Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Lighting, Filtration & Other Equipment
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06/10/2007, 10:05 PM
Registered Member

Just thought I'd send a quick heads up to us piddly 4-bulb T5 users. If you're looking for a super bright, crisp white coloration, a great combo is:

1 UVL Aquasun
2 ATI Aquablues
1 ATI Blue Plus

Seems to, thus far, give me the crispest white color out of many of the combos I have found. And the growth of SPS's has been incredible with this. I only have a couple of pieces of SPS (I mainly have Zoos) but what I do have is really taking off now. The reddish pinkish tint of the Aquasun seems to negate the vivid blueness of the Blue Plus and vice versa, and the Aquablues are pretty neutral looking, so when you put it all together you get a nice crisp white color. It's not as aesthetically calming as a combo with more blue to the mix, but for growth I don't know if you can beat this combo in a 4 bulb setting without getting a coloration that seems too yellow or too red visually. At least not with a mix of UVL and ATI bulbs, which I have in abundance. Word to the wise, though--acclimate slowly if you try this--it is BRIGHT! Like Metal Halide bright. At least over a 15 gallon tank it is.

Brent
Old 06/20/2007, 08:10 PM
Registered Member

So I'm trying to finish up plans for lighting a 29G (30x12x18) and want to do all out SPS. I wanted to use a 660 for 4 bulbs (I was thinking -high- light intensity), but am concerned about the sudden "light shock" the corals may receive when the lights turn on. Does anyone think this is a real concern or is the dawn/dusk effect just more for visual appeal?

And also, instead, I was thinking of perhaps overdriving two lamps and having two lamps normal (I don't particularly want to spend $500, but $380 might be reasonable :P) . If I went this route, lets say I used an ati blueplus, uvl aquasun, uvl superactinic, and an ati aquablue. What do you think would be the best ones to overdrive? Would there be any certain advantage other than visual appeal?

Any other thoughts or points to ponder?
Old 06/24/2007, 01:24 PM
Registered Member

Hey Grim, Ive got one for you.
I am soon to be receiving the ATI 8x39w Powermodule and had am really having a hard time deciding which bulbs to run. I bought a few but dont even know if Im going to use them now...
In your opinion, what bulb combo should I go with to maximize every color in the spectrum? (Im not really concerned with par since this is going ovr a 18" Deep tank)

Thank you for your input!
Old 06/24/2007, 01:33 PM
Be Afraid, Be Very Afraid

Use a Super Actinic, A GE 3000K and Blue Pluses and Aquablues to get a look you like. Maybe throw in a Midday or GE 6500K too.
Old 06/24/2007, 06:28 PM
Registered Member

What about a Fiji pink?
Old 06/24/2007, 08:13 PM

If you can find one throw it in
Old 06/24/2007, 08:35 PM
Registered Member

So does this look good?

Front

Aquablue
BluePlus
Super Actinic
Fiji Pink
Super Actinic
Aquablue
Blueplus
Old 06/24/2007, 08:40 PM

Good starting point. I would maybe seperate the pink and 3000K lamp more.

Blue Plus
Super Actinic
Fiji Pink
Aquablue
Super Actinic
Aquablue
Blue Plus
Old 06/24/2007, 09:33 PM
Registered Member

I wonder how the color would look? Thanks for your help!
Old 06/24/2007, 11:44 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by The Grim Reefer
Good starting point. I would maybe seperate the pink and 3000K lamp more.

Blue Plus
Super Actinic
Fiji Pink
Aquablue
Super Actinic
Aquablue
Blue Plus
So if you were going to buy any bulbs for an 8 bulb fixture, these are the ones you would get?
Old 06/25/2007, 12:43 AM

Yes, I would order an extra GE 6500K and blue plus just to be able to see different combinations.
Old 06/25/2007, 07:00 PM
Registered Member

Grim,

I've finally finished reading this thread. I've also read most of the other too. It's taken a long time but based on your recomendations (sort of I have access to Geisseman lamps at a discount so I found similar bulbs to your recommendations) currently I run on a 36" Aquatinics fixture

