Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Coral Forums > Soft Coral Keepers

Old 12/18/2007, 07:38 AM
Team RC Member

Flow in a 240 softy tank

Hi folks,

At the moment the flow in my tank consists of two tunze stream 6060's and a Red Dragon 6500 return (which gives me about 1000-1100 gals/hr)......

I intended the following scheme:
Red Dragon - aim half the flow behind the rock work, and the other half pointing into the centre of the tank.
Tunze Streams - they are not controllable, but it is ok to switch them on/off once an hour - so I was going to position them one in the middle of each end panel of the tank, pointing to the centre, and put them on simple timers, switching on/off every hour with half an hour over lap i.e. so I get flow from the left only for half an hour, then flow from both sides (oposing flow) for half a hour, then flow from the right only, then oposing flow, then left only..... and so on....

Is this flow adequate for a softy tank?

My tank includes an emporer angel, so the choice of corals will be limited to sacrophyton, Sinularia, star polyps etc.....

Your thoughts would be much appreciated.

Regards,

Matt

Matt
Old 12/18/2007, 01:05 PM
Registered Member

30-50 times is what I tell people and shoot for....
Old 12/18/2007, 01:43 PM
Registered Member

As long as there is visible flow throughout the entire tank with few or no "dead spots", and the flow is variable (not laminar), it should be OK. IMO 20x-30x total flow per hour is a good number. 50x seems "high" to me, especially if you have a sand bed. I have about 3000 gal/hr total flow in my 120, and if I boost it any more I get a sandstorm.

If you're interested in spending more money (aren't we all?) I have VorTech propeller pump, and it's truly awesome. I'm running it at about 2/3 speed and it moves lots of water all through the tank. Highly recommended.

Dan
Old 12/18/2007, 02:14 PM
Team RC Member

Well I reckon with the return pump and the two streams I'll have about 20 times, on average.....

Matt
Old 12/19/2007, 10:35 AM
Registered Member

you could say 30x if your tank is empty...and increasing to 50x when your tank fills with corals. Or close to fifty, as long as the powerheads are correctly positioned it should be fine
Old 12/20/2007, 03:08 PM
Registered Member

IMO 50 times in a softy tank is to much- to much flow can damage their flesh and cause them not to fully open. I have 20x an hour in my tank for over a 1 1/2 years and everything is doing great- hope this helps.
Old 12/22/2007, 04:41 PM
Team RC Member

I suppose its a matter of opinion so really

Thanks for the input guys.

Matt

Matt
Old 12/26/2007, 08:36 PM
Premium Member

that's a lot
Old 12/26/2007, 10:00 PM
Registered Member

30x is good for the sps stanks, 50x is definitely too much for softies. I agree with DanInSD. As long as the softies are doing well there is no need for more. I have about 10x in my softie tank and they are mulitplying well. Actually, more than that I am afraid my zoa's will be blown away.
Old 12/27/2007, 12:08 PM
Registered Member

I'm currently setting up a softie dominated 240gallon also. Mine is 60"x36"x24". I was thinking of getting a vortech powerhead, but am worried that it would be too strong flow for softies?
Old 12/27/2007, 04:04 PM
Registered Member

I can't say enough good things about the VorTech. I mean, it's pricy, but aside from that... Actually, depending on the program that you use, it makes a vavering whirring sound that some might find distracting.

In my 120, my VorTech is cranked up about 3/4 way. Nothing is in the direct path of the water flow within a foot of the pump. I've got a leather that is about three inches outside of the main flow, about a foot away, and it's great. I've got GSP's in the line of fire about 18 inches away, and they're happy. The flow diffuses very quickly as you get away from the pump.

The most amazing thing is the back flow. You get a cylinder effect where the center is going one way and the edges are going another. You will need to keep this pump pretty close to the surface -- at least a foot off of the sand bed -- unless you want all of your sand piled under the pump. The suction is pretty strong.

Long story short, this is a wonderful pump, and if it was me, in a 240, I'd have two of them and get true turbulent flow throughout the tank.

Dan
Old 12/27/2007, 04:07 PM
Registered Member

Oh, if you're worried about flow for softies, don't. I posted a YouTube clip I took on a reef in Indonesia. There was one heck of a current, and softies everywhere.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cxpoO0MnQuw
Old 12/28/2007, 11:36 AM
Team RC Member

thanks guys - I suppose really its a case of more flow is better, but not 100% essential.

cheers,

Matt

Matt
Old 12/28/2007, 12:12 PM
Registered Member

Well, right now i have a 54 Corner and i have a modded tunze 620 (modded to push about 1000gph), SEIO 820 (820gph), and my return pushes about 400gph. overall about 2300gph or about 45x i would say.. is this too much because my torch, frogspawn, and not being blown apart.. then again my xenia stopped expanding. So im gonna say that it really depends on the coral i guess..
Old 01/02/2008, 11:08 AM
Registered Member

Not all corals like strong flow. For example Yuma will not survive in strong current.