Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Lighting, Filtration & Other Equipment
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11/25/2007, 09:26 PM
Registered Member

Bullet proof calcium deposits

I was looking at my tank the other day. The one I'd just finish drilling and filling when I noticed a white film on the inside of the glass. I thought "no problem" and grabbed a razor blade but it had no effect.

The only thing in the tank was live rock so I drained the tank and removed the rock. I then took some vinegar to what I believe to be some type of calcium deposit but to no avail. You can see where the vinegar lightened it a bit but this stuff is going to take something a lot stronger.

Any suggestions? Something that won't eat the flesh off my bones or leave a toxic residue would be preferred.
Old 11/25/2007, 10:04 PM
Registered Member

Lightbulb Cleaning agent

Muriatic acid (use diluted 1st to see if it removes the calcium deposits before trying full strength) - be VERY careful, use eye protection, quality Hvy duty rubber gloves, well ventilated area and old clothes. Flush area well afterwards - since muriatic is an Acid, you can neutralize it with baking soda paste after cleaning the area and washing it well before putting the tank back into service.
Old 11/25/2007, 10:44 PM
Premium Member

I use Deltec E-Z clean solution. IMO, it work much better than Vinegar just a little pricey.. 19.99 for a small contain which you can mix 5g of water.
Old 11/25/2007, 11:11 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by 918ReefCpl
Muriatic acid (use diluted 1st to see if it removes the calcium deposits before trying full strength) - be VERY careful, use eye protection, quality Hvy duty rubber gloves, well ventilated area and old clothes. Flush area well afterwards - since muriatic is an Acid, you can neutralize it with baking soda paste after cleaning the area and washing it well before putting the tank back into service.
That is strong stuff, but that's probably what it's going to take. Do you know if it would harm the silicone in the seams?
Quote:
Originally posted by Jar*Head
I use Deltec E-Z clean solution. IMO, it work much better than Vinegar just a little pricey.. 19.99 for a small contain which you can mix 5g of water.
Do you know what the active ingredient is?

Thanks for the responses guys.
Old 11/25/2007, 11:16 PM
Registered Member

When you apply the muriatic acid, use a sponge and dab it on...you can make up a paste of baking soda and apply it like toothpaste to the silicone if you think your going to get close to it and that will neutralize the acid. Try diluted acid 1st before you try full strength and apply it to an area away from the silicon till you see how it reacts with the deposits.
Old 11/25/2007, 11:22 PM
Premium Member

Here is the link
http://www.deltecusa.us/aquariummedia/ezeclean.php
Old 11/25/2007, 11:25 PM
Premium Member

I mix 5g of tap water with i container of E-Z clean for my BK and here is what is look like after 1hr. All coraline come off without any scrubbing or crabbing.

stuff came off from the injection plate
Old 11/26/2007, 02:10 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by 918ReefCpl
When you apply the muriatic acid, use a sponge and dab it on...you can make up a paste of baking soda and apply it like toothpaste to the silicone if you think your going to get close to it and that will neutralize the acid. Try diluted acid 1st before you try full strength and apply it to an area away from the silicon till you see how it reacts with the deposits.

That's brilliant! Thanks for your help. I'll let you know how it goes.
Old 11/26/2007, 02:12 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Jar*Head
I mix 5g of tap water with i container of E-Z clean for my BK and here is what is look like after 1hr. All coraline come off without any scrubbing or crabbing.

stuff came off from the injection plate

Thanks JarHead! That looks like just what I need to run through the ol' Euroreef.

Last edited by the_real_brian; 11/26/2007 at 02:30 AM.
Old 11/26/2007, 01:49 PM
Registered Member

Bullet proof, and muriatic acid proof. I'll post some pics tonight after I cut them down.

It looks like I'm going to have to buy another tank, but not until after I write Oceanic and find out if they've ever come across anything like this. This is my 5th tank and I never have.
Old 11/26/2007, 09:22 PM
Registered Member

***?

I used at least a half cup of muriatic acid and it didn't dent this stuff. It's an Oceanic 30 cube. I'm almost afraid to get another one until I find out what caused this.
Old 12/02/2007, 08:49 PM
Registered Member

I have an OLD 75 Gallon AGA and it has what appears to be the same thing....I was going to try the Muriatic Acid fix next weekend....hopefully it will work on mine....If not I'm going to get some very fine compound and see if I can polish the glass....

