Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Invert and Plant Forums > Tridacnid Clams and other Mollusks
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12/31/2007, 03:01 PM
Registered Member

Pls Help! Flatworm Exit affects on Clam Question

I've had my Crocea clam for about 9 months now. I'm on this site almost everyday, so by everything I read and research, my clam has always been happy.

Anyway, I had a planeria flatworm probem, which I waited about 4 months for it to go away by itself, it didnt happen, so yesterday I nuked my tank with Flatworm Exit. that stuff works so great. anyway, my corals were all closed yesterday, the clam too, but today things are starting to open up again, and slowly getting back to normal. Except the clam, which looks like it has Pinched Mantel? The mantel is not as open as normal, and the ends are "folding" back inwards, and the coloring is a bit off. What can I do?

The only negative with the FE is that much of my CUC got wiped out. lots of dead bristleworms, i think the hermit crabs are dea, micro-serpent stars dead, and snails too. I changed 35% of the water, changed carbon out twice.

I'll change the carbon again tonight ,and do another 20% waterchange probably tomorrow.

Any advise for the clam would be nice... tks.
Old 12/31/2007, 03:23 PM
Keeper of the clams!!!

can you post a pic?

That should fix it everything right???
Old 12/31/2007, 03:33 PM
Registered Member

no sorry... can you beleive no digital camera?.... cant arrange to borrow one till tomorrow.

any advice? I'd rather not do a freshwater dip at this point, but of course I'm going out tomight, so wont be around to keep an eye on it. It seems like I have no choice but to wait. i just dont know if this is PM, or a temporary bad reaction to the toxins from the flatworms
Old 12/31/2007, 04:45 PM
Registered Member

Pinched Mantle is a symptom of many things, not necessarily the same thing that causes "Pinched Mantle Disease". I would follow the instructions on the FW Exit and not do anything else to the clam, unless you had another established tank you could move it to for a week or so. A freshwater dip may just stress the clam out unnecessarily and then you'd have to put it back in the same water that was causing the symptom in the first place.
Old 01/01/2008, 01:52 PM
Boomer gave me this

I used Flatworm Exit on my 10 gallon with 3 croceas and 1 maxima. I dosed it at 20 times the recommended then drained all the water and soaked all the clams in TMPCC for another 15 minutes then filled it all back up.
All the clams did great and still look fine 6 or more months later.
It could just be a coincedence with your's.
C
Old 01/01/2008, 02:52 PM
Premium Member

did you siphon out the FW's as they died? they are toxic when they die and can cause a spike that can kill the tank.

i would continue with the water changes and run lots of carbon.
Old 01/02/2008, 09:00 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by a4twenty
did you siphon out the FW's as they died? they are toxic when they die and can cause a spike that can kill the tank.

i would continue with the water changes and run lots of carbon.
Yes I know about the toxins, my original post advised my actions to compensate. I siphoned out as many as I could, but for sure there were lots I couldn't get to.

Well last night I noticed that the 'curled' ends were beginning to uncurl and its mantle was out a bit more. So I guess my question is still the same... does a rounded-in mantle indicate PM and the clam is doomed, or can a rounded-in mantle be just a temporary symtem that it can recover from?
Old 01/02/2008, 01:28 PM
Team RC Member

sounds like a reaction to the toxins released by the flat worms

------------------------------------------------
Old 01/02/2008, 02:29 PM
Premium Member

can you post a pic??