Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > New to the Hobby
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01/05/2008, 06:34 PM
Registered Member

i understand im gonna have to buy her something then just hope it doesnt cost more than a 180 gallon.LOL
Old 01/05/2008, 06:37 PM
Registered Member

but remember i had my tank in newyork 5 years she knows what i was doing as far as turning off the lights and testing and what not she just chooses not to care.
Old 01/05/2008, 06:46 PM
Our man in the East

Quote:
Originally posted by cdangel0

"It's always easier to ask for forgiveness then to beg for permission"
I'm with you on that one.

Last edited by BangkokMatt; 01/05/2008 at 07:40 PM.
Old 01/05/2008, 07:16 PM
Registered Member

What's wrong with you people? Do as you please, if she doesn't like it, then there's the door!

case closed.
Old 01/05/2008, 08:08 PM
Registered Member

hey reef not married huh???, you are smart, lol
Old 01/05/2008, 08:56 PM
Registered Member

lol auntynatal, ur occupation and signiture is hillarious
Old 01/05/2008, 09:02 PM
Registered Member

Make her your Avatar, get her involved, let her name the fish, buy her a car, let her spend on her stuff and scrimp on yours, brand new kitchen, and.........

never mind I still have a 30gl.
Old 01/05/2008, 09:05 PM
Ich Rumor/Myth Buster

Re: wifes

Quote:
Originally posted by baldomero
i pay the rent
Do you suppose maybe she sees it as pushing back any hope of OWNING a house farther and farther down the road instead of just renting one for the rest of your lives? Just throwin it out there for ya.
Old 01/05/2008, 09:18 PM
Registered Member

I know how you feel. Before we downgraded from a 75 gallon to a 38, my wife hated the tank. And justifiably so: poorly planned setup that had wires and ballasts everywhere. Even the calc. reactor was on the floor next to the tank And it was loud. At the new house she agreed to a downsized, more organized, simplified reef tank after a bout of anger as a result of a messy tank tear-down hours before our buyers' final walk-though. Now, I actually prefer the smaller setup. It's easy and worry-free.

Now, she's indifferent... at least to the corals. She never stops to take good look at the tank beyond a quick glance. She does genuinely care for the fish though and was sad when we had to give the yellow tang back to the lfs. She's also likes our 6 year old clownfish and would be upset if it died.

I guess considering how much cash I dumped into the 75 gallon I'm thankful that she was patient enough to let me spend more money on a small setup - about $1500. She might not be that interested but she does understand that I've kept aquariums for over 20 years and that they're important to me.
Old 01/05/2008, 09:23 PM
Registered Member

im 15 so obviously not married but was having the same problem with my parents. like every1 said i solved it by getting them involved, my brother now has a fully fledged predetor tank and my dad wants to get a tank for his office. im now free to design my tank upgrade . i managed to convince my mum that my royal gramma came on a piece of lr i bought i let her adopt it and now shes ok with me getting a bigger tank 2
Old 01/05/2008, 09:42 PM
Registered Member

oh! and a lil cleaner shrimp manacure goes a long way to
Old 01/05/2008, 10:10 PM
Registered Member

wow listen ive been married 13 years so the out the door thing is out of the question.as far as the house rent mortgage same difference to me.and as soon as i find a good set up guess what im gonna get it even if she doesnt talk to me for awhile,even then it'l be all worth it .LOL
Old 01/05/2008, 10:19 PM
Who's your daddy

wow you must of bought her the pants too my wife tries the same thing to right before she goes out shopping she will get over it just like mine cause last time i checked this shack is half mine to
Old 01/05/2008, 10:33 PM
Registered Member

im not married but my sis is... her hubby is a pc freek.. ( he a programmer and all... works for a big bank.. ) anyhow... lets say he bought a expensive new toy again.. ( a new 17'' mac ) when she was away... it's been a about 2 years now and she still isnt over it... but he still has it.. ans she still sleeps next to him... guess some things.. you just have to get over... if reefing is that important to you... then she should know that you cant help it...

i had a problem when i got my tank.. dad dint want one.. at all... he said they are too exspensive for what they are.. just a giant bowl of water.. well.. i got one anyways.. a few years later i moved.. now he is w/o a tank and he misses feeding them.. (i trained my fish to eat out of my hand... and he thinks it's cool.. and he always over feeds.. always says they eat enough )

if i where you.. id get me a nice cheap used tank.. ( a nice big one 9in your case ) then you can tell her that it was REALLY REALLY CHEAP.. which would be true.. then but everything els once in a while.. a little of this and a little of that.. next thing you know.. you have a nice tank...

but what do i know about wifes...
YzGYz

2nd best way is to learn from ones own mistakes but the best way to learn is from others...

thx to Randy and so many other for making reefing that much easier
Old 01/05/2008, 10:34 PM
Registered Member

Re: wifes

Quote:
Originally posted by baldomero
why is it that the only person that disagrees with me about getting a bigger tank is my wife? i pay the rent,light,gas,and phone bill,and she still gives me a hard time anybody else have this problem? CANT LIVE WIT THEM CANT LIVE WITHOUT EM. LOL
I agree my wife was PO'd that I convinced my parents to get me a new 75 Gal and Eeim filter as a birthday gift she thinks the 31 Gal and the kids 10 Gal are pleny for our place LOL.

