Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > New to the Hobby
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01/05/2008, 01:37 PM
Registered Member

wifes

why is it that the only person that disagrees with me about getting a bigger tank is my wife? i pay the rent,light,gas,and phone bill,and she still gives me a hard time anybody else have this problem? CANT LIVE WIT THEM CANT LIVE WITHOUT EM. LOL
Old 01/05/2008, 01:46 PM
Registered Member

My wife told me to get a bigger tank. I had an 80g we broke it down si I could paint and install hardwood floors. When I was done she said you know a bigger tank would look nicer. So I bought a 150g. Show your bride this post! I have a start up pic on profile.
Old 01/05/2008, 01:50 PM
Registered Member

Not all wives!

I have just informed hubby that my 55g will do for now but I fully intend upgrading to a 150g in the next few years. Or possibly Christmas...

“No good fish goes anywhere without a porpoise”
Old 01/05/2008, 01:56 PM
Registered Member

LOL My husband was the one that was into our 55gal that has been gone for a couple of years--- now I want to upgrade to a 150gal and it's me trying to convince him!!

Good Luck!
Old 01/05/2008, 01:58 PM
This Space for Rent

Location: Sitting on a park bench...eyeing college girls with bad intent.
My wife has learned to appreciate my tank more over time.

Play up the fact that you could be going and spending all that money at the (strip?) bar...and always hide the receipts. I can't tell you how many things I've gotten for my tank that were around 20 bucks.
Old 01/05/2008, 01:59 PM
Registered Member

Ah there is no convincing anyone in my house, what I want, I get - or God help him! lol I will just buy it and then tell him when its delivered.

“No good fish goes anywhere without a porpoise”
Old 01/05/2008, 02:02 PM
Registered Member

My wife wanted a bigger tank also.. going for a 75 to a 265. She's letting me go all out, said to buy what ever I needed to make it look like the display tanks at our LFS. :-)
Old 01/05/2008, 02:03 PM
Registered Member

How active is she in your hobby? Bring her in and let her get captured like most of us. Soon she might be asking you about upgrades.
Old 01/05/2008, 02:33 PM
Registered Member

ive been into FW and SW maybe about 10 years and shes always given me a hard time especially when i went from fresh to salt.i have a 90 gallon and all i wanna do is go 150 or 180 is there anything wrong with that? maybe shes jealous cause i spend so much time with my tank.but you guys that have wives that like tanks god bless you.
Old 01/05/2008, 02:52 PM
Registered Member

baldomero, I think you were defendally out numbered on that one! Maybe you should post another question. Something like guys how to you get your wife on your Team help needed ASAP? lol!!! Really though, do you bring her to the store with you? Offer to let her pick up a fish or frag thats her very own, maybe something like that would work! Good Luck!
Old 01/05/2008, 02:56 PM
Friend to Vallonia

A lot of guys will make a deal with their wife to "match" dollars spent on the tank with dollars for the wife to spend on her hobbies/shoes/whatever.

IMO, if you're arguing about how to spend money, there needs to be more dialogue between you about needs/wants/financial goals.
Old 01/05/2008, 02:57 PM
Premium Member

I've noticed that since I let my fiance help pick out frags it is really helpful. When she has some say in the tank, she wants to take care of it, and is generally more involved in the hobby. Now... I just need to figure out how to get her to do water changes!
Old 01/05/2008, 04:07 PM
Registered Member

hey ive tried shes been to the pet shop with me but she'd rather go see the dogs.im definitely gonna get that bigger tank wether she likes it or not and i dont think i should buy her something so that i can get something,our relationship is real good may i add. the other day i went away 4 a couple days and told her to test my water with the api kit she didnt even know how to open the bottle and on top of that broke two of the test tubes.when i moved to puerto rico from new york i set my tank up i went back to new york 4 a couple of days and she left my lights on for 4 days straight.thats what i mean about she doesnt care about my tank.
Old 01/05/2008, 04:12 PM
Registered Member

Sorry,I was just trying to help ya!
Old 01/05/2008, 04:45 PM
Registered Member

how do you know she doesnt care? she obviously tried to check the water or you wouldnt have broken test tubes. i agree with everyone else try to get her more involved.
Old 01/05/2008, 04:47 PM
Registered Member

i see this is a no win situation sorry guys.
Old 01/05/2008, 04:48 PM
Registered Member

deb91 thanks no problem.
Old 01/05/2008, 05:17 PM
Premium Member

It might be a good idea to sit down and talk with her about why she objects to an upgrade. It's possible your wife likes your tank more than you think -- like stevelkaneval said, she wouldn't have broken the test tubes if she wasn't trying to help out. She may not have known when/how to shut the lights off. I know my husband won't touch any switches unless he's expressly asked to - he worries he'll hurt something. I keep everything on timers and write detailed instructions for him to follow if I go away.

Do you spend a lot of time taking care of your tank? She might fear that if you upgrade your new tank will take even more of your time. My husband spends a lot of time playing video games and I occasionally feel resentful - luckily I have a time-consuming hobby too! Does your wife have a hobby? I'm willing to bet if you contribute an equal amount to her pastime, she'll be happy to help you upgrade
Old 01/05/2008, 05:21 PM
Team RC Member

Look her coyly in the eye and say, "I got you a house and the car. And I just want this measly lil ol' 500g tank. Is that too much to ask?"

"Make haste slowly." ---Augustus.

"If anything CAN go wrong, it will, and at the worst possible moment."---St. Murphy.
Old 01/05/2008, 05:23 PM
Registered Member

no mine was a bigger tank i just cannot afford it lol
Old 01/05/2008, 05:26 PM
Registered Member

I think ACBlinky hit the nail on the head. She is most likely afraid that a bigger tank = more time spent with it. I would suggest sitting her down and talking it out. At least give it a try. BTW this advice is coming to you from someone who is trying to talk her husband into a 250gallon.
Old 01/05/2008, 05:27 PM
Flea Slide

I cut a deal with mine, she could buy one of whatever she wanted in exchange for me getting my 225 gal tank.

She got a BMW
Old 01/05/2008, 05:31 PM
Registered Member

what do you tell a woman with 2 black eyes? .......nothing you already told her twice lol jk. but good luck with that
Old 01/05/2008, 06:03 PM
Delaware Reef Club

I have been married a looong time, and have had many many hobbies over the years. the most important thing I've learned....

"It's always easier to ask for forgiveness then to beg for permission"
Old 01/05/2008, 06:14 PM
Registered Member

new tank for me= new diamond ring for her, everyone happy

sana