Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Feedback and Questions
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12/23/2007, 08:36 PM
Registered Member

Photo posting

I cant manage to get any images smaller then 90kb of my tank, And therefore I cant post photos that arent big blurs. Is there anyway to get these photos smaller without reducing the quality of the picture or the pic being 1/4 inch by 1/4 inch. Im using a Minolta DiMAGE S304 3.3 megapixel.
Old 12/23/2007, 08:46 PM
yes it's my aquarium

to crop and/or resize photos I use the free online service called

www.irfanview.com

after editing the pix post your photos to an online picture hosting site (such as Photobucket) and paste the link to them in your post on RC.
Old 12/23/2007, 08:49 PM
RC Admin

You can host your photo's at full size on many free services and link them here. Photobucket is one example.
You likely want to size them down a bit so people on slower internet don't have to wait forever, but, you can put your full 3.3 megapixel pics on photobucket, google images, yahoo...etc. and just use our [ img] tags to link the pictures in here.

Check this thread for more details:
http://archive.reefcentral.com/forum...hreadid=333197

"So, Mike was right." - MalHavoc
Old 12/23/2007, 09:42 PM
Registered Member

So I download this irfanview and the use it to size down the photos and then save them as IMG format so i can put then on here? Im not very computer literate, only certain things
Old 12/23/2007, 09:48 PM
yes it's my aquarium

LOL!
Trust me- I'm the same way. I'm not going to deny it- it took me a couple of weeks to learn how to do this.
After you download irfanview and use it to edit your pix you'll need to post those pictures to an online hosting service or to your RC photo gallery.
After that you can have the picture appear in your thread by copying and pasting a link to it's url (web address).
Old 12/24/2007, 11:46 PM
TRC Leader

Save your photos as a .JPG type file. The IMG is a tag used to post your pictures here on RC.

Here is a link on how to do some of what your trying to do, it even shows how to use your photo gallery here on RC. it's very easy once you read thru it.
Resizing photos

-Ken

MASLAC member
Old 12/25/2007, 08:09 PM
Registered Member

I just used photobucket and put the link up. Thanks tho I saw that page myself but like I was telling Gary I am not comp literate.
Old 12/29/2007, 04:20 PM
Registered Member

I have always had trouble trying to post pictures on this site. Thanks for the info