Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > More Forums > Reef Club Forums > MidWest Region-Reef Club Forums > Wisconsin - Fox Valley Reefers Club (FVRC)
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01/07/2008, 10:04 AM
Registered Member

new guy needs LR

Hello!

I've been in freshwater for a while - including some great planted tank experience - and have some previous experience maintaining (not owning) saltwater/reef tanks. I'm just starting a 10-g nano reef, and am looking for about 10lbs of live rock.

At that size, I don't want to mess with an online purchase. I've seen the LFS selection, and I'm looking for prettier stuff (the tank is in my office so lots of people see it).

Anyone have some they could part out? I'd be willing to go about 60 miles from Oshkosh. Not looking for free (but wouldn't turn it down - state your price.

Also as a sort of "trade" - I'm a chemist and have access to some pretty slick equipment - I could do some future testing in return for the rock as well.

Kevin
Old 01/07/2008, 12:47 PM
:::===( @ | }

[welcome]

sorry, don't have any rock, but welcome to the club, we could always use a chemist onboard!

macro rocks has some nice looking pieces, but they are dead, but cheap.
Old 01/07/2008, 12:58 PM
Registered Member

If you are looking for really nice looking rock, you are in for a challenge around here. Not a great selection in store. If you don't find someone with extra for sale, maybe you can tag on to someone else's order or something.

So have you used your chemistry background to test any of your FW ever?
Old 01/07/2008, 05:35 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by siropa
If you are looking for really nice looking rock, you are in for a challenge around here. Not a great selection in store. If you don't find someone with extra for sale, maybe you can tag on to someone else's order or something.

So have you used your chemistry background to test any of your FW ever?
Yep, everyone keep me in mind - if you are ordering soon. I've got an itch to get this thing started . . .

Yes, I've tested my freshwater in lots of ways. I started a new teaching job this fall at UWO. A few years ago I published an article on the effect of protein skimmers on metal ions (they remove some - like Ca and Sr more efficiently than others) with samples from the South Carolina Aquarium. Had a large group of students testing various bottled waters and Oshkosh tap water this fall for various things (nothing nasty - just the usual suspects).

Lots of neat testing toys here - for water there is AA and GFAAS to measure metals to low ppm (AA) and low ppb (GFAAS) levels. Also a full spectrum of Hach kits (better than home kits, but not as good as the instruments). Good spectrometers for colorimetric tests, ion-selective electrodes, pH meters, and of course good titration equipment.

That's all why I'm going to take on the challenge of a nano reef - I think I have a good background for keeping up with it. I also did really well with my planted tank in Charleston, SC - lots of store credit for plant trade-ins. It's not up to spec yet, but I've changed it over to a planted Mbuna tank (since we have "liquid rock" here).
Old 01/07/2008, 05:49 PM
Registered Member

I think you are going to have to host a meet at your lab and do some testing

welcome to the club.
Old 01/07/2008, 08:23 PM
Brighter the better

i live about 1/2 hour from osckosh just off the highway in kaukauna. i could spare 10#or so for $2 per pound and my figi is over 4 years old(good stuff). the rock i have is in my sump and has ben ther for 5months now i think(since my 125 has ben up)
Old 01/07/2008, 09:28 PM
Brighter the better

call me after 4, i should be outof work by them. 915 4975.
oh yea
welcome to the club!!!!!!!!
Old 01/07/2008, 11:20 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by siropa
I think you are going to have to host a meet at your lab and do some testing

welcome to the club.
I could look into that . . . We could test everyones test kits and water samples . . . Have to see about rules and regs too.

Let's see: Ca, Mg, Sr?, NO3-, alkalinity?, phosphate

I don't think I have a good iodine test . . .

Other suggestions?

Getting my LR tomorrow! Yea! Thanks CC!
Old 01/07/2008, 11:25 PM
Registered Member

I was 1/2 joking, but i'm sure you'd get some takers if you could arrange that. the biggies that i'd love some confirmation on would be Ca, Mg, No3 and phos. Anything beyond those would be gravy. I've always had my doubts and concerns about test kits on these. Getting a higher grade of testing on them on the same samples I could do my own tests would be very insightful.
Old 01/09/2008, 04:55 PM
Premium Member

How long do you have to wait? Not sure how long it will take me, but will be selling off about 300 lbs of rock soon. Most is too big for a nano, but are some small pieces.
Old 01/10/2008, 09:48 AM
Registered Member

Got 8lbs of LR on Tuesday night from Dave. It's in the tank and looking nice (along with a green mushroom frag - couldn't resist). I'm going to watch for a while now (alk, Ca, NH3, etc) and look for bad algae - then I'll put a couple of snails in as a cleanup crew.

Question: Should I do anything for the green mushroom (feeding-wise) since the tank is so new?

Kevin
Old 01/10/2008, 08:32 PM
Brighter the better

you shouldnt need to feed them they pull what they need out of the water which in not much. thats y they are perfect first coral. easy care