Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > New to the Hobby
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05/14/2005, 07:30 PM
Sleep Deprived Senior

Based on the research i have done today... i think im going to go with a 6060 or maybe save and get one i can put on a controller, i dont want to risk my livestock with a meltdown from a SEIO
Old 05/14/2005, 10:18 PM
Be Afraid, Be Very Afraid

Meltdown from a Seio? You've been listening to wives tails but anyway the Tunze will do a good job for you.
Old 05/14/2005, 10:37 PM
Tang? What Tang!

Thinking about a T-5 set up for a 48" tank (90 or 120) they say the retro is moist resistance and the hood is not, but the hood is enclosed and 200 bucks cheaper!! Like I always do I will put Di-Electric grease on the contacts, so my question is why spend 2 bones more for what?? Grim? Just wondering?
Old 05/15/2005, 01:25 AM
Pink People Eater!!!

RJ, did you know they're useing a pic of your tank for a different t-5 product? http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...380842180&rd=1 i think its irresponsable on their part and misleading as well

To reef, Or not to reef,

Whats the question?

Little C-4 Knockin at your door.
Yesh Commmanddaaa
(Red Alert 2, LionXFish)
Old 05/15/2005, 01:58 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Scuba Oz
Thinking about a T-5 set up for a 48" tank (90 or 120) they say the retro is moist resistance and the hood is not, but the hood is enclosed and 200 bucks cheaper!! Like I always do I will put Di-Electric grease on the contacts, so my question is why spend 2 bones more for what?? Grim? Just wondering?
Depending on where you buy the fixture the retro will include lamps and the hood wont. If you run the hood in the open the waterproof endcaps aren't a big issue but the greese is good insurance. Make sure you are getting a good hood with individual reflectors for the lamps.
Old 05/15/2005, 07:21 AM
Reef Mania

Quote:
Originally posted by new2u
RJ, did you know they're useing a pic of your tank for a different t-5 product? http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...380842180&rd=1 i think its irresponsable on their part and misleading as well
Yes, it does not say his T5 product, it just says it was lit by T5 HO from the beginning. I think like anything else in this hobby, what works well for one person may not work well for another and it is not just lighting that makes the tank.

24g Aquapod
MJ 900
Standard Pump
Standard 72w PC Lighting
Old 05/15/2005, 10:13 AM
Reef Mania

We need a picture on this page!

Here is a full tank picture from today!

24g Aquapod
MJ 900
Standard Pump
Standard 72w PC Lighting
Old 05/15/2005, 10:59 AM
Premium Member

very impressive. Just a side question, how did you mount the monti caps so they stay like that? The aquarium systems green epoxy dosen't hold that well, and superglue i would be afraid of breaking with the weight while it encrusts.. heck i got zoos ive been re-supergluing for about 8 months now every month or so.
Old 05/15/2005, 11:19 AM
reefaholic

I mount my caps/tables on the sides of rock by applying superglue gel to the frag, putting cylinder shaped piece of epoxy on the superglue, then more superglue gel on the side of the epoxy that will contact the rock. Then push the whole affair onto the rock to squish the epoxy (so that some is underneath the edge of the frag for support), and holding it there for a minute or two. I have done a bunch of frags this way and all are hodling much better than with either superglue or epoxy alone.

Visit our CTARS club website by clicking the 'red house' icon above :)
Old 05/15/2005, 01:00 PM
Reef Mania

I just grab a piece of LR that will fit good in an area and I pull the piece of cap out of the tank. I glue it onto the LR the way I want it right on my news paper on my desk and it dry's after a minute or two. Then I put the rock in the tank the way it fit best and pretty solid, and eventually after a week or two the cap encrusts to that LR as well as other's in the immediate area. It does not alway work the first try, but usually after 2-3 max tries I get it the way I want it.

24g Aquapod
MJ 900
Standard Pump
Standard 72w PC Lighting
Old 05/15/2005, 01:56 PM
Sleep Deprived Senior

Another t-5 Tank!

