Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > More Forums > Reef Club Forums > Inactive Club Forums > Central Valley Reefers (CVR)
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08/13/2007, 04:45 PM
Registered Member

Regional frag swap in Dixon on Sat. Oct. 6

Hi - It is time to start getting ready for the regional frag swap to be held in Dixon on Saturday Oct. 6. We will be starting promptly at 12:30.

You must be a member of a reef club to be able to participate. You should be able to join a local club the day of the swap.

There will be a Rare category, you will have to bring 2 rare frags to earn one pick. This way, rare corals make it into the general swap. As the time gets closer, rare corals will be determined.

We will be picking in groups, when you arrive you will draw a name tag with a picking group on it. We will be picking Rare, A, B, C, etc. then start back down - C, B, A, Rare.

We will be having a BBQ for the cost of $6.00

If you do not have frags to bring, you can buy in for $15.00 which will go towards the purchase of frags to add to the tables.

We will also be having a raffle of corals.

This only works if we have alot of generous poeple who are willing to frag their corals to share with others. Start fragging now, so your corals get a chance to heal.
Old 08/14/2007, 12:46 AM
Registered Member

What is the min. # of frags you have to bring to get into the swap? Do you want them in a certin container with specific info on them? How long is each group going to get to pick? Is there going to be time before the swap to look around and check out stuff? Do you have the location for the yet?

I as this because at the BAR swap earlier this year the picking time was a little rushed to me, and we didn't get a chance to check stuff out before hand.

Thanks for the heads up, I'll be trying my hardest to make this function.

Dave
Old 08/14/2007, 11:41 AM
Registered Member

Karl (Unarce) posted this on our Chico Reef Club Forum.

Quote:
Originally posted by Unarce
I'm really looking forward to another gathering at Pam's. If you were lucky enough to attend previous frag swaps at her place, I know you'll want to be there again. If you haven't before, you won't want to miss out.

For those that attended last year's Regional Frag Swap, the format will be mostly similar

Please bring your corals:

1) Pre-fragged
Preferably, pre-fragged with enough time to encrust/attach onto something. If the frags you are bringing are fresh cut, please frag the coral the night before to give the frag time to stop sliming and sloughing, and to improve survivability before packing it to bring to the swap.

2) In a plastic container or double bagged
I highly recommend the Rubbermaid TakeAlongs containers and the clear plastic containers sold at BAR meetings. Double bagged LFS bags are fine as well, but please NO ziploc bags.

3) Labeled
Please do your best to label each frag with a Sharpie. Please include the frag’s common name and/or scientific name, brief tank placement description (i.e. low, 250W), and your RC handle.

I also suggest you bring some kind of ice chest/cooler for the corals that you pick during the swap. Blue LED flashlights are also handy for quick decision making.

Pick Order
Each participant will be given a nametag and Letter, which will be the group with whom you’ll pick with.
Corals will be grouped according to type.
Groups will rotate through the picking area with each person picking 1 coral.
Bonus tickets will pick first in each round.
The order of groups picking will go up, then down. For example, if there are 3 groups the order would be:

Bonus, A, B, C…

…C, B, A, Bonus

Bonus, A, B, C…

Bonus round/bonus tickets
Bonus tickets are obtained by bringing 'rare' corals, or by bringing multiple other corals. For each Bonus ticket, you get one pick in a Bonus round which is in place of your normal picking group in that round. If you have multiple bonus tickets, you can only use one in each bonus round. Once you are out of bonus tickets, you will revert to your regular picking group for the next round. If a bonus round has too many people in it, it will be split into two just to make the picking area less frantic.

Here are examples of how the bonus tickets will be distributed:

2 'rare' frags = 1 bonus ticket

12 common frags = 1 bonus ticket

15 common frags = 1 bonus ticket

24 common frags = 2 bonus tickets

15 common frags + 1 rare frag = 1 bonus ticket

12 common frags + 2 rare frags = 2 bonus tickets

4 rare frags = 2 bonus tickets

As Pam mentioned, we'll start a Rare Consideration thread in one of the forums, when we get closer to the event date.

More news to come, so stay tuned
Old 08/23/2007, 09:00 AM
Registered Member

Question

Will we be able to buy a bonus/rare ticket if we don't have the frags to earn one?
Old 08/23/2007, 01:28 PM
Registered Member

Good question. You may want to post this question on the MARS club forum on RC thread for the Frag Swap.

The last frag swap I went to was in 2004 and as far as rare corals it simply depended on which pick group you were in. If you were first you got first dibs.

However, with rare's maybe they've done something different for this catagory. But I don't think so. It sounds like the rare corals are simply give a bonus ticket to the provider of the coral. What would be the purpose of a frag swap if we only kept the rare stuff for the elite? Doesn't sound like much of a Frag swap.

So now that I've read your question again. I believe 1) you need to be a member of a local club, 2) you need to bring at least three frags preferably (and preferably no green star polyp or xenia) and if you have less than that to donate then it is a $15 entry fee. Further there is food available as well. Check out the MARS thread for more info.

http://archive.reefcentral.com/forum...readid=1184009
Old 08/23/2007, 11:54 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by boviac
Good question. You may want to post this question on the MARS club forum on RC thread for the Frag Swap.

The last frag swap I went to was in 2004 and as far as rare corals it simply depended on which pick group you were in. If you were first you got first dibs.

However, with rare's maybe they've done something different for this catagory. But I don't think so. It sounds like the rare corals are simply give a bonus ticket to the provider of the coral. What would be the purpose of a frag swap if we only kept the rare stuff for the elite? Doesn't sound like much of a Frag swap.

So now that I've read your question again. I believe 1) you need to be a member of a local club, 2) you need to bring at least three frags preferably (and preferably no green star polyp or xenia) and if you have less than that to donate then it is a $15 entry fee. Further there is food available as well. Check out the MARS thread for more info.

http://archive.reefcentral.com/forum...readid=1184009
Thanks, I'll check out that thread.
Old 09/13/2007, 04:21 PM
espyesitis sufferer

The thread for 'rares' is now up:

click here
Old 10/03/2007, 08:00 PM
Registered Member

We have confirmation from 11 members for the swap. Thanks.