Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Lighting, Filtration & Other Equipment
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11/03/2007, 08:44 PM
Registered Member

oceanic tech or ultimate?

I just came back from the LFS and I am so confused, as I wanted to get a 90 gallon oceanic but would have to order one.

They recommend me to get the tech series but I was interested in the ultimate. Besides of the cherry trim, I don't really know what the difference is.
I was told the tech has overflow, they told me they can't get the ultimate 90 anyway, but both series has sapphire glass.

The 70 ultimate that they have for $500 tank and $500 for the stand. it looks like this and it has overflow. Got a price quote for the 90 tech series and it cost $779.. is it worth almost $300 for extra 20 gallons?

Old 11/03/2007, 09:09 PM
Premium Member

the tech and ultimate are both nice. If you want a canopy you have no choice you have to go with the ultimate. I have an ultimate I needed a canopy. Check out Oceanic's website and you can see both of them side by side
Old 11/04/2007, 01:49 AM
Registered Member

the tech series has one overflow, its wider so it dosent stick out so far in the tank i belive it only comes out 4'' and it is euro braced so you dont have a center brace in the middle of the tank. i have a tech 120 and i love it.
Old 11/05/2007, 01:58 AM
Registered Member

I am still confused. If I can choose the tech and ultimate (reef ready version) for the same price which one should I choose?

I am getting a cherry stand like the picture above, The tech have trim colors as well but I think the cherry from ultimate would fit better. Is the center brace a bad thing? I know the tech is braced all around, but I think I would actually to have more space near the frame to do maintenace, that way I don't have to get my arm too close to the halides.
Old 11/05/2007, 03:20 AM
Moved On

90g Tech vs 90 Ultimate Reef Ready
1. Tech is open top, Ultimate can take a glass top
2. Tech is Eurobrace with 4 drilled holes on the back brace, brace is about 3" surrounding the top edge of the tank. Ultimate has the center brace for support and it's over a foot wide. The wide open top is easier to place large pieces of live rocks for aquascaping.
3. Tech has the the edge covering the front corners to give it extra support on top of the Eurobracing. Ultimate has bevel glass on the front corners. Some hobbyist don't like the corners covered and others love it.
4. Tech has the rectangular center overflow box, and the Ultimate has the oval left side overflow box.
5. Both have Starpphire front glass
6. Both have black back

As for trim, I think black would match more cabinet colors, just in case you change stands in the future for any reason. I would go with 90g as the extra 4" in height is nice, looks like a framed photo of the reef.
Old 11/05/2007, 03:39 AM
Registered Member

I have looked at the ultimate at the store and I don't believe the brace is over a foot wide, maybe 6" or so.. I don't have or plan on any big rocks over 20",

Everyone seems to favor the tech series, but I like the furniture style of the Ultimate.. so I am not sure what to choose, I think it's will be easier and safer to put my two 20" MH with the center brace on the ultimate.
Old 11/05/2007, 11:18 AM
Registered Member

When I looked down the front glass panel, the Tech had a obviously blue tint while the Ultimate was still green. So I didn't know if there are different Starphire specs for the two versions.
I prefer the low profile overflow of the Tech series; it being flat also makes it easier to deal with coralline scraping.
Old 11/05/2007, 11:48 AM
Registered Member

The Tech and Ultimate series tanks have the same footprints (70 is 36"x18", 90 is 48"x18", etc.). You should be able to buy the Tech tank and Ultimate stand. I was looking into doing this myself, but I actually prefer the Tech stand. It is nice, tall, sleek, and has excellent access underneath for a sump. The Ultimate stands aren't quite as accessible. You could have a canopy custom made for a Tech tank. Not having a canopy is a bit of a drawback, but IMO a large centerbrace is far worse.
Old 11/05/2007, 01:20 PM
Registered Member

Please explain how the ultimate stand (actually, the oak stand wasn't meant to be solely for ultimate) is not as accessable? I believe the oak is open in the middle and the tech stand have 2 glass doors for a 90?

The only problem I had with glass doors is that I have to spend alot of time cleaning salt marks it really shows. Maybe it's cool to see the sump lights through the glass. I don't know, I do like the black tech setup.

Also want to know, oceanic recommend sump model 1 for the 90, but it looks like you can put model 2 just fine (only 1 ft longer)
Would the drain fall in the same spot?

If you have anything to add please do.. I am placing an order very soon.
Old 11/05/2007, 01:31 PM
Registered Member

I also thought the oak stand has a lip that holds the frame so the tank can't possibly slip off (in case of earthquake). It probably don't have a solid top but just a frame holding the tank with a center brace in the center.

Is the tech stand the same way or just a flat top?
Old 11/05/2007, 01:46 PM
Registered Member

The Tech stand has two side doors too and a flat top.....If you haven't seen my build thread on the 120 Tech yet, check it out (click my red house).

Joe
Old 11/05/2007, 02:09 PM
Registered Member

Like Joe said, the Tech stand has doors on the side.
Old 11/05/2007, 03:13 PM
Registered Member

Trust me, get the Tech, there is nothing worse than trying to keep that glass centerbrace clean. I have an Oceanic 105 and i damn that centerbrace daily.
Old 12/16/2007, 08:16 AM
Premium Member

I saw the tech yesterday and I feel in love with it! The built is very nice. Clean lines and screams quality.

Whic one did you end up getting?

http://gallery.rennlist.com/gallery/albuq24
Old 12/16/2007, 10:22 AM
Premium Member

I meant to write "I **fell** in love with the TECH Series Oceanic when I saw it yesterday!!"

Old 12/16/2007, 11:09 AM
Registered Member

I wish Oceanic would start making the Tech Series in larger size aquariums!!!
Old 12/16/2007, 11:48 AM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by reef / aholic
Amen! I wanted a 60" to 72"

Old 12/16/2007, 11:48 AM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by reef / aholic
Amen! I wanted a 60" to 72" long but not to exceed 150 gals