Just remember one thing it was all started by a mouse

25 before 12 HABS over the Leafs every time...
Old 01/05/2008, 10:40 PM
This Space for Rent

Location: Sitting on a park bench...eyeing college girls with bad intent.
Quote:
What's wrong with you people? Do as you please, if she doesn't like it, then there's the door!
Right...and if that doesn't work, hit her over the head with your club, and drag her by her hair back to your cave.

One thing I forgot to mention...my couch is right next to the tank, so if I get banished from the bedroom...it's not all that bad.
Old 01/05/2008, 10:44 PM
Registered Member

I made my hubby think the tank upgrade from a 75 gallon to a 180 gallon was his idea. Really he doesn't even know how I played him on this one. He was like putty in my hands or should I say 2 part. LOL! He tells everyone it is his, but I pick all the corals, all the fish but one. I do all the routine maintenance.
I love my tank and so does he.

Sorry, I am of no help to you, but please do not lump us into the same category as your wife!! Some woman and most that I have met, really like reef keeping. Some are happy watching from a distance but there are a lot that handle all the care of the tanks and its inhabitants.

Find a way to get her interested. Ask her point blank why she doesn't want a larger tank. Woman like directness, not confrontation, so ask nicely, like you really care about her feelings.
Discuss ways that will enable you to get what you want and make both of you happy. Woman like to be involved in the decision making.

And whatever you do, do not ever, ever say to her that you are the one that bought the house or the car. That is demeaning to a woman. It is one of the meanest things you can say to her. After 13 years or whatever amount of time you have been with someone, that is one lesson you should have learned early on.

Kristin
Old 01/05/2008, 10:51 PM
This Space for Rent

Location: Sitting on a park bench...eyeing college girls with bad intent.
Quote:
I made my hubby think the tank upgrade from a 75 gallon to a 180 gallon was his idea.
Umm...we need a detailed how-to post on this one. And the mods need to make it a sticky.
Old 01/05/2008, 11:47 PM
Registered Member

lol!!!! new reefkeeping technique!!!!

good stuff...

YzGyz

2nd best way is to learn from ones own mistakes but the best way to learn is from others...

thx to Randy and so many other for making reefing that much easier
Old 01/06/2008, 12:03 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by reefkingdom

case closed.
Your either not married, divorced or have no clue about relationships.
Old 01/06/2008, 12:26 AM
Premium Member

You just need to get yourself a bigger sack.
You can't let that psssay whip u boy. You gotta whip- dat-pssaaaaa
Old 01/06/2008, 02:22 AM
Registered Member

we wear the same shirt playa-1 and my wife is right behind me as im writing this and laughing too.
Old 01/06/2008, 02:36 AM
Registered Member

I was at the milwalkee zoo the past year and they have a "reef" exibit, well an attempt at one. i was so proud when my fiance says in front of like 1oo peaple that my little 36 gallon tank beats that tank hands down. and this is a zoo we are talking about. she hated the fishtank at first, but then i started letting her pick corals out and now i walk into the liveing room and were is she? shes siting in front of the tank. ahh victory goes to me on this one.
Old 01/06/2008, 10:00 AM
Registered Member

one time I had about 4- 30gl and she said you should get rid of all them tanks and get one big tank. I said ok,I sold all of them and got me a 225gl. right now I have the 225gl set up as a african cichlid tank,but i also now have a 65gl high,I decided to set it up as a reef tank,she was trying to give me a hard time on that.But guess what bills being paid ,things going good,guess what I'm going to set up my reef tank.and oneday when the finiance{money} get real good I'm going to break down my big tank and set that up as a fish only saltwater. by the way I'm been married for 12yrs peace.they get what they want..I got to get mines .peace
Freshwater is Great but Saltwater is the best; Top Dog Tanks.take your time spend some money and you will do great:peace. just do it ;you only live once but you can also live again Acts 2:38
Old 01/06/2008, 10:12 AM
Premium Member

My wife is cool about it, she just hates when I buy something and hate it since you can't return much in this hobby. We don't have kids and make good money so its kind of you buy what you want, and I buy what i want.

Sucks for her since My hobbies are bowling(200 per ball, I have 5 right now)
Golf(always a ton of money)
Tank(don't need to put anything here)

She did spend 200 on boots the other day so I can spend 2g's on a tank I guess right?