Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Lighting, Filtration & Other Equipment
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04/23/2007, 07:06 PM
Premium Member

Angry Does this type of crack make the tank unusable?

I was given a full reef set-up from a lady who just wanted it out of her house (she was living in her daughters house and conveniently re-modeled....)
I cleaned out the tank today, and noticed this sort of super thin area of glass which must have come off as if it just "lifted" from the underlying glass. It is about 1/2 inch in diameter, and about 1/2 mm thick. I actually found the piece of glass in the sand as I was filtering it out. It appears that 1/2 of the lifted glass area came off under the silicone, the other 1/2 was above it. It is located along the bottom seam, on the right hand side when viewing the front pane. It is a 120 gal all-glass reef ready tank with dual overflows, so it would be a nice one to keep and use. Here are a couple pics to get your oppinions, and whether or not I could just fill in the area with silicone just to be sure. It didn't leak a drop when it was taken down a couple weeks ago. (I didn't take it down myself). Thoughts please?

Inside the tank looking at the crack.....

Outside the tank looking at the crack...

D
Old 04/23/2007, 07:09 PM
Registered Member

at the bottom of the tank...i would think so...think of the pressure...id rather be safe than sorry
Old 04/23/2007, 08:11 PM
Registered Member

Looks like an impact took place right there.. YOu can see a hairline crack starting to split up the top of it as well... I wouldn't risk it..
Old 04/23/2007, 09:56 PM
Premium Member

What if I tried to silicone it, and leak test it in the garage for a couple months?

D
Old 04/23/2007, 10:14 PM
Registered Member

No! i wouldn't even consider it. Your future investment with a tank like that would be worth the extra 200-300 for a new tank.

!!!!!!!!!!!!!FOR SALE!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 04/23/2007, 10:46 PM
Registered Member

I would not use that tank. You can see the hairline crack and with glass its only a matter of time before it spreads.
Old 04/23/2007, 10:51 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by duhfactor
What if I tried to silicone it, and leak test it in the garage for a couple months?

D
Even if it did not leak in the garage, it'd leak at the most inconvienant time once you have it in your house.
Old 04/23/2007, 11:54 PM
The FM UL Sys. guy

If you use that tank, you'll have alot to lose. I'd go ahead and get a new tank. For the money and time that goes into this hobby, having the tank break and losing everything is not worth it.

Is on the road to recovery! Everything looks nice though ;)
Old 04/24/2007, 12:15 AM
Registered Member

A new tank is a very small investment to make in the long run.. If it cracks and you lose all of your livestock and flood your house it will cost you a whole lot more than 2-300 bucks for a new tank.. IF you are trying to do it on the cheap craiglist is your friend...
Old 04/24/2007, 12:27 AM
Registered Member

I agree with the others. It is not worth it and by the looks of it, it is only a matter of time. Spend the money and get a new one or lose more money later.
Old 04/24/2007, 01:08 AM
Registered Member

I just bought one and its more like $500 for a new 120g RR. That really sucks. Since theres a piece of glass missing from the bottom the new silicone wont hold under all that pressure since silicone is flexable.
Old 04/24/2007, 01:18 AM
Premium Member

That Crack in your picture will spread under load and the tank will fail.. I would either get a new peice of glass at a glass shop and replace it or just buy a new tank.. Like others said the price of the tank compared to all your other equipment and live stock isn't that much. But its one of the most if not the most important things to have right!

OK, so what's the speed of dark?

Why do we drive on the parkway and park in the driveway?

Isn't is it a bit unnerving that doctors call what they do "practice"?
Old 04/24/2007, 01:21 AM
El Jefe de WRS

$200-300 for a new tank? Its just one busted panel. Id have the local glass shop cut you a new piece of glass and redo that panel... its just glass and silicone.
Old 04/24/2007, 01:29 AM
Phyto tank master

Quote:
Originally posted by hahnmeister
$200-300 for a new tank? Its just one busted panel. Id have the local glass shop cut you a new piece of glass and redo that panel... its just glass and silicone.
x2

Shop around for glass price, some are way overpriced.

5-6$/sqr foot for 3/8" is average.

1 pep. shrimp, 10 nas, 1 astrea , 1 cerrith snails

Some softys

PH 8.1, Alk 11, NH3/4, NO2, NO3 0, Temp 77-79F, SG 1.025
Old 04/24/2007, 01:56 AM
Registered Member

Price of new tank, cheap, damage to house when tank cracks (if your not home) thousands of bucks.
Old 04/24/2007, 08:26 AM
Premium Member

Quote:
Are you saying that I can just have a new piece of glass cut for that panel? How do you remove the old panel? I assume it is a matter of removing the top and bottom plastic rails by cutting away the silicone, then cut throught the silicone attaching that broken end pane to the tank, followed by siliconing the new panel in place? I guess then, I would re-glue the top and bottom black plastic rail or rim thingy back on?

D
Old 04/24/2007, 03:00 PM
El Jefe de WRS

You got it. The best thing for removing the old panels BTW is monowire... the thinnest, strongest metal strand you can get... as the biggest problem with getting out the existing glass is that its such a narrow gap between the panels.
Old 04/24/2007, 03:38 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
You got it. The best thing for removing the old panels BTW is monowire... the thinnest, strongest metal strand you can get... as the biggest problem with getting out the existing glass is that its such a narrow gap between the panels.
Would guitar wire work? I'm not sure where to get monowire, although I'll search for it on the net. I assume then that there is a bead of silicone between the new glass, and the end edges of the glass it will be attached to? Then a nice thick fillet of silicone that goes into the corners? How long should it cure?

D