Old 05/15/2005, 02:41 PM
Reef Mania

Nice superswimmer! what fish do you have in that tank?

24g Aquapod
MJ 900
Standard Pump
Standard 72w PC Lighting
Old 05/15/2005, 03:39 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by rjwilson37
Yes, it does not say his T5 product, it just says it was lit by T5 HO from the beginning. I think like anything else in this hobby, what works well for one person may not work well for another and it is not just lighting that makes the tank.
So that guy has your permission to use the pic? I though is was a little funny that he posts this above the picture:

*DO NOT copy any pictures from this auction, as all pictures on this auction have been painstakingly copyrighted. To do so will violate copyright laws.
Old 05/15/2005, 04:06 PM
Reef Mania

Yes, he has my permission to use the picture. It does not bother me at all if people want to use my tank pictures for something, as long as they ask.

24g Aquapod
MJ 900
Standard Pump
Standard 72w PC Lighting
Old 05/15/2005, 05:07 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by rjwilson37
Yes, he has my permission to use the picture. It does not bother me at all if people want to use my tank pictures for something, as long as they ask.
Unfortunatly that usually isn't the case.
Old 05/15/2005, 08:37 PM
Sleep Deprived Senior

1 Mandarin
1 Six line wrasse
1 rainfordi goby
1 Maroon Clown

I need some more
fish lol
Old 05/15/2005, 09:13 PM
Reef Mania

Your right superswimmer, maybe 2 more would be good. Make them something special and colorful.

24g Aquapod
MJ 900
Standard Pump
Standard 72w PC Lighting
Old 05/16/2005, 04:03 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by superswimmer
1 Mandarin
1 Six line wrasse
1 rainfordi goby
1 Maroon Clown

I need some more
fish lol
I think I would add a fuge before any more fish. A 46 isn't going to have a lot of pod production and if the six line is feeding on them at all the Marderin might starve unless you are one of the lucky few who has one that will eat prepaired foods.
Old 05/16/2005, 04:46 PM
Sleep Deprived Senior

I am and do. LOL i have had a ten gallon refugium up and running for about 6 months before even thinking of getting a mandarin. As of now I have had it for two weeks and it is happily accepting frozen mysis everyday to supplement its diet. It has even gotten fatter after i purchased it. However, if the fish should start to get skinny, i will promptly give it back, or find someone who can support it.

Thanks for the concern
Old 05/16/2005, 05:50 PM

If the manderin is taking frozen shrimp it would probably take blackworms too if you can find them. Thats way cool you got one that eats the frozen shrimp. Mine is a pod snob.

With that kind of luck I'd try a Flame Angle for another fish. Those are just too cool looking By the way, nice rockscaping in your tank. I like the open swimming area at the top.
Old 05/17/2005, 09:11 AM
Premium Member

My mandarin will eat nothing but pods. I bought him skinny and now he is fat. He loves to take the ride down the overflow to the fuge. Lots of food there.
Old 05/17/2005, 02:12 PM
Registered Member

you guys will love what my lfs said to me when i mentioned i will probably do t5 lighting on my 125 when i order it.

"who told you about t5s? their not that great, you have to replace the bulbs ever 5 months, with halides its only once a year" one of his sales reps was in the store and also commented "ya t5's are great if you like hair algea"

i told them both they should check out reefcentral and look at the positive results everyone has been having.
Old 05/17/2005, 02:23 PM
Registered Member

lfs always makes up all sorts of garbage to tell you.
I'm guessing that store didn't sell T5's huh?
Old 05/17/2005, 03:00 PM
Sleep Deprived Senior

The swimming space at the top... that place is reserved for branching SPS . I can;t wait to order my Tunze and then try my hand at them. I saw some really nice mont frags and a pollipicopra(sp?) too bad i cant spell/pronouce half of the names...
Old 05/17/2005, 04:24 PM
Registered Member

Just wanted to share a few new pics.........the 55 gallon is 4 months old now. I really love my T5's

Fishy1