Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Special Interest Group (SIG) Forums > Large Reef Tanks
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05/28/2007, 08:59 AM
Registered Member

any updates?????
Old 05/28/2007, 07:39 PM
Team RC Member

yeah, has that sandstorm settled down?
Old 05/28/2007, 09:09 PM
RC Sponsor

Location: Fringes of the REEF and cultural desert Arkansas, USA
Sorry Guys N Gals...

Tangers... Yes updates

I have been so very busy... Sales, Tank, My daughter graduated out of state, Trip to Little Rock to pick up the Support tanks, Finishing the actual Basement around the Reef Room la la la la

Anyway, Yes Dudester Best advice! Within 2 hours of adding the salt and live sand the skimmer kicked in and the tank was clear by morning... I have some pics of how its all going but just havent had time to get them into Photobucket yet... I have been wiring the Monster lights this week... 4X 400watt Lumenarc IIIs with 20k Radiums and 2X 4 Bank 54wt T5s.. a little over 2000 watts right now Just finished the Plenum in the fuge... The frag tank is awesome and up and running, Got it From Glass cages ...no lights on it yet though... and the whole thing is about 3 weeks old now... some nice brown diatoms on the sand surface and Last week I epoxied together a big live rock arch in the display.. it took up about 200lbs of the 500lbs for the display...
Pics later
It makes me smile that you guys are interested Thanks
Old 06/01/2007, 04:44 AM
Registered Member

excuses excuse!! lol how ya doin? congrats to your daughter. Hey u know if your my uncle, where is my gradustion card and tank money? uhhhh? lmao PICS!!! dont make me slap u thru this comp..lol i havent been on much graduation and all but ill have a sad update soon..shrooms still okay but losing some color under my dull lights..they might need a better home one day so get on it!! ciao!!
Old 06/01/2007, 02:19 PM
Registered Member

Yeah were still interested...Why did you put a Plenumin your fuge? I was thinking of putting 1 in on my new dispaly. No one on RC uses them. I have 1 in my 55 predator tank. On my 75 I just have about 3 in of sand. WHat are your views on using them in the display or fuge?

(Red House for my 425 system)
Old 06/01/2007, 06:44 PM
RC Sponsor

cmb88 Doing Great just really busy and this Hobby is a full time job LOL I think that is why so many aquiesce. I hope that does not touch on your reason for bad news?

WELLLLllllll Eric,

So here was my thought on the Plenum.......

I already have 500lbs of Live rock plus an awesome skimmer so I am positive that I have the filtration aspect covered.. As I have studied Plenums over the past 3 years I have seen the failures of some of my reefbuddies and the success' One thing to keep interested is trying new things so I figured what the heck... Plus I can say "I have a Plenum" at work and it further confuses my coworkers LOL BUt really I like the theroy behind how it was supposed to work, the anerobic bacteria thing and I am sure that it cant hurt LOL so I just added it now... I totally support Fuges anyway.... This is a 50 Gal Fuge with mixed Macro... Argonite then sand then Fiji Reef MUD all sitting upon the sceened off Plenum void space X 1 1/2"... We will just have to see how it works....

My current Fuge is only 15 gal and I leave the light on 24hrs a day so that the Macro doesnt "Go sexual" ???? But I have seen others that have the fuge lit opposite the tank so that it reduces the nightly PH swing???
Anybody have any opinions on this?

Leave the Fuge lit 24/7

OR

Light the fuge opposite hours of the tank???
Old 06/01/2007, 07:14 PM
Registered Member

Just my 2 cents. My fuge goes on opposite my tank lights. Did it, like you said, to help with the ph swing. I know that your macros (especially calerpa-spelling) should be ok as long as the timings are consistant. If they detect any "danger" or threat of existance (change in lighting, water quality, etc...) that's when they turn sexual. Trying to send offspring out to reproduce. Hope that helps man, and btw... you really need to set up some pics.
Old 06/01/2007, 07:27 PM
RC Sponsor

OK OK More pics!

Glass Cages.... My 57" X 27" X 13" Rimless Frag tank

Part of the Light rack

Taking apart an old T5 system to build into my light rack
Old 06/01/2007, 07:28 PM
RC Sponsor

Let THERe BE LIghT! .... it absolutely burns your eyes

4X Lumenarc IIIs 400watt 20K Radiums on 430w overdrive Sunlight supply Ballsts
Plus
8 X 54watt T5s

Stand with Fuge up top... still adding

The Frag tank with water flowing

Starting of the Fuge

A 250lb Arch that I built to get the live rock started
Old 06/01/2007, 07:49 PM
They Found Nemo

WOW GEORGEOUS i love the slanted ends on the tank its somthing new and looks good and the foam realy blends in well. im sure you micro frags will love the new frag tank lol anyway good luck and looking foward to more updates.(btw love the arch to)
Old 06/01/2007, 08:01 PM
Registered Member

looks awesome! are you putting more rock in the display, or leaving it like that? that frag tank looks real nice!
Old 06/01/2007, 08:58 PM
RC Sponsor

