Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > New to the Hobby
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03/07/2007, 03:16 PM
Registered Member

MH's VS T-5's??

I am in the market to purchase new lighting for my standard 125 gallon tank. I don't have a canopy... I would suspend the lights from my ceiling in the garage. I know I do want pendants instead of a 72" housing because of the limited space I have to work with.
I am currently have a PC unit..and I want more corals and the natural look of the water rippling on the sand bottom.

I have been recommenced 3 x 250 watt electronic ballast and batwing chrome reflector and bulbs.. Reflux bulbs 10k, 12k or 14k for about 225.00 each

should I need blues as well??

I haven't really researched the T-5's..I have no clue!!

What do you guys suggest???
Old 03/07/2007, 03:32 PM
Registered Member

I use reflux 10k with no actinics. Matter of personal choice, but I run mine on a magnetic ballast, so it may show a little different.
Old 03/07/2007, 03:42 PM
Registered Member

thanks
Old 03/07/2007, 03:42 PM
Registered Member

is there a difference in electricity usage in the electronic and magnetic ballast?

what about this setup??

http://cgi.ebay.com/250-Watt-Metal-H...QQcmdZViewItem
Old 03/09/2007, 10:52 PM
Registered Member

anyone?? I would like someone to see if this a good option for me

http://cgi.ebay.com/250-Watt-Metal-H...QQcmdZViewItem

Is there a big difference between magnetic or electric ballast?
Old 03/10/2007, 12:19 AM
Premium Member

Yeah, there some difference between elec usage. The magnetics pull more electricity and usually have a little better output than the electronics but not so much that electronics have ever kept someone from having a successful tank.

Stay away from ebay in general for lighting needs. There have been numerous threads asking if "these were any good?" and I have never heard anyone say that they were "great" in fact more stories about staying away.

You should look in the Equipment forum for the T5 q&a thread. It has a ton of info. In the end, many Europeans and now more Americans are keeping very delicate corals with T5's. I personally believe that you can keep "almost" anything with T5's that you can with MH lights. The "almost" is because there is an exception to every situation but successful tanks that I have seen and am running myself have had great success with Clams, Stony Corals and the like with T5's.

T5's are not the energy vacuums that MH lights are, which is what finally encouraged me to make the jump.
Old 03/10/2007, 08:49 AM
Registered Member

Thanks!! I will look into T5's. The energy usage is a big factor in my decision being that I already pay on avg 300.00 per month..
Old 03/10/2007, 09:20 AM
Registered Member

If you're serious about wanting the rippling effect of the water, you'll have to go with MH. T5s are awesome and I recently got a 48" 6 bulb Tek5 fixture that I love. It's sitting above a 75 and I'd feel comfortable keeping just about any coral and even clams in the tank. However, it's still diffused, flourescent lighting so won't give you the glitter effect of pinpoint lighting like MH.
Old 03/10/2007, 09:38 AM
ADDICTED MEMBER

I would get magnetic ballasts as you will be getting a higher par, and they are considerably cheaper.
Old 03/10/2007, 01:59 PM
:)

if you are going to sale your old lights let me know - but t5s have low wattage, but the light of a mh is awesome.
Old 03/10/2007, 03:49 PM
Registered Member

OK so then I don't want the T5's because I do want to have the ripple affect. I think it looks more natural.
How does the lights from eBay look?
I have a "mentor" here in Tampa suggesting the electric over the magnetic ballast. I don't remember what kind though. I was trying to get different input regarding buying the lights.
If I was purchase the ones from eBay it would save me about $300.00....but am I going to waste my money or not?? Is the question.
I know theres a risk of buying from eBay, I am protected through pay pal to get reimbursed so I am not too worried about that. I just want to make sure that this is indeed work well for me.

I am going to sell the old lights.. I have owned them for 6 months and the previous owner had them for 6 months. It is a Current 72" power compacts. I don't have a clue about what the specs are because all of them look the same to me on the websites. I want to say its 894 watts?? It has blue and the white lights, moon lights and fans. they all have separate cords and switches. i know that the lights haven't been changed they still work... are they good probably not as good as new, but they work..lol
As soon as I get the new ones I can let you know.
mary

Last edited by marynjason; 03/10/2007 at 03:56 PM.
Old 03/10/2007, 04:10 PM
Registered Member

how about this??

Reeflux Retro Kits come complete with a 250 watt Coralvue electronic ballast, choice of 10k or 14k Reeflux MH bulb, parabolic reflector, mogul socket and all wiring. for 215.00 @?

found here: http://www.reefexotics.com/coralvue_lighting.htm
Old 03/10/2007, 06:13 PM
Registered Member

I went to Sanjays Lighting page to help determine the difference MH lights. I tried to use the graph and I don't understand the explanations that are given... PPFD CCT Power Volts Amps Efficiency
Is the higher the number better? or vise versa

It was recommened to me to buy 3x 250 watt ballast and Coralvue reeflux bulb 12k so I wouldn't need the blues... I have a standard 125 gal.
I don't know what ballast to buy..I'm trying to save on cost of the lights as well as power cost.

