Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > More Forums > Reef Club Forums > West Region-Reef Club Forums > Southern California Reefers
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12/23/2007, 12:18 PM
Brother Maynard

auction: sps eating crab! starting bid at $350.00

if you want a crab that happily munches on your sps, hides like a ninja during the day and is so smart that it positions itself among the rock work at night as it chows down on everything, esp your sps...then you NEED this crab.

please note though that he is a little shy and likes to come out at around 1-2 am. he will also bolt back into the rock work at the slightest hint of light from things like a flashlight or room light you turn on to enjoy such a prize specimen.

i will personally vouch for its hardiness from the amazing growth it has sustained from the months i have had him hiding in the rock work while it ate everything! when i first noticed him, he was probably the size of a nickel...now he is easily 1.5x2.5 inches. see what a healthy diet of sps does for a prize specimen? nothing but the best for my crab!!!

you will be boasting to your friends on the toughest shell i have ever encountered. it has withstood countless attempts of piercing that started with wooden skewers to sharpened thick stainless steel shish ka bob rods. it is amazing how these utensils just bounce off its shell! i have even pinned it down one time onto the sand bed and pressed with all my might in a playful attempt to crush its shell...but surprisingly, he came through unscathed!

you will also be the proud owner of the most intelligent crab i have ever seen. any attempt to spear it (playfully of course), net it, shine a light on it...anything, and it will saunter back into its rock cave home! this is especially frustrating as having such a bright crab, you would want to teach it to do tricks, complex vocabulary and grammar and if you have THE ONE, can do your corporate taxes!

the reason i am selling him at such a low price is that i feel that i am not providing him an environment where he is truly utilizing his gifts. i am worried that he is languishing in a sea of mediocrity. he needs a more conducive nurturing caretaker with much larger sps' than i can ever provide.

i consider it a bargain at whatever ending price will be for such a rare and unique specimen! he is much more than a pet to me...he has become a friend.

bidding will end today at noon! silent auction via pm only!

please note the below picture is a copyrighted image. there is a secret hidden watermark embedded. any attempt to copy and repost will result in a computer virus that crashes your computer. this is done to ensure that no one gets to falsely claim they possess such a rare and spectacular crab!

good luck bidding!

Ben.
Old 12/23/2007, 12:52 PM
Registered Member

lol
Old 12/23/2007, 01:25 PM
Registered Member

Boy, Wish I had 350$!!!

Actually, - that was hilarious -thanks for the laugh!
Old 12/23/2007, 01:28 PM
Registered Member

If one would bid on this fine specimen, whould the bidders tank have to be primeraly sps to sustian the life of this Crab. Does it eat only run of the mill sps or does it feast on high end sps? Would you classify this crab as "LE"? Good luck with your private auction and to whomever claims this beauty.

"Get Busy Living Or Get Busy Dying"

"Were discussing man,...you have your wrong opinion i have my right one. Its called communication." Mac Inger
Old 12/23/2007, 02:12 PM
Premium Member

How's he do with LPS's? Will he get along with my starfish?
Old 12/23/2007, 03:11 PM
Crawfish Eating Reefer

So how did you get him out?

good job and congrats.
Old 12/23/2007, 03:25 PM
Registered Member

Congrats on finally capturing that guy!
Old 12/23/2007, 04:48 PM
Brother Maynard

it took me probably close to a year to catch him. i would randomly wake up at night...look around the tank with a flashlight for him...i would see him sitting there casually munching on my sps' without a care in the world.

in fits of rage...i get whatever utensil i had close at hand and try and smash and kill the bugger...chopstick, metal skewer, kent scraper with steel blade...syringes of sodium cyanide...wait, didnt have the last one.

everything bounced off him and then he would casually saunter back into the rock work.

i saw him last night right beside the side glass. no rock work in the way. i did my usual crazy frantic yelling at the top of my lungs at 2 am trying to catch the bugger...but this time...I GOT HIM!!! personally, i am in disbelief i was able to catch him. he has eluded me so many times. i got my net out and SCOOP, i got him on the first try. i have been in this situation before and missed him with the net...only to have him creep back into the rock work. 'that' was infuriating every time that happened!

luckily, his fav coral to chow down on was (i love saying that...'was') my pavona. it is fast growing and heals nicely when chewed on.

he did munch on my purple bonsai once and sometime on my green slimer...all you see are bare tips here and there. very frustrating.

