Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Special Interest Group (SIG) Forums > Large Reef Tanks
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10/26/2007, 05:05 PM
RC Sponsor

Location: Fringes of the REEF and cultural desert Arkansas, USA
Chihuahua6 Thank You so much I live to hear such kind words... I have had troubles with DSB in visible tanks before so I wanted the sandbed below site... there is a 2" lip around the front of my tank... 400lbs of Carribean Fine south down perfectly filled this void so that no nastys show as the sand ages.. I then have a remote DSB 6" deep in another sump/tank for additional filtration. 3 X 20amps and I then hooked into another leached circut for more and even now wish that I had added a 4TH 20amp LOL... Look at the life change as more time to plan... This tank was being built for appx. 2 years before water ever touched her... AGGG! Yes I am growing Blue clove polyps along the back wall right now. I'll look forward to hearing from you again

dismalorb Wish I had some more room for plants LOL I was just looking at a bunch of Macho ferns that my wife is Banishing to our childrens homes for the winter and thinking about your post.

The question posed below I have been asked many times so I figured that I would just remove the senders name and post it for all to see.

Hello -

I have been browsing RC trying to get some ideas for aquascaping in my 380 tank. I love the arch you constructed and was curious as to how you did this. PVC or epoxy? Do you have any pictures available of construction?

Any info you can provide would be greatly appreciated.

Regards,

Hello,
Thank You for such a wonderful compliment I do not have pictures of actually building it no... That would have been good though as I have had this request before...
I used Epoxy sticks (Many) I layed out cardboard first and took large pieces of appropriately shaped rock and first built the skeleton of the arch that I wanted... this quickly became very heavy as the arch stands about 30" tall and is perhaps 36" wide.. with the help of my sons I set the arch in place... once it was in place I started to epoxy more and more rock onto it to sculpt it into the final shape that I wanted... I then created a smaller version on the opposite angle intersecting this arch for then 2 separate arches... both of these I then secured to the now added support rocks around them so that basically all of the rockwork is one big immobile piece... I am very pleased thus far and just hope that I never have need to move it LOL as this would prove literally immpossible...
I hope that this helped
Old 10/27/2007, 11:29 AM
Registered Member

So is the problem fixed? I'd love to see how its doing now.
Old 10/27/2007, 12:37 PM
RC Sponsor

Yes all is perfect... All that I can assume is that somehow the clogged feed tube allowed too much C02??? does not seem logical but since everything corrected so easily I cannot find any other determing factor?

Tank is doing great I will work on some more pics this week
Old 11/06/2007, 07:01 PM
Registered Member

umm..........we need updated pics.......we need our fix
Old 11/06/2007, 07:07 PM
RC Sponsor

Sups Jerry

Here are a few BIG shots from earlier this week

Right side

Left Side

Center

Aussie Elegance 1 of 3

Aussie Elegance 2 of 3

Last edited by ReefDoctorMicromussas; 11/06/2007 at 07:31 PM.
Old 11/06/2007, 08:19 PM
Premium Member

looking nice, I really like the 3 dimensional aspects of the tank
Old 11/06/2007, 08:38 PM
RC Sponsor

Elliott hehe Grinning ear to ear you make me smile
Old 11/06/2007, 08:41 PM
Registered Member

B.E.A.utiful Chris
Old 11/06/2007, 09:20 PM
Registered Member

very cool

that is a very nice tank
grate aquascape job not toomuch not to little
did you say you used 1/2" glass
thanks Manny
Old 11/07/2007, 11:42 PM
Registered Member

Really Nice. Everything looks incredible. I love the rocks on your wall . A really nice setup. Thanks doc I need the inspiration to get back to work.

(Red House for my 425 system)
Old 11/08/2007, 07:36 AM
RC Sponsor

Manny Thank You... Yes it is 1/2" Starphire

Jerry Thank you ... sorry I missed your call man... You up for a reef meeting?

Yes Eric Get back to work! I need to see an update on yours also... Hows the Baby?
Old 11/08/2007, 09:40 AM
Premium Member

The tank is really looking nice Chris! The dimension you get with the rock and pond foam is great! I also love your Elegance's!