Front
Actinic+
Midday
Pure Actinic
Aquablue
Actinic+

The fixture is on the Aquatinics leg stands so it sits about 4"-5" above the water. My tank is 36"Lx12"Wx16"D would this bulb combo be enough for a Crocea Clam and SPS? Or should I switch to
Front
Aquablue
Actinic+
Midday
Pure Actinic / Actinic+
Aquablue

All Geisseman bulbs thanks for your help.
Old 06/25/2007, 07:39 PM

You have plenty of intensity, no worries.
Old 06/26/2007, 09:53 AM
Registered Member

Grim or anyone,

Wonder where I can find the information about the bulbs with pictures to show the colors, so I can understand the color of itself bulbs.

example of blue plus is a blue, aquablue is more likely white with a little of blue emit? that what I would like to know...

Thanks..
Old 07/05/2007, 09:28 PM
Enjoying every minute.

What par differences between a GE6500 and a GE3000? And how much does the color change?
Old 07/05/2007, 10:54 PM
Professional Hen Teaser

OT: Grim I just love your sig lines!

sorry for the hijack. carry on nothing to see here!
Old 07/05/2007, 11:16 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by chirocato
What par differences between a GE6500 and a GE3000? And how much does the color change?
The 3000K had a little more PAR. The 3000K lamp is a yellowish orange color and the 6500 is pretty much white. It does make a difference in color, pinks and purples will stand out better.
Old 07/05/2007, 11:51 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by aeroaustin
Grim or anyone,

Wonder where I can find the information about the bulbs with pictures to show the colors, so I can understand the color of itself bulbs.

example of blue plus is a blue, aquablue is more likely white with a little of blue emit? that what I would like to know...

Thanks..
It is really hard to get a decent shot that will show the differences. I think it is going to take someone with better photography skills than I have to adjust the settings to get an accurate picture.
Old 07/06/2007, 07:35 PM
Registered Member

I could probably get some pictures of my bulbs, but I wonder how much help that's really going to be. Even if I'd seen the color of a lit bulb before I bought my T5s, I don't think I would have made a more informed decision. You still don't know what the light is going to look like shining on your tank. Aeroaustin, if I were you, I'd just read through some of the color combinations people seem to like. Grim is also very good at helping people out with bulb combinations for a certain look. . .crisp white, bluish, good florescence, etc.

The guys at Reef Geek are also very helpful if you have specific bulb questions and want to talk to someone real time.

-Mike C.

Last edited by IslandCrow; 07/06/2007 at 07:43 PM.
Old 07/06/2007, 07:52 PM
Premium Member

At $20/bulb or so, why not get a variety so you can play with it for a while and decide first hand what you like.

Besides the electrical/heat effeciency and very uniform coverage of T-5s, I think that the relatively cheapness of the bulbs are a major advantage as it allows you to easily "fine tune" your lighting to your preference.

James
Old 07/08/2007, 04:07 PM
Registered Member

ok Grim, so I need more Yellow, orange, and Red in my tank. Right now they are washed out with 2 10K ushio 150 halides, one blue+, one super actinic, and one pure actinic. What should I go with. GE 3000k Daylight, midday sun, or GE daylight.........I will soon be switching to phoenix 14k bulbs on my halide.
Old 07/08/2007, 06:26 PM

Either the GE 3000K or UVL Aquasun would be my best guess. Probably the 3000K.
Old 07/08/2007, 08:48 PM
Premium Member

Grim, after browing through some T5 threads I think I have decided to switch over. I have a 48" tank 24" deep. I am looking to use 4 54w T5'S with IC Reflectors and IC Ballasts. What combination of bulbs would you use? I am more interested in looks than PAR mainly becuase it is not an SPS tank although I do plan on keeping high light clams, and high light anemones and maybe a montipora in the future.

What 4 Bulbs would fit my needs? What would you use if you were in my situation?
2 150W 20k MH
Gravity Fed H&S AF150-F2001
Eheim 1250 Return
2 Maxi-Streams on Swirler Steins
Aqua Jr
Tunze Osmolator
Old 07/08/2007, 09:28 PM

Front
Blue Plus
Super Actinic
UVL Aquasun