Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Lighting, Filtration & Other Equipment
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11/27/2007, 06:10 PM
Registered Member

closed loop without bulkhead

Just wondering is it possible. My tank is drilled for a drain and return but not for a closed loop. I thought if I could feed the pump directly or even submerse it in the sump and run the return up and over the back it would work. I know the drain would keep up with two pumps. Just looking for ideas or suggestions. I saw a similar setup on melevs but I would prefer to have the supply external or come from the sump in order to eliminate another pipe in the display. Any ideas??
Old 11/27/2007, 06:18 PM
Registered Member

If its not drilled I dont see any other method than the over the top system.
Old 11/27/2007, 06:54 PM
Registered Member

What I am saying is, could it be possible to have the pump or a pipe submerged in the sump for the intake and go up and over the back for the return. I know the water level in the sump would not change that much and the display drain would keep up with having two pumps in the sump. Is it possible? Any ideas??
Old 11/27/2007, 07:45 PM
Registered Member

that's not a closed loop - more like another return pump.
Old 11/27/2007, 07:47 PM
Reefaholic

Quote:
Originally posted by frags75
What I am saying is, could it be possible to have the pump or a pipe submerged in the sump for the intake and go up and over the back for the return. I know the water level in the sump would not change that much and the display drain would keep up with having two pumps in the sump. Is it possible? Any ideas??
I suppose that would work, IF your overflows can handle the extra output. Its like having 2 return pumps. If you're willing to spend extra money for circulation and your overflows can handle it, why not just get a larger return pump, then tee it off to 2 separate outputs. Flow wise, there probably won't be much difference and its less equipment to deal with.

Another idea is like what mg426 said. My friend ran a Mag pump externally that he hung right on the top/back of his tank. The intake went over the back of the tank, into the pump, then directly back into the tank next to where the intake was. Simple, compact, yet effective. To prime the pump he just dunked the entire thing into the tank.
Old 11/27/2007, 08:17 PM
Premium Member

There's always this:

http://www.melevsreef.com/closedloop.html

worked good for Melev.

Go SunDevils...there's always next year!