driven by an Iwaki MD 55 RLT. I drilled approximatly 20, 1/16th holes. I couldn't get any skimmate unless I ran the water level up to about 2 in from the top.

Now I get lots of dark skimmate running water level about 6 in from the top.

Does this make any sense?
Old 01/13/2007, 06:40 PM
Registered Member

gary faulkner did you fill in the four holes that were in the beckett?
Old 01/13/2007, 08:01 PM
Premium Member

Oh yea, and its 34 holes, not 20.

I just counted them again, when I cleaned the injector.

Like I said, I can't prove anything but without this mod, I got very little skimmate.

Thanks Waylander for the great Idea.

Might not work as well with a smaller or weaker pump, but with my set-up, it really rocks.
Old 01/13/2007, 11:19 PM
Registered Member

there is 4 inch's between my base and the bottom of the injector
2 green Chromis
2 yellow tail damsels
1 flame angel
1 Scooter blennie
1 cleaner shrimp
1 emerald crab
16 blue hermits
8 turbo snails
Old 01/14/2007, 12:21 AM
Premium Member

4ft 8 inch dia running single beckett on Panworld 150ps with mini hole mods plus one of my own. after body cone reduces back pressure stagnation on the back of the ball (in theory). should improve suction.
Picture is with 12 3/32" holes. I added another 10 3/64" holes since then. running one week now.

Old 01/14/2007, 08:24 AM
Registered Member

salt lick if you had a Dwyer air gage you could tell how much more air your beckett is pulling in.On my beckett skimmer i get 26 SCFH of air in put.I think you have a good idea about the cone could you tell how you built it.
Old 01/14/2007, 02:50 PM
Ozone Sniffer

So what are you all using to plug the holes? Looks like thickened epoxy?

Great idea salt lick!

"Be sure and wear a speedo lest tangs nest in your britches"