Hopefully the muriatic will work....did you try the EzeClean? Might beat the price of a new tank....
Old 12/04/2007, 07:34 PM
Registered Member

Update....did you have any luck??? I really need to get my 75 clean, but haven't started working on it yet....
Old 12/04/2007, 11:15 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by MitchReef
Update....did you have any luck??? I really need to get my 75 clean, but haven't started working on it yet....
I took a rag with straight muriatic acid to the deposits and....nothing.

I thought about filling my tank with water and mixing some acid in and letting it set but I'm afraid of what the acid would do to my bulkhead gaskets and silicone seams. That and I can't imagine it working after the straight acid application failed to do ANYTHING.

Maybe the EzeClean has another ingredient in it besides acid that would do the trick. I suppose it's worth a try.

Last edited by the_real_brian; 12/04/2007 at 11:56 PM.
Old 12/05/2007, 11:40 AM
Registered Member

This is a drag....Mine isn't near as bad as yours, but is still ugly....I cannot afford another tank, and really want to set up a bigger system...I think I might talk with some glass people and see if there is a polishing compound that can be considered...
Old 12/05/2007, 04:24 PM
Registered Member

Good idea. Please let me know what you find out.
Old 12/05/2007, 04:33 PM
Registered Member

That looks like something that happens to glasses in the dish washer that I think is called "etching". You can feel that the glass isnt as smooth where the white film is. Now I dont know exactly what causes it or what it is or how to get rid of it, other than using Jet Dry in the dishwasher helps prevent it.

So what good is my input? probably no good at all other than maybe doing a google search for glassware etching. If it is the same as "etching" maybe there is some info on if and how it can be removed.
Old 12/05/2007, 04:39 PM
Premium Member

It could be dried biofilm. It's very difficult to remove when dry. Try filling the tank with water and let it sit for about 48 hours, then take a razor blade to it.
Old 12/05/2007, 05:13 PM
Huge Member

Steel wool should take it off the glass no problem

See, that's the trouble with the world today. Not enough danger to kill off stupid people before they get old enough to breed. Bring back lawn darts! -PrivateJoker64
Old 12/05/2007, 09:16 PM
Registered Member

Will the steel wool scratch the glass? How about leaving behind micro chunks of steel that will turn into rust? Not trying to kill the idea, just doing a bit of devil's advocating....
Old 12/05/2007, 09:42 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by tacocat
It could be dried biofilm. It's very difficult to remove when dry. Try filling the tank with water and let it sit for about 48 hours, then take a razor blade to it.

The razor blade had no effect. That's when I knew I was in trouble.
Old 12/06/2007, 05:29 PM
Registered Member

double post
Old 12/06/2007, 05:29 PM
Registered Member

That calcium deposit is extremely hard to get off of glass. Try the idea and soak the entire tank in hot water and vinegar (not muriatic acid) for a couple of days. Vinegar isn't strong eneough to do any harm to the rubber/silicon. Use your razor blade again to scrape it off afterward. My skimmer was coated with a film like that and I had to soak it for over two days to it off. It slid off after the soaking and it felt like a really thin plastic bag.
Old 12/06/2007, 08:37 PM
Registered Member

Outstanding idea...I just tried steel wool.....bupkus....nothing....I tried it dry, wet with water and wet with vinegar....noting....I will try the water and vinegar soak this weekend if I have the time to work on it....how do I get a 75 gallon tank full of hot water? How hot does it need to be???? 50/50 vinegar / water?
Old 12/06/2007, 08:43 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by chris4869
That calcium deposit is extremely hard to get off of glass. Try the idea and soak the entire tank in hot water and vinegar (not muriatic acid) for a couple of days. Vinegar isn't strong eneough to do any harm to the rubber/silicon. Use your razor blade again to scrape it off afterward. My skimmer was coated with a film like that and I had to soak it for over two days to it off. It slid off after the soaking and it felt like a really thin plastic bag.
thats what i do to all my tanks when getting back into service.
i usually leave them sit a week.