Proud Member of CMAS & Rockford Reefers
Old 11/08/2007, 10:41 AM
Moved On

Absolutely beautiful setup. How long have you had the Moorish Idols?
Old 11/08/2007, 11:21 PM
Registered Member

Very nice, any word on the big red carpet yet?
Old 11/09/2007, 06:49 AM
RC Sponsor

Welllll My supplier promised me the Big Red Carpet forever... The day I was supposed to get it I instead received 2 Big Blues, 2 Purples and 2 Greens... HMMM NO RED ... I loved the all six of them in a quarranteen tank almost tempted not to even sell any especially the blues WOW ... I guess that I really knew nothing about pleaseing them Too bright of light?? No sand??? Monster powerheads over about 4 weeks I lost all 6... right now I am kinda burned on carpets and feel like a failure....
Old 11/09/2007, 08:17 AM
Registered Member

ragin cagin those aren't morish idols they are butterflyfish
Old 11/09/2007, 08:35 AM
Premium Member

Quote:
ReefDoctorMicromussas Welllll My supplier promised me the Big Red Carpet forever... The day I was supposed to get it I instead received 2 Big Blues, 2 Purples and 2 Greens... HMMM NO RED ... I loved the all six of them in a quarranteen tank almost tempted not to even sell any especially the blues WOW ... I guess that I really knew nothing about pleaseing them Too bright of light?? No sand??? Monster powerheads over about 4 weeks I lost all 6... right now I am kinda burned on carpets and feel like a failure....
is the nature of this hobby, always teaching us how much we don't know...
Old 11/09/2007, 10:01 AM
Registered Member

Yea Chris I'm up for a meeting.

At your place
Old 11/09/2007, 11:06 AM
RC Sponsor

Yes my place it is time I'll work on it
Old 11/09/2007, 02:37 PM
Registered Member

I just love the rockwork doc...so many possibilities!
Old 11/09/2007, 02:51 PM
Registered Member

Stunning! Cant wait to see this one filled with grown corals!

If Pacman had effected us as kids, then we'd all be running around in a dark room, munching pills and listening to repetitive music
Old 11/11/2007, 09:21 PM
Registered Member

I have got another month untill he gets here. I havbe a couple days off and will strart the plumbing soon and definetly update. My next tank will be home built one side viewable like yours. I love your tank more and more...

(Red House for my 425 system)
Old 11/12/2007, 08:41 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by ReefDoctorMicromussas
Welllll My supplier promised me the Big Red Carpet forever... The day I was supposed to get it I instead received 2 Big Blues, 2 Purples and 2 Greens... HMMM NO RED ... I loved the all six of them in a quarranteen tank almost tempted not to even sell any especially the blues WOW ... I guess that I really knew nothing about pleaseing them Too bright of light?? No sand??? Monster powerheads over about 4 weeks I lost all 6... right now I am kinda burned on carpets and feel like a failure....
man that really stinks maybe you should try to get a clone?
Old 11/12/2007, 10:23 PM
Team RC Member

Quote:
Originally posted by ReefDoctorMicromussas
Don't beat yourself up about losing them, you have obviously shown that you posess excellent husbandry skills. Carpets are some of the most difficult animals to keep in captivity. You may want to reconsider even trying to keep them again at all, as many an experienced reefer has met the same outcome as you have. You have quite the talent for micromussas; perhaps you could capitalize on that and expand your micro garden in your reef instead of a carpet? Just a suggestion, I'm not trying to tell you how to stock your reef.

Cheers!
Old 11/13/2007, 03:29 PM
RC Sponsor

Thanks for the input guys... I so look forward to seeing your replys..

Yes as for carpets I had kept one for about 3 years (Even when I knew nothing) I finally lost it during a tank change over Right now even with the vast real estate shown above I really have no room left LOL I have been having troubles finding even a space for 1/4" frags LOL so at least for now I will be out of the BIG carpet game