Thanks Guys Yes I really like the angled back.. it appears more natural and once the faom back is covered in corralline WOW

About another 300 LBS of Live rock...
Old 06/02/2007, 02:09 AM
g0t fIsH

wow doc. looking awesome and frag tank is way to cool. what lighring will you used for frag?
(red house for 600gal)
Old 06/02/2007, 06:26 AM
RC Sponsor

RE: the Big light Rack

Of course the Lumearcs were simply purchased and mounted, The T5s were a bit more work as I had to disassemble 1 X 8 Bank system to fabricate and mount it as 2 X 4 Banks to fit the Rack... The rack is custom made by a local welder out of 1" aluminum square tube.... The racks fabrication I got a little burned on cost was $600 (Just the aluminum rack)

RE: The Frag tank lights

I am so sensitive about the Lighting that my micromussa collection is currently under and thriving that I will simply be modding the exact Bulbs, Ballasts and configuration to fit above the frag tank.... I had actually thought about simply pulling the lid of the current hood off of my frag tank and moveing it to and mounting it still as part of the lid directly above the new frag tank LOL
2X 250watt 20K Radiums with 4 X 110watt VHOs

Last edited by ReefDoctorMicromussas; 06/02/2007 at 06:33 AM.
Old 06/02/2007, 08:57 AM
Registered Member

Nice DOC....I had a 55 I was going to use as a fuge. I think I am going to copy you and use a plenum in the fuge. I was plannin on leaveing my light on at night to handle the ph swing you mentioned. Anything that saves electric is a plus for me. keep the pics coming..

(Red House for my 425 system)
Old 06/02/2007, 10:22 AM
RC Sponsor

Thanks Eric
It will prolly take me a year to see if I like it or not...

Tommorow I will be adding 2 centrifical Blowers to the lighting system... they should be interesting

Later this week I learn to hook up my Koralline 4002 Ca+ reactor???

Does anyone use Phosphate reactors on large tanks?? They seem to all only support like 150 gallon tanks???
Old 06/02/2007, 10:35 AM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by doctor64776
Thanks Eric

Does anyone use Phosphate reactors on large tanks?? They seem to all only support like 150 gallon tanks???
I use a reef mania reactor on my 780 gallon system, 6" diameter, 21" tall reactor. Does a good job keeping phosphates very close to zero.
Old 06/02/2007, 10:41 AM
RC Sponsor

Reef Mania huh? I'll google that Thanks

OK Im back

HMMM That looks PERFECT and good price also... But It doesnt say anything about media capacity? How much do you put in yours? How often do you change it? Is there anywhere that says how large of a tank it will support?

Last edited by ReefDoctorMicromussas; 06/02/2007 at 10:47 AM.
Old 06/02/2007, 10:53 AM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by doctor64776
Reef Mania huh? I'll google that Thanks

OK Im back

HMMM That looks PERFECT and good price also... But It doesnt say anything about media capacity? How much do you put in yours? How often do you change it? Is there anywhere that says how large of a tank it will support?
I'm sure you could put all you want in if you wanted. I am using about 2" of Phosloc in the reactor and have been changing every 6 or 7 weeks. I haven't tried adding more to see if it would last longer.
Old 06/03/2007, 01:32 PM
Team RC Member

You could also consider the Deltec FR616. It holds 3L of Rowaphos and is rated for a reef up to 600 gallons. It's a little pricey for a simple acrylic tube, but I love Deltec products and I never regret recommending them.
Old 06/03/2007, 02:28 PM
Premium Member

I recently purchased two of the Deltec FR616's for my system and I haven't hooked them up yet but the quality of the product is easy to see and appreciate. I plan on running ROWAphos in one and carbon if necessary in the other, depending on my needs. I have to say that I am impressed by the quality of the product. I'll be posting some pictures on my thread later this week if your interested.

Proud Registered ORCA Member
Old 06/03/2007, 06:22 PM
RC Sponsor

Doug (owner of Deltec America) Is a buddy/Client of mine... He is great to deal with and Deltec products are definitly the Cadillac of the reef world... Those are great recommendations guys
Thanks
I mounted 2 X Centrifical Blowers onto the Lightrack today and also 18ft of Blue Ropelight for at night...??? Up until now I have always sprung the big $$$ for "real" moonlights But this time I decided to try and just use the rope lights? anyone have any experience using these for moonlights??

Last edited by ReefDoctorMicromussas; 06/03/2007 at 06:31 PM.
Old 06/07/2007, 01:04 PM
RC Sponsor

OK gang,

heres some shots of the lighting rack now hung....sweat

Old 06/07/2007, 01:34 PM
Registered Member

I dont think you have enough light

J/K looking GREAT!
Old 06/07/2007, 03:33 PM
Registered Member

That's some awesome work! keep it up!