Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Special Interest Group (SIG) Forums > Large Reef Tanks
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01/04/2008, 07:16 AM
Registered Member

Aquascaping My New 250 G Tank

THIS IS MY NEW 15MM 250G TANK/
I THINK I READ ALL THE THREADS ABOUT THE CONCEPT OF AQUASCAPING IN MARINE TANKS AND REEF TANKS.
I DID A LOT OF STUDY AND THIS THE FINAL RESULT:

WHAT DO YOU THINK ABOUT IT.
I KNOW IT LOOKS UNSTABLE BUT IN REALITY THE ROCKS ARE PILLED ON A LARGE BASES.
Old 01/04/2008, 07:51 AM
Registered Member

looks sweet. It would really be no fun for you if they did tip. Maybe just make sure you use some aquascaping putty or something to hold them for sure.
Old 01/04/2008, 12:37 PM
Wife and dog.

also the pile on the left might become or will become a deitrus trap and have poor water movement over there on that side. Just a thought

Always accepting frags!!
Old 01/04/2008, 01:02 PM
Be the valve.

I like the tower concept you have going but agree that the pile on the left might become problematic in the long run. I watched closely as Sanjay built rock structures and modified his designs to fit material availability in my area. These structures are made using fiberglass rods and fast set West System epoxy. They really are stable and allow good water movement around them. Something to consider.
You're off to a good start.
Del

My first attempts. Excuse the cloudy water.

I got a little more creative and elaborate on later attempts.

Old 01/04/2008, 01:08 PM
Team RC Member

It's just an aesthetic comment, but I would orient all the pieces more or less correctly (as they are in the pictures in the previous post). Some of the upside down ones just look out of place to me. I'm sure it will look great however you decide to do it, just my opinion.
Old 01/04/2008, 02:22 PM
Premium Member

Aqua-scaping is art that has to serve several purposes. It must be stable, practical, and look good. I think your design really does look good, but I would suggest that you lower the towers a little and give you corals some room to grow, and add some rods, zip ties or both the steady the structures. I think you’re on the right track though and I think a good aqua-scaping often takes several attempts to get right.
Old 01/04/2008, 03:37 PM

your goal should be to make all rocks look uniformed into one on that focal point. also, think about the future and what is the purpose of that structure and for what type of coral. once you know what corals will go where, think about the lighting this coral needs and if that structure is positioned properly for high/low light. to me, this aquascape would be great for tabling acros since its very high.
Old 01/05/2008, 02:14 AM
Registered Member

THE AQUARIUM IS FOR FISH ONLY ÒIN THE FUTURE IT MIGHT BE REEF AQUARIUM AND THEN THE WHOLE AQUASCAPING WIL BE CHANGED.
Old 01/05/2008, 02:26 AM
Registered Member

i would say the stack on hte left although nice and covers teh over flow its too close to the glass and you will want ot be able to clean it sam with the smaller stack on the right, generally its better not to stack against or close to the glass
Old 01/05/2008, 02:54 AM
Reef Ready

I agree with Nismo. I keep all my rock off the side glasses so that I can clean them. I used pvc rods and gorilla glue to keep the rocks stable. I don't have sand, so the last thing I want is a rock slide.