Ben.
Old 12/23/2007, 05:00 PM
Registered Member

Got one of them little guys outta my nano a few years back and he was definately the "LE" model. Have a bunch of Tyree frags available for this little guy....
Old 12/23/2007, 05:28 PM
Brother Maynard

Quote:
Originally posted by dantwenty2
Got one of them little guys outta my nano a few years back and he was definately the "LE" model. Have a bunch of Tyree frags available for this little guy....
man,

i am up for those tyree frags in exchange of my uber cool crab!!!

i am not greedy...just 5 of tyree's rarest frags...how rare? i want the ones he doesnt even know he has yet...let alone named!!!

Ben.
Old 12/23/2007, 05:39 PM
It's Domo-kun

That's a big bugger! He must be getting old for you to have caught him so easily.
Old 12/23/2007, 05:44 PM
Nothing original for now

Try and find someone local who has a large clown Trigger. That's what he was looking for probably, they have a very unique symbiosis that would be worth recording to share with all
Old 12/23/2007, 06:00 PM
Registered Member

show him who da man and cook that little bastard.... might taste good with some butter
Old 12/23/2007, 10:24 PM
Brother Maynard

Quote:
Originally posted by Puffalicious
show him who da man and cook that little bastard.... might taste good with some butter
actually,

i have no idea what to do with him.

if anyone wants to take him off my hands...be my guest!

he is trapped in a tupperware with holes right now in my 110g refugium.

let me know very soon!

Ben.
Old 12/23/2007, 11:54 PM
It's Domo-kun

Just leave him in the fuge. Can't do much harm in there, right?
Old 12/24/2007, 12:38 AM
Moderator Clone

Find someone with a trigger.

Kevin

UCLA: 100
Stanford: 94
Southern California: 84
Oklahoma State: 48
Arkansas: 43
LSU: 40

Go PAC 10!
Old 12/24/2007, 01:09 AM
Registered Member

use your imagination.
Old 12/24/2007, 01:54 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Anemone
Find someone with a trigger.
Or just bust him up yourself and put him back in the tank, the parts won't last long. My Threadfin loves cracked crab!

The only thing I've in my tank for like 2 years now are acro frags and I still get the ocassional crab pop up. I'd love to know where they come from...
Old 12/24/2007, 02:00 AM
Registered Member

that thing looks like its built like a tank, it must have a very hard shell from the way he looks...
Old 12/24/2007, 02:46 AM
Registered Member

i'm looking for something to battle with SPS growing like weed.
omg i missed the auction!!!!!
Old 12/24/2007, 12:03 PM
RC Mod

Looks like one of the Shame Faced Crabs. In a tank set up for them, they become quite the pet. Scurrying around the tank, jumping off rocks during feeding time, etc. Takes awhile before they overcome the nocturnal habits, but in the right environment they will ;>)

fwiw: I have had them catch fish, mid water, quite a sight actually.
Old 12/24/2007, 12:53 PM
Devil in the fur

my queen trigger would love him! too bad your in OC
Old 12/24/2007, 01:09 PM
Registered Member

drop him in a tank with a large mantis or octopus and enjoy.
Old 01/04/2008, 02:14 AM
Registered Member

What'd you end up doing with him? This is by far the funniest post I've read on this website. Kudos.
Old 01/04/2008, 12:48 PM

Awhile back, there is a Mod (can't remember who) in the invertebrate forum who's looking for "crab donations" for display in a museum or something. The only drawback is you pay for the postage, but hey - you're helping Science