I have these options that I've looked at:
Reeflux Retro Kits come complete with a with 250 watt Dimmable Coralvue electronic ballast, choice of 10k or 14k Reeflux MH bulb, parabolic reflector, mogul socket and all wiring. for 215.00@
found here http://www.reefexotics.com/coralvue_lighting.htm

is dimmable ballast better? I live in Fl and it gets hot quick. I do have a chiller but I'm scared it will run all day. I read that it enables the user to dial down the output to decrease energy output and dim the bulb. This is especially useful on hot summer days to help with tank heat issues.

also was recommended was this with the 14K bulb..but wouldn't I need the blue's as well?
http://oceanencounter.com/Merchant2/...gory_Code=ICRM
?

OH I'm no longer interested in Ebay's auction I'm not saving that much compare to these prices and in the longer run i don't think it will be worth it
Thanks for your help...Mary

Last edited by marynjason; 03/10/2007 at 07:03 PM.
Old 03/10/2007, 06:36 PM
Premium Member

Don't be fooled into thinking Paypal will protect you. You will recover money only if Paypal is able to retrieve the funds from the other end. If that person clears there account before anything is done then you're SOL. It has happened to me twice. The first time took several months to receive a full refund. The second time I only received a partial refund because the seller wiped most of his account before paypal could withdraw anything.
Old 03/10/2007, 06:56 PM
Registered Member

oops double post
Old 03/10/2007, 06:58 PM
Registered Member

Did you pay with a Major credit card or through your bank?? Credit card company's will reverse charges within 90 days of purchase if they find the dispute in your favor (enough documentation you've got a great chance) and paypal will put a negative amount in there paypal account records. I have done this once over a jerk on Ebay who didn't have the funds available. Mind you it took 2 months but I'm glad The CC co stuck it him regardless and the item went in the trash..lol
but I have decided against the ebay lights..because I'm not knowledgeable on the lighting and the whole idea of not knowing the company is what scares me..In the event the ballast catch fire or stop working after 90 days..well then you're RIGHT I'm SOL..
Old 03/10/2007, 07:00 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by michaeldaly
I would get magnetic ballasts as you will be getting a higher par, and they are considerably cheaper.
That's "not true" for most bulbs actually. XM's are the only widely used halide that has higher PAR on a standard mag. than an e-ballast.
The ReefLux's he was looking at run with at least 20%+ more PAR than on a mag.

It's difficult to get a man to understand something that his salary requires him not to.
Old 03/10/2007, 07:02 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by E-A-G-L-E-S
That's "not true" for most bulbs actually. XM's are the only widely used halide that has higher PAR on a standard mag. than an e-ballast.
???? English please..LMAO. I have no clue what par is??Is that good? the higher the par the better?
Old 03/10/2007, 07:05 PM
Registered Member

It is if you are mainly interested in trying to max growth.(like for sps frags)...otherwise you should just get one that has decent PAR and more importantly one that you like the color of.
PAR is a measurement of light output.

It's difficult to get a man to understand something that his salary requires him not to.
Old 03/10/2007, 07:51 PM
Registered Member

Eagle thanks..did you take a look at the post I did regarding the 2 different MH setups? what do you think?
Old 03/11/2007, 04:13 AM
ADDICTED MEMBER

Quote:
Originally posted by E-A-G-L-E-S
I was speaking specifically about DE bulbs, and I had a look on Sanjays website and all three bulbs I looked at, BLV, Giesmann, AB all put out more par running on magnetic HQI ballasts than on e-ballasts.
Old 03/11/2007, 08:53 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by michaeldaly
I was speaking specifically about DE bulbs, and I had a look on Sanjays website and all three bulbs I looked at, BLV, Giesmann, AB all put out more par running on magnetic HQI ballasts than on e-ballasts.
Didn't know you were referring to DE's, but an HQI is no 'standard mag.' ballast though....

Old 03/11/2007, 08:54 AM
Registered Member

I think you would love the ReefLux 10K on an E-ballast such as icecap or coralvue

Old 03/11/2007, 09:55 AM
Tony Montanas electrician

just go with MH. Better, stronger, longer lasting bulbs preferably mogul base
Old 03/11/2007, 10:36 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by 0 Agios
just go with MH. Better, stronger, longer lasting bulbs preferably mogul base
i wouldn't go with any of this as properly T5's can beat out some MH, the bulbs for t5's last much longer than MH, but is cost and heat isn't an issue go with MH. I run T5's on my 46 bow and love them but miss the shimmer effect. but other than the shimmer i bet my setup will out do any 150, 175, and most 250watt MH on my system