Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Do It Yourself

Old 01/06/2008, 05:50 PM
Registered Member

DIY Kalk reactor

Does anyone have a link to a good one?? I want to build one, and need some good ideas

THX,
NICK
Old 01/06/2008, 06:59 PM
Wife and dog.

I dont have one but ran across this awhile ago. Looks like a good design, but I think I would move the output to the top of the lid maybe the air bleed to the top also.

Always accepting frags!!
Old 01/06/2008, 07:08 PM
Registered Member

i made mine very similar to that but used acrylic tubing instead of clear pvc because it's much cheaper. mine is more live this one
http://www.mv.com/users/besposito/nilsen.html

I used 1/4" john guest fittings. input on the bottom outlet on top. i also put a vent on the top of the screw cap to bleed the air out and a ball valve on the outlet and on the vent hose
Old 01/06/2008, 08:07 PM
Registered Member

I built mine like this but its 4' tall 4"pvc. I use a mag 5 for a mixing pump. I use 3/8" jg fittings for water intake and a 3/4" pvc pipe for water out.
Old 01/06/2008, 11:39 PM
Registered Member

Cool thanks Guy's thats exactly what I was looking for.

THX,
NICK
Old 01/06/2008, 11:41 PM
Team RC Member

I was lazy: dumped kalk in a tub of ro/di, put my topoff pump in it, supported on an eggcrate shelf, jammed the lid on, and so far so good. Calcium, alk, and ph all fine.

"Make haste slowly." ---Augustus.

"If anything CAN go wrong, it will, and at the worst possible moment."---St. Murphy.
Old 01/07/2008, 11:20 AM
Registered Member

Lime water on the cheap.

1. Get a five gallon bucket, an old salt bucket is fine, and cut a 1 inch hole in the lid for the plug. About 1 inch from the top of the bucket drill two more holes staggered high and low so 1/4 in flex tubing is snug. The input is high, and the output is low. This way the water flows in the high and gravity feeds into the sump out the low hole after it has been mixed.
2. Then cut a piece of 1.25 to 1.5 inch pvc tube that will jam in the bucket about 1/3 from the bottom. Drill a 3/4 inch hole through the center of the 1.25 to 1.5 inch pvc so that a 1/2 pvc tube will fit snuggly through it. This will make an upside down lower case “t” with the 1/2 pvc suspended about 1 inch from the bottom.
3. Find a pump where the output will fit into the 1/2 PVC on the top, and cut the 1/2 inch to length so that the pump remains in the water during operation.

The reservoir is large enough to last for 2 weeks with a steady output of 800ppm Ca settled, 1200ppm Ca stirring. Or with vinegar in the top off water 1200ppm settled and 1600ppm stirring. All this is dependant on pump size and lime solids added. I watch my tank’s alkalinity, when it hit 9KH I add a few more tablespoons of lime and I am good for a few more weeks.

This “t” setup creates a turbulent flow in the bucket and mimics the proven designs of the sealed reactors like the one shown. Laminar flow (circular) should be avoided as when you just place the pump at the bottom of the bucket. This will suspend too many lime solids causing pH issues unless you use a really small pump.

Some say this will create some waste as it does not prevent CO2 from getting it the system. As a result some fine particles of Calcium Carbonate will be created and mixed in and delivered into the tank after about the first week which adds even more calcium just in a different form. This is not a bad thing, since there are a few products on the market that actually charge you for that.
Old 01/07/2008, 01:34 PM
Registered Member

I put 6 gallons of water in one of those blue water storage containers you can get at WalMart... add 6 tsp or so of lime, 6 gallons of water and stir. This lasts me about a week and I figure I am messing with the tank enough that adding this chore really isn't a big deal.
Old 01/08/2008, 12:52 AM
Registered Member

Thanks everyone, you have given me some really great